tortillas- I will miss u!

Options
I was shocked that the corn tortillas that are usually a staple at meals in my house are that bad. 24 g of carbs in one little tortilla...who eats just one? lol Ok, another food on the list of what to cut out!

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut them out (unless you want to) I've found new tortilla's that are less calories/fat/carbs and just as tasty. The ones I like the most (so far) are Cesar's - Whole Wheat Wrap, 80calories, 4 g fat and 11g carbs
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joe's Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas if you can. I'm sure there are other brands with reduced carb tortillas if you don't have a TJ's near you.
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    TY but no to the wheat tortillas- my husband is mexican- he would never go for that! lol But for myself, maybe I will try them- never had wheat ones ever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, what's wrong with carbs?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to give them up, just control the quantity. Log them and next time you go to the grocery store check the labels and buy the best one. Check the calorie content more than the carbs, unless you are doing a low carb approach to your eating.

Remember that this is not a temporary thing; therefore, don't try to be someone that you are not. Your roots and culture will influence your choices and your level of happiness, which in turn will determine your level of success. Look for ways to incorporate your flavors, foods, and recipes; all you have to do is transform them into a healthier and lower calorie content version of itself.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'd be sobbing hysterically if I had to give up my tortillas. If you love them that much, they do have low-carb ones available.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    TY but no to the wheat tortillas- my husband is mexican- he would never go for that! lol But for myself, maybe I will try them- never had wheat ones ever.

they have other kinds than just the wheat, I was just telling you what I had. I don't know the calories and such on the regular ones cause I don't have them at my desk
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hmm. There's not really that much wrong with carbs. And there are TONS of alternative options that would be more in line with what you imagine a tortilla should be. And why COULDN'T you eat just one, and fill the rest of your plate with veggies or something else? One is plenty. *shrug* Cutting out something that you love completely is pretty much a setup for failure...
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options

That.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Nothing.

But avoiding "unecessary" carbs in terms of the calories that come with it might be the question. It depends what people are doing with their diets. I try to avoid foods with high amounts of carbs, such as bread, noodles, etc, and try to aim for carbs from fruits, veggies and some dairy products. If I eat high carb foods like the ones I mentioned, I get hungry fairly quickly and have already wasted a good part of my calorie limit. The other stuff keeps me fuller. Perhaps OP still wants to enjoy the tortillas but have spare calories?
  • Toumani
    Options
    sorry it posted twice for some reason
  • BrenWOW
    Options

Nothing.

But avoiding "unecessary" carbs in terms of the calories that come with it might be the quesiton. It depends what people are doing with their diets. I try to avoid foods with high amounts of carbs, such as bread, noodles, etc, and try to aim for carbs from fruits, veggies and some dairy products. If I eat high carb foods like the ones I mentioned, I get hungry fairly quickly and have already wasted a good part of my calorie limit. The other stuff keeps me fuller. Perhaps OP still wants to enkoy the tortillas but have spare calories?

Thanks for understanding! :) And one small tortilla is never enough. lol
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    Hmm. There's not really that much wrong with carbs. And there are TONS of alternative options that would be more in line with what you imagine a tortilla should be. And why COULDN'T you eat just one, and fill the rest of your plate with veggies or something else? One is plenty. *shrug* Cutting out something that you love completely is pretty much a setup for failure...

That was a joke- like Jay's potato chips. Mexicans don't ever eat just one tortilla. And yes, I cut out a lot of things completely and am not failing, thanks .
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    Thank you guys for your ideas and I will try the wheat ones, they don't sound bad.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

That was a joke- like Jay's potato chips. Mexicans don't ever eat just one tortilla. And yes, I cut out a lot of things completely and am not failing, thanks .

Yeah, I actually did realize it was a joke, but when you went on to say you were going to completely cut them out, that's why I said it's not really necessary or sustainable to do that. At least not for me. If you can consistently cut out things forever, more power to you. I truly wasn't meaning anything in a mean or sarcastic way, I was trying to offer sincere advice, but I guess I'll just take it elsewhere. Good luck!
  • Toumani
    Options

Thanks for understanding! :) And one small tortilla is never enough. lol

Yea, people on this site start to have a coronary once you start even insinuating or even remotely suggesting you are trying to reduce your carb intake. It's a knee-jerk reaction to people preaching to them that Atkins was wrong, bad, and so on. So they simply assume you are striving for a life in ketosis.

A bit presumptuous, I know.

But I for examaple can't do the high carb low fat diet I had when I was younger. I just don't burn up the calories and I get far too hungry, thus eating too much (in terms of calories). I need to eat more protein, get carb from different sources. And budgeting with lower carb, higher protein foods can allow for feeling full and satisfied and not going over your daily calorie intake.

Note to the carb bashing fanatics: THIS IS NOT A POST SUPPORTING THE ATKINS DIET

(Sorry OP, just wanted to get that cleared up in advance before this thread gets flooded)
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    You don't have to cut out tortillas, just try whole grain ( i prefer) or whole wheat. :)
  • Toumani
    Options

Yeah, I actually did realize it was a joke, but when you went on to say you were going to completely cut them out...

See what I mean? :wink:
  • Toumani
    Options
    sorry it keeps double posting when I edit
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Are you eating true corn tortillas? I find it hard to believe that one small corn tortilla has 24 g of carbs. Most corn tortillas that I know of are only about 30-40 calories each, which would mean about 5-10 grams of carbs at most. Double check your NI and also look for others in the grocery store. I buy some made by a local vendor that are very thin, about 4" around and only 25 calories/4 carbs each.