I'm tired of living in denial and being out of shape

Options
What's up everyone!!! Being one of many members on MFP, I know that alot of us hit that breaking point by one day by looking into the mirror, and coming to the realization that we didn't like what we saw, or needed to work on where we were physically, and said enough was enough. It was time to get in shape and change how we look, so in the end we can change how we feel. My breaking point was when my stomach starting getting so big that it was hard to even bend over and breathe to tie my sneaker.....that's crazy!! so with that being said....i open this discussion up to any and everyone. What was your breaking point?

Replies

• Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    When my daughter told me my stomach was as big as her dad's!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I had grown out of ALL my clothes! Now most of them are too big!!

Plus i read forks over knives, that changed my lifestyle completely.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would have to say just one day looking in the mirror and saying, "I'm tired of being fat"
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my husband came home after a 12 hour day and I was still in my pajamas, in bed, in the same position I was in when he left. He looked at me, out of love and concern for myself, and said he couldn't live with a wife he didn't know anymore. After the 4th baby I was fat!!!! I was in denial, had the same problem with bending over to tie my shoes. I knew with the diabetes in my family, heart disease, and high blood pressure I had to look long and hard in the mirror and do something. I wasn't going to risk my marriage anymore! I wasn't going to buy a size 22 pant because my 20's were too big. I was ashamed. That was my breaking point. I have bounced around since then, but I have never gone completely back.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My mother saw a picture of me, she hasn't seen me in a year and said "I didn't realize you had gotten THAT big" I looked at the picture myself and I couldn't agree more.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    looking at pictures with me and other family members. a picture of me and my 21 year old sister. she is half my size and has 3 kids! i cant even say my weight is cause of having kids! i have none!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it was in December of 2011 when we had a health assessment at work for our insurance and were informed that we have to pay more for our insurance if we were not within healthy guidelines by December 2013. I have about 11 more months to get there for my weight. My four other markers are good. So money was a strong motivating factor for me, but the best part of losing weight for me was how much better I feel now vs a year ago.

I have tried many times, lasting only a few days (the longest was 3 weeks). I am so grateful to MFP and all the inspiration I get from the people here.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I went to my brother's graduation from basic. He has always been tiny but in pictures with his tiny girlfriend, our tiny mom and our tiny sister, I looked like a heifer. It has been a lot of up and down hill for me but I need to do this for myself and maybe next time I'm in pictures with them (which won't be until August) I'll look like I fit in more.
  • My breaking point was when a friend of my boyfriend told me he didn't think I looked like my sister at all. We were kind of surprised beacuse we think we do look alike. When I asked him why he didn't think so, he said "Well you have a huge butt and your sister doesn't".

Auch.. He said that on July 20th, and I can still feel that one. :sad:
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    Mine was when after ignoring my family members telling me I was fat and out of shape constantly for months I went away with my cousins and my Grandparents.My Grandpa spent the whole week telling me how much prettier than me my cousin was and how much fitter and how she was better than me at everything including physical activity that i snapped. I came home and made some huge changes, she is still thinner than me but she is also smaller than me and well i dont think that she is prettier than me at all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am grateful to my Grandfather, what he did was cruel but it worked.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would have to say just one day looking in the mirror and saying, "I'm tired of being fat"

^^^Same here. There wasn't any one thing, I just got up one day and decided it was time to drop the excuses and regrets and put in some work. Got a way to go but I'm loving the new me.... physically and mentally.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Though I was nearly 500 lbs for most of my 20's, it didn't motivate me to change, ever. It wasn't until a few years back that I found out I had diabetes type II along with high blood pressure and cholesterol. Haven't looked back since.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I got my yearly blood work done and my cholesterol is two points from being high and my Triglycerides were around 250. I need to get healthy again!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My niece and her husband were all about clean eating recently because of the book In Defense of Food... so I read the book and I'm convinced I need to take much better care of myself. So I am.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to go to the doctor. I needed a flu shot but didn't want to go to my doc's for fear of being weighed and guilted. I had convinced myself I wasn't THAT unhealthy but I could see the bad road I was headed towards.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I could not get off the couch easily and I could not stand looking in the mirror anymore. Like most it has been a battle of up and down. Winters being the worst and I am so looking forward to spring. But because Spring is coming, it is time to get at it and do this right!

Good luck all!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to go to the doctor. I needed a flu shot but didn't want to go to my doc's for fear of being weighed and guilted. I had convinced myself I wasn't THAT unhealthy but I could see the bad road I was headed towards.

Ugh....same here. I HATE going to the doc, because I hate stepping on that scale!!!! So, I finally decided to take matters into my hands and DO something about it! Now, eating MUCH cleaner and exercising!! Actually feeling amazing and soooooo much better!
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

^^^Same here. There wasn't any one thing, I just got up one day and decided it was time to drop the xcuses and regrets and put in some work. Got a way to go but I'm loving the new me.... physically and mentally.

^^^ I'm not to this point yet but it wasn't any one thing. The "time to do it" side just got heavier than the "later" side of the scale. It does help though that some people at work are making changes that are influencing others (like me).
    I
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The scale hit 211. Plus, as the OP mentioned, bending over to tie my shoes was getting uncomfortable with my growing pot belly.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ...mine was upcoming surgery(which I am still going to have) and going to the doctor and hearing the word, "Obese"... that word, even though I know I am, was so hard to hear... made me very sad and angry at myself for letting myself get to this size because of my own doing. So, I have buckled down.