tortillas- I will miss u!

Options

Replies

• allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

But I for examaple can't do the high carb low fat diet I had when I was younger. I just don't burn up the calories and I get far too hungry, thus eating too much (in terms of calories). I need to eat more protein, get carb from different sources. And budgeting with lower carb, higher protein foods can allow for feeling full and satisfied and not going over your daily calorie intake.

This.

My rule of thumb is if the carb has had the fiber yanked out of it, or just naturally has no fiber, it's got only a very, very teensy, weensy small part in my diet. I am not on a paleo diet, but my entire life it seemed our digestive system was built for a specific diet. Then man screwed with it during the Agricultural Age (lol, sort of a joke)...So I try eating the way I think we originally were meant to eat. Now, I don't eat "wild game" so I haven't gone that far. Still eat steak, chicken, pork , all in moderation. I also do not eat much dairy (sometimes a little crumbled blue cheese in my salad, or a piece of mozzarella). But generally speaking, my goal is to stay around 50-75% raw. I'm already at 50%. It works for me.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 tortilla
    Amount Per Serving

Calories from Fat 6
    Calories 52

% Daily Values*

Total Fat 0.68g
    1%
    Saturated Fat 0.109g
    1%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.341g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.166g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    0%
    Sodium 11mg
    0%
    Potassium 45mg

Total Carbohydrate 10.71g
    4%
    Dietary Fiber 1.5g
    6%
    Sugars 0.21g

Protein 1.37g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 2%

(www.fatsecret.com)

9 net carbs/tortillia + 3 tortillia's per meal (say no to the rice and beans :frown: ) = 23 net carbs and 156 calories.

Either you are eating some super hugh tortillas, or you got your info from here. Don't forget, this is the wikipedia of food - all user based info, and full of errors.

Wheat tortillas are no where near the same. They can be good in their own right for sandwhiches and such... but no where near the same are corn. I wish I could find corn tortillas where I live... I can get fried taco shells, nachos, but no corn tortillas.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    the serving size for corn tortillas is usually 3...

so it would be 23g for 3 tortillas.
  • determined136
    Options
    :bigsmile: I love tortilla and have tried a lot of different ones.

The best I have found are Tortillas Del Rancho - Healthy Harvest

54 calories, 13 carbs, 1 gram of fat, 7 grams protein, 7 grams of fiber and 0 sugar.

They are whole wheat and the best thing is they are moist. Most whole wheat tortillas are dry. Don't give up the things you love...just find a more healthy option.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I never liked whole wheat, or corn tortillas. I do love white flour tortillas, though. I found a low carb, high fiber one that fits my macros, and tastes enough like a white flour tortilla to satisfy my wants, and needs.

I can only eat peppers in fajitas. Without a tortilla, I can't eat a fajita.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Yeah, I actually did realize it was a joke, but when you went on to say you were going to completely cut them out...

See what I mean? :wink:

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Anyway...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

But I for examaple can't do the high carb low fat diet I had when I was younger. I just don't burn up the calories and I get far too hungry, thus eating too much (in terms of calories). I need to eat more protein, get carb from different sources. And budgeting with lower carb, higher protein foods can allow for feeling full and satisfied and not going over your daily calorie intake.

This.

My rule of thumb is if the carb has had the fiber yanked out of it, or just naturally has no fiber, it's got only a very, very teensy, weensy small part in my diet. I am not on a paleo diet, but my entire life it seemed our digestive system was built for a specific diet. Then man screwed with it during the Agricultural Age (lol, sort of a joke)...So I try eating the way I think we originally were meant to eat. Now, I don't eat "wild game" so I haven't gone that far. Still eat steak, chicken, pork , all in moderation. I also do not eat much dairy (sometimes a little crumbled blue cheese in my salad, or a piece of mozzarella). But generally speaking, my goal is to stay around 50-75% raw. I'm already at 50%. It works for me.
    Well, if you want to eat how our ancestors did, raw is definitely NOT the way to go. Homo erectus (our direct ancestor) was cooking food with fire 1 million years ago. The human digestive system is based on cooked food.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat one everyday. Not corn though, whole grain. Corn tortillas have a funny taste to me! Try another kind
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Mission makes a Carb Lite (or something like that) tortilla that's only 80 calories and are pretty good. Give 'em a try.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Its a better choice than bread. I am pre-diabetic, and they have tortillas at target that have a net 6g of carbs... I would know, I have them stocked in my pantry. Remember Carbs-fiber= Net carbs.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can you maybe eat them every OTHER day and still have them? I actually am in contest prep right now and they are still in my plan; 2 mission white corn tortillas every day, and they are 110 calories for 2 of them.

You don't have to give them up entirely, but maybe just eat them less often. Surely a couple of tortillas a few times a week won't kill all your efforts, especially if you plan ahead and eliminate some other carbs that day. Choose tortillas and skip bread with dinner or have eggs for breakfast instead of oatmeal.

Just examples of course... but you can have them here and there and probably be okay.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    funny-cat-pictures-i-has-a-tortilla-what-i-do-wif-it.jpg
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    huh?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    That's fine - I'll eat your tortillas.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    That's fine - I'll eat your tortillas.

Bullsh*t you will...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I was shocked that the corn tortillas that are usually a staple at meals in my house are that bad. 24 g of carbs in one little tortilla...who eats just one? lol Ok, another food on the list of what to cut out!

Mission tortillas are 22g carbs for TWO corn tortillas.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHZz9iY6LBovVUBVfayQD8uCplumT-6uI2gXTOwebabQm-yNSr
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on the tortillas that I eat...usually if we are having tacos I will eat one or two with a tortilla and then have more of the taco fillings from a plate.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I was shocked that the corn tortillas that are usually a staple at meals in my house are that bad. 24 g of carbs in one little tortilla...who eats just one? lol Ok, another food on the list of what to cut out!

What's so bad about that?
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are low calorie tortillas out there such as wheat or multi-grain. I eat them every now and then and love them. But even if I get one that is a lot of calories, I still eat them. I just eat more vegetables with them or add my calories to the tortilla instead of something else.