Not getting the whole "Eat more to lose more" mentality

Options
I just read the Road Map post everyone talks about. First of all, I am confused in general, but basically according to that I should be eating close to 1900 calories a day.

MFP has me at 1810 a day if I want to lose one lb a week. I never even get close to that (I probably average around 1500-1600 a day) unless I make a conscious effort to eat 1800 calories - and usually that involves me having two helpings of dinner to get there (so I think I am doing it wrong...)

So if I don't eat 1800 calories a day, and only eat 1500 people say "YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH!" and tell me that is why I am not losing weight. However, if I change my goals in MFP to where I want to lose two lbs a week, MFP tells me I shoudl be eating 1320 calories a day.

So, it makes sense to me that, as long as I am eating between 1320-1800 calories a day, I should be losing, right? Which means, if I am averaging 1500 calories a day, I should be losing 1-2 lbs on a weekly basis, but I have lost only one pound in the last three weeks.

As for "starvation" mode, I would think that if I were eating below 1200 calories, that my body would freak out, but I really don't understand how 1500-1600 calories would send my body into starvation mode, especially if MFP says I could eat 1320 and lose weight.

I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And beyond frustrated.

(It all makes me want to go eat a donut then take a nap. Kidding - kind of).

Replies

• this_time_nextyear
    Options
    Are you exercising enough to fill in the deficit?
    Your TDEE (which i assume you calculated) is to maintain weight, TDEE - 20% gives weight loss anymore not recommended, assuming by your stats you arent morbidly obese? Then to lose 1lb per week you need to be in deficit of 3500 calories. If your calorie deficit from TDEE - 20% is equivalent to that then you should lose, if not you need to make the rest up with exercise.
    Its not as simple as just eating less to lose weight, its about the whole package to do it healthily. Your deficit will result in weight loss on its own, just maybe not enough for a 1lb a week. Does this make sense?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me. I eat TDEE - 20% = 1017 c. That works.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There's so much more to this. More than I have time to explain at the moment but I'll search for the info I used and I'll message it to you. Your diary looks great, you just need more information to work with.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you change your goals to 2lbs per week, MFP does a simple math equation to figure out your calories. It doesn't mean that it's healthy, it's just telling you the answer to what you input. Unless you have over 75 lbs to lose, you shouldn't be expecting a 2lb per week lose, it just isn't sustainable. Eating 1500-1600 calories probably isn't going to put you in starvation mode. What is your BMR? You should be eating at least that amount.

I find it pretty easy to eat 1800 calories a day because I haven't cut out things some people consider unhealthy like peanut butter (my friend on WW always freaks out when she sees PB in my pantry), avocados, olive oil, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc. Healthy fats can be very calorie dense and get you where you need to go. I tend to snack through the day because I get hungry every few hours. I used to save up all of my calories for the end of the day, and then I'd always fall short. It's easier now that I've increased a little all of my calories at meals and snacks.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Are you very tall or very active or very overweight? Sounds like your TDEE is around 2300? That's kinda high unless you're very active, very tall and/or very overweight (I'm 5'4", 160-ish and run 25 miles a week and my TDEE isn't that high).

Since any caloric deficit is calculated off that TDEE (via mfp or roadmap or whatever), that number needs to be correct. The reason I'm questioning the 2300 (aside from it being kind of high) is that mfp assumes no exercise until you log it in and "earn" it. The roadmap includes that exercise already. Your numbers are off by 100-meaning that you burn 700 calories a week in exercise. That just doesn't add up to a TDEE that high (unless you are very tall, very active or very overweight).
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You have to find the number that works for you, where you aren't hungry all the time, but still losing consistently. Mine is about 1500.

Sometimes when the scale isn't moving the measurements are dropping. Very important to watch those numbers too. If you haven't started watching and tracking measurements I highly recommend it.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising enough to fill in the deficit?
    Your TDEE (which i assume you calculated) is to maintain weight, TDEE - 20% gives weight loss anymore not recommended, assuming by your stats you arent morbidly obese? Then to lose 1lb per week you need to be in deficit of 3500 calories. If your calorie deficit from TDEE - 20% is equivalent to that then you should lose, if not you need to make the rest up with exercise.
    Its not as simple as just eating less to lose weight, its about the whole package to do it healthily. Your deficit will result in weight loss on its own, just maybe not enough for a 1lb a week. Does this make sense?

