Not allowed to diet! arrgh

Options

Replies

• beautmel
    Options
    Wow Taunto, you feel pretty strongly about things! Sorry if my post "sickened" you. That was not the intention.

I have a VERY strong will and opinion and I don't need anyone to "stop me from doing dumb things" I'm sure you've given advice at some stage in your life, quite possibly on this website. I can assure you that Feminism is alive and well, luckily I'm confident and intelligent enough to know when advice is for my best interest and to take it or when not.

How about not letting your husband 'ban you' from doing what you like? I'd start there.

This!!!!

YUP! He is obviously abusing her and controlling her life. I'm sure she's not allowed to think for herself she is a woman after all. Better call the cops. :noway:

Gimmie a break. Her husband is looking out for her health and well being. And by stopping her from doing something stupid. He is doing what he SHOULD do. Not just sitting there and being all I ll support you no matter what dumb crap you do even if it is hurting you. He is being involved in her fitness as he should be, they are married after all. Or he could just sit on the couch and let her do what she wants. That sounds much better.

Yeah but.... like what will happen to feminism if we allowed men in our lives to help us and stop us from doing dumb things?

People on these forums just sicken me sometimes
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    To be fair, I think Taunto was being sarcastic against the husband hating.

Wow Taunto, you feel pretty strongly about things! Sorry if my post "sickened" you. That was not the intention.

I have a VERY strong will and opinion and I don't need anyone to "stop me from doing dumb things" I'm sure you've given advice at some stage in your life, quite possibly on this website. I can assure you that Feminism is alive and well, luckily I'm confident and intelligent enough to know when advice is for my best interest and to take it or when not.

How about not letting your husband 'ban you' from doing what you like? I'd start there.

This!!!!

YUP! He is obviously abusing her and controlling her life. I'm sure she's not allowed to think for herself she is a woman after all. Better call the cops. :noway:

Gimmie a break. Her husband is looking out for her health and well being. And by stopping her from doing something stupid. He is doing what he SHOULD do. Not just sitting there and being all I ll support you no matter what dumb crap you do even if it is hurting you. He is being involved in her fitness as he should be, they are married after all. Or he could just sit on the couch and let her do what she wants. That sounds much better.

Yeah but.... like what will happen to feminism if we allowed men in our lives to help us and stop us from doing dumb things?

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

This!!!!

Unless you agree that a man who you're married to isn't allowed to stop you from physically harming yourself, then the sickening isn't from you :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My OH has banned me from sleeping with other women. Apparently it is not in my best interests.

Having read this thread I now have to say: to hell with her.

Man power!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You're incredibly lucky to have a well informed husband who cares about you, looks out for you, and knows what he's talking about in regards to health, exercise, and lifestyle.

Please do not replace his good advice with the bad advice you'll get from some people here.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I think her husband is being sensible to be honest.....You DO need the calories whilst training at the gym, and going on some silly crash diet is a batty idea, so good for him being sensible.

Eat healthily, workout, and you'll get results. Do some crazy diet and its likely that you'll put it back on anyway.

This ^^^^ take measurements and also pictures to see the changes.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and weigh 175 in this picture (30 pounds more than you, and only 2" taller)...I started lifting weights over a year ago, and got into heavier weights when i joined MFP last March.

Dont focus on the number...focus on body composition.

I may lose a few more pounds, who knows? but i am not worried about it.

33110506_8190.jpg
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So I've been the same weight for about 3 years now, always around the 141 lbs mark. I'm 5'9...

Just before Christmas I got down to 137 lbs and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Fast forward 3 weeks of holiday and festive eating and I've come back 9 pounds heavier. 146lbs. I feel so annoyed and not happy with myself. Hubby signed me up to a gym just before Christmas and I started weight training. I'm back in the gym now picking up where I left off.

The problem is, normally I would have just gone on a diet, maybe Dukan or something to lose the weight but he is banning me from doing any form of diet! Apparently I need the calories for training etc. Which makes sense but it's driving me crazy as i'm not losing anything! In fact, i've gone UP another pound in the last few weeks.

