Help please! Weight gain after exercising.

Options
Okay so to start off, last Jan 2012 i weighed 246lbs. I have gotten down to 194. Then i slacked off my dieting and racked back up to 209lbs over the holidays. I do not want that trend to continue. I joined a gym with my best friend last week and worked out 40 minutes a day for 4 days and ate better than i had had been. I hadnt worked out in months. Today i got on the scales and it said 215.6lbs......almost 7 lbs in one week?!?!? and with all that cardio???? the cardio im doing is the "cross trainer" i do about 3 miles on in a day. I feel my muscles a bit achy in my arms (from pushups) and my lower abs and thighs im assuming from the cross trainter........is this water weight? is this a normal amount?

Replies

• sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If your muscles ache, they're retaining water. Doubly so if you are not drinking enough water - your body just keeps holding onto it. If your muscles are sore they're also probably growing/building, so you're adding some weight with that as you start building muscle back up. Just be patient, drink as many oz as humanly possible today and you'll probably see a more true reflection of your weight tomorrow.

If you're doing everything right and the number on the scale goes up, you're gaining muscle and/or retaining water. It's nothing to worry about!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much you exercise if your eating too much..You didn't mention anything about what you eat or if your logging calories.

You have to eat in a deficit to lose any weight.. When you do both of those the weight will start to come off but you have to patient..
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I workout out alot the scale goes up, when i don't exercise for days the scale goes down. I think it has to do with water weight and your muscles. Makes me not want to workout at all Lol. I know the scale would not budge other then up and down fluctuations but when i didn't work out for 4 days the scale dropped everyday, as soon as i worked out the next day the scale was up 0.6