I did everyting that the guy posted a while back about the "Road Map". According to that, my TDEE - 20% is 1906. So that means, I would need to eat no more than that, to lose.

BUT, I am not losing, so people have said I am not eating enough, but I really don't understand that concept. I think that is where I am confused.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    There's so much more to this. More than I have time to explain at the moment but I'll search for the info I used and I'll message it to you. Your diary looks great, you just need more information to work with.

You mean except for the pint of Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt I had last night...pretend you didn't see that.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    If you change your goals to 2lbs per week, MFP does a simple math equation to figure out your calories. It doesn't mean that it's healthy, it's just telling you the answer to what you input. Unless you have over 75 lbs to lose, you shouldn't be expecting a 2lb per week lose, it just isn't sustainable. Eating 1500-1600 calories probably isn't going to put you in starvation mode. What is your BMR? You should be eating at least that amount.

I find it pretty easy to eat 1800 calories a day because I haven't cut out things some people consider unhealthy like peanut butter (my friend on WW always freaks out when she sees PB in my pantry), avocados, olive oil, cheese, yogurt, milk, etc. Healthy fats can be very calorie dense and get you where you need to go. I tend to snack through the day because I get hungry every few hours. I used to save up all of my calories for the end of the day, and then I'd always fall short. It's easier now that I've increased a little all of my calories at meals and snacks.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

My BMR is 1733. My TDEE is 1906. I have about 45 pounds to lose. I am 5'9" 211 lbs.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? Portion estimation is a huge source of error.

Also, measuring 1 lb in 3 weeks could easily be 3 lbs in 3 wks in reality depending on your measurement error, water retention, etc. Unless you are taking daily weight measurements and using a trend to see your progress, its really tough to see a 1 lb difference.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I practice this and it's been steady, but slow, which is great because anytime it's been fast I haven't kept it off. It does take a lot of research, and a some tweaking, but it's worth it if you take the time to wrap your head around it.

And one pound in three weeks? That's awesome!!! Your body is being stubborn, but you can be more so. :wink: It will adapt and you'll end up losing. Just wait for it!!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It looks like you just joined in December so it hasn't been that long. I would say pick one version (MFP or TDEE or whatever you decide) and stick with it for a minimum of 4-6 weeks before trying to switch to something else. You have to give whichever way you decide time to work before saying if it works for your body or not.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like eating. If I can still reach my goals (eventually) by eating a lot, I'm all for it. Also once I reach my goals I can pretty much continue eating the same way I am now. It's not like I'll be going off and on a "diet".
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    also, based on your stats, your BMR is 1726, but a sedentary TDEE is 2072. Small difference, but you would take your percentage from 2072.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I understand your confusion and frustration. Part of the initial allure of MFP was that it would "take the guesswork" out of everything, and the reality is that it doesn't fully. It provides discipline through monitoring, but you still have to learn the skills to choose food wisely and stay involved. At first (that is, a few days ago!), it was a frustrating realization, but I'm beginning to accept it.

I've been furiously studying everything here, and wading through the often conflicting information in these forums, but you are fortunate that this_time_nex has steered you in the direction that it appears most knowledgeable folks here agree on. That you need to look at this holistically. Think of it like steering a ship - even if you are going towards the general direction you are headed in, you can't take your hands off the wheel because there is no autopilot. There will be some stormy weather.

But I know what you are saying: can someone just give me some guidance on how to set basic parameters?! So, here is what I've gathered: MFP recommendations, if you choose to use them, are best used with the 1 Pound a Week recommendation. For a lot of people, if you choose to lose at a rate any higher, the caloric recommendation it suggests ends up actually being lower than your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), which is the minimum calories that your body needs to "function" without trying to seek energy through significant catabolism. This is why you are getting hit back and forth between being told that you aren't eating enough - if you try and eat at the "2 pound a week level" (which is below BMR), the prevailing wisdom is that - while you'll lose weight, you'll also take significant muscle with it, and risk stalling in weightloss as the body starts to downregulate because it perceives a "starvation".

