Thinking about CHIA SEEDS.. what do you think?

Options
13»

Replies

• blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about using them too! I actually just downloaded a chia cookbook off amazon so I could get ideas of how to use them! I'll let you know what I think when I try some recipes. They are actually having a free download deal today!

http://www.amazon.com/Chia-Seed-Cookbook-Nutritious-ebook/dp/B00BA5FIW4/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359998382&sr=1-5&keywords=chia+seed+cookbook
  • cklowery36
    cklowery36 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just found out about the benefits of chia seeds this weekend when I read Women's World magazine. There's a book coming out "the Aztec Diet." I might not get it, but I definitely got the seeds! I've only had about 2 shakes between yesterday and today and I must say that I wasn't hungry so far...I had a shake, a 1/2 salad at my job's cafeteria, 2 squares of dark chocolate (it's chocolate - c'mon!) and I had plenty of water. I'm still not hungry even after my workout! We'll see what happens as my metabolism kicks up: this is my first day back working out.
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    Great ideas here, I'm gonna stop at Sprouts for some on the way home from work!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The stated benefits of chia seeds are absolutely not bunk. They are genuine nutrition facts. I use them, and I love them. I get them in the Health Food section at Hy-Vee and use them in oatmeal, cereal, salad, and even a scone recipe. You may want to buy kosher, because chia seeds can't be washed, so they need to be grown cleanly. Some people have a hard time with the texture, but I like it! Enjoy!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating chia seeds, because of all the touted health benefits (omega 3s, etc), but I also feel they help make me feel fuller ... so for me a natural appetite suppressant. I have a big sweet tooth, so anything that helps curb my sweet cravings is a lifesaver. I was introduced to chia pudding at a Whole Foods demo. Wow. Here's the recipe and I try having it on hand all the time now.
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon honey (or agave or maple syrup)
    1 cup coconut milk (can also use almond, soy or cashew, but I found almond milk did not thicken up as well as coconut milk - besides coconut milk made it very yummy)

Makes 1 serving, so I triple the recipe at least. Lasts 2 weeks in frig. Mix all together, chill for 4 hours (allows chia seeds to absorb liquids and thicken). Stir every hour during those 4 hours to prevent clumping. You can also top with fruit, coconut flakes and/or nuts, but I eat mine plain. Enjoy!

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    I agree!! I think I might need to try this :)
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ...snip...
    If you soak them for a few minutes in liquid they get this gel coating around them, and I guess they could make you feel fuller, but I only use 1 Tb so that isn't enough for me to tell any difference in how full I feel.

I soak them in water overnight and drink it before/during a run as somebody suggested it would stop my stitch and it seems to work :) If you run and have never read 'Born to Run' you should, it talks about a Mexican tribe that (apparently) can run 100's of miles on a few handfuls!!