I need some motivation/support to keep going with the weight training. I know it will be worth it in the end but is it possible to change my shape but stay the same weight? Or even weigh more?

First off, I wouldn't let my husband ban me from anything... however I would appreciate his concern and his assistance. WHy did he sign you up for a gym? DId you want to go to one?

At 5' 9", 141lbs is a good weight. Any issues you see with your body wouldn't be due to how much you weight but your body fat % which is only changed when you build muscle. To build muscle you need to eat at or above maintance calories and lift heavy weights. Stop focusing on the scale. Eat enough calories, eat more than enough protein and lift heavy weights. That will change your body more than losing weight will. When you eat at a calorie deficit and try to lose weight you normally will lose a portion of muscle in the process... it's just what happens. Build muscle and you will see the scale go up so get off the scale. You will see initial gains of water weight as your body attempts to rebuild your muscles which get torn when you lift heavy weights.

It is possible to change your shape with muscle. Muscle takes up much less space than fat so even though you may weight 5-10lbs more than you do now you will look smaller.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I "gained weight" while strength training.

fb-cover.jpg

valkyrie.jpg

Ask me if I give a damn. :smile:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You're incredibly lucky to have a well informed husband who cares about you, looks out for you, and knows what he's talking about in regards to health, exercise, and lifestyle.

Please do not replace his good advice with the bad advice you'll get from some people here.

Brett beat me to it!!!

I have a feeling you say "Banned" like he is forcing you to do it. It sounds like he actually knows a thing about nutrition and exercise....Maybe you should take his advice.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options

fb-cover.jpg

valkyrie.jpg

Atta girl !!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I did not read all of the responses, but I did read your post. It is absolutely possible to stay the same weight and change your body. Last year between January and June I went from wearing a size 10 pants to size 6 while only losing 2 pounds the whole time. I was lifting 3-5 days a week at the time with minimal cardio.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Numbers aren't everything.

This girl looks BETTER at 140 pounds than she did at 117, and she eats a lot of food throughout the day. No diets for her!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

(But seriously, do what you like. Your husband shouldn't "ban you" from diets.)
  • mellllls
    mellllls Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you need enough food to be safe while weight-lifting. so you need to eat a certain amount of calories but you can still make sure everything you are eating is healthy. have you weight-lifted before? is this something you want to do?
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

I need some motivation/support to keep going with the weight training. I know it will be worth it in the end but is it possible to change my shape but stay the same weight? Or even weigh more?

And also YES, yes it is possible. Take measurements.

Yep, measurements is the way to go!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ He wasn't referring to YOU at all..... :)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat :) 1 lb of cotton is 1 lb just as 1 lb of iron is. The difference is the volume they occupy. I am sorry for being pedagogical about it...just couldn't help myself!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Um...yes, I have to agree with the people who have suggested you immediately correct this weirdness with your husband telling you what to do with your body. It's your body--you have to be in control of it.

Apart from than that, you seem far too fixated on the scale, which is pretty counterproductive when you're lifting weights. Take measurements with a measuring tape, go by the way your clothing fits, etc. Don't get caught up in some arbitrary numbers on the scale. It's just not the best way to measure progress, especially when you're talking about a few pounds in either direction. Scales are notoriously stupid. Who cares what you weigh if you're feeling and looking better? I have been the same clothing size at 135 and 150. However, I was way hotter at 150 because I was really strong, muscular, and curvy as opposed to what is known as "skinny fat". If I had been all hung up on the scale, it wouldn't have happened for me.

Totally agree with this!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have accepted the fact that 145 is an impossibility for me. It is in the healthy range, but after having my body fat tested, I realized to get to 145 would require a loss of lean body tissue.

Dump the scale. You are WELL within a healthy range. Take pictures and measurements as that shows a truly accurate picture.

As for the husband...seeing as how you are completely healthy (based on weight/height)...he's right. He is telling you not to diet because it is insane to cut calories, especially if you are lifting. In order to gain muscle (which then burns fat) you need to eat MORE so that your body has fuel to build.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

fb-cover.jpg

valkyrie.jpg

Atta girl !!
    ^this, and meow.