So, the goal it seems is to eat at a deficit from your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), but never less than your BMR. You have to steer the ship through these two goalposts, and that seems to be the key. The added confusion I - and you, and I think alot of people - have, is that MFP's allows you the option to undereat too much, without enough of a warning or explanation.

Does this make sense?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It could also be that your BMR/TDEE aren't as high as they are calculating. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Do you know your body fat %?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It looks like you just joined in December so it hasn't been that long. I would say pick one version (MFP or TDEE or whatever you decide) and stick with it for a minimum of 4-6 weeks before trying to switch to something else. You have to give whichever way you decide time to work before saying if it works for your body or not.

This right here!

Each time you make adjustments to your calorie intake, etc... you should give your body at least 4-6 weeks to adjust. Do NOT weigh yourself during this period.

Focus on drinking more water, eating healthy, getting enough veggies, physical activity level, etc... and many times the scale is lying POS, so instead of weighing yourself, take your measurements and gauge how your clothes fit.

Good luck!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I workout 3-4hrs a week and my tdee to lose 1lb a week is 1900cals (well more like 1950-80 but I round it down) I do a 30 min kettlebell routine and 30 mins cardio 4 days a week and then rest friday-monday. I use the scooby workshop calculater as you enter how many hours you exercise. I find that way alot easier for me. Iv been losing 1lbs a week when eating 1700cals and eating back exercise calories (netting probably 1900cals anyway) but my HRM broke so im just going with this.
    Maybe just stick at it and see how you go? You have to keep at things for weeks before you find the right way for you. Im losing every week after following mfp guide and losing maybe 1lb every 2-3 weeks. So I love this way and then I dont need to eat back exercise calories as its already counted for.
    Hope you keep working towards your goals!
  • aguethler
    aguethler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    TDEE by activity level is SO hard to gauge on your own. I recently got a bodymedia armband and it has me burning between 2300 and 2700 calories a day with usually only 200-400 coming from formal exercise. Using the best calculators I could find on the internet they all had my TDEE at less than 1200 so no wonder I was having trouble. At 1200 where MFP had me start I really was starving. I lost great for about 4 days and then I got so sick. I am a little person 132 and 5'2" but I am very active in little ways all day long taking care of 4 little kids. I had been eating 1400 calories and not losing. After getting the armband I started eating 1650 and I started losing again. Now I am still eating that and have stopped losing with the same workout regiment, I am actually going to up it again to 1800 and see how that goes since that will be at least 500 per day deficit for me. The long and the short is that if you eat too little your metabolism slows down to make the food stretch to fill you bodies needs.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hi there! my highest weight was 240. I'm down 80 lbs. I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I thought I'd comment because I think I've been in a similar place. So I'm trying to be a LITTLE critical, but know that it comes from a place where I feel like I know what you're going thru, ok?

I think you might be the kind of person where the old addage "a calorie is a calorie" doesn't apply. As in, if you are really going to try to eat at the "low" end of your calorie range, you have to make sure that every calorie is as healthy as possible. Frozen pre-packaged lunches, pudding cups, and chocolate covered pretzles might fit into your CALORIE goals for the day, but they might not fit into the goals you're trying to reach ultimately. I'm not saying never have snacks or processed food. But if ANYONE out there is only eating 1200-1500 calories every day, then every calorie has to be filled with as much nutrition as possible. Eating more whole, nutritious foods thruout the day will leave you feeling better and more full.

I don't know if all of the things you're logging as "snacks" are eaten at the end of the day, but if you find yourself making poor choices after dinner, you could try eating more calories earlier in the day. That way you're not as hungry late in the day and less likely to grab something unhealthy, like a tub of ice cream.

I'm not suggesting you eat more calories. I'm suggesting that you try making the calories you DO eat, more nutritious. It might help you start losing again when you're giving your body the fuel it needs to succeed.