Preparation H for Loose Tummy Skin

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have heard of good results with Prep H for under eye puffiness and it works wonders for a severe sunburn, as it shrinks swollen tissue. However, I would think that a large amount of belly skin would be a bit too much to ask.
    I know that skin will shrink back SOME after weight loss, but it takes some time, and depends on age, genetics, and amount of damage that has been done to the skin.

I worry about having excess skin after I have lost all of mine, since I am turning 50 this year, but so far I haven't had too much, and since I am losing slowly now, it seems to have time to firm up some.

I wonder also, if wearing spanx or other compression garment will help hold the skin in place so that it can heal and shrink back easier. You wear one of those for several weeks after lipo or tummy tucks to help the skin shrink back, so perhaps it would help with lose skin after weight loss??
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Is it rubbing and causing irritation? Some insurance companies will cover the removal if it is a medical issue. Check with your PCM/Dr.

YES! This is true! If the excess skin is causing irritation/infection lots of insurances will cover the skin removal.... This isn't the same as a true tummy tuck which also tightens the muscles damaged from pregnancies, but at least the skin would be gone!
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    good shapewear helps tremendously and is cheaper than surgery.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 pounds between 2007 and 2008...in 2009 I had a lower body lift to remove the excess skin...there is no getting rid of it...it all depends on the elasticity of your skin...some have good, and some not so much (me). I had the surgery because I was not planning on having any more kids and because I had worked so incredibly hard to lose the weight that I wanted to feel comfortable in my skin and I too had the big flap like in the movie click. Fast forward to 2012...I had a baby and guess what...I gained about 65 - 70 pounds... It was also my 3rd c-section...I'm busting my buns right now to lose the weight...my stomach doesn't look like it did in 2008 but I have no idea what it will look like after losing this baby weight...I'm praying that I tighten up a little...I'm not expecting to look like I did before but if I can get close to it I will be happy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it for under eyes etc (Miss Congeniality?)

But it's only a temporary fix, if it did have an effect on yoru tummy it wouldn't be a long term one.
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    How about I try it and let everyone know how it works. I'm not expecting miracles, just something. I've been using collagen creams, and my husband seems to think they've made a difference. The article I read said the lanolin in the Preparation H helps pull skin back. Here's a link to the article. It's Yahoo! News, so it's probably not worth much anyway.

http://voices.yahoo.com/seven-simple-ways-tighten-loose-skin-without-surgery-5934638.html?cat=5

I was going to suggest that :) Fortunately it isn't too expensive to try it out for a bit. Good luck!
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jclimey
    jclimey Posts: 14
    Options
    Let the kids work their way through college, they will appreciate it more and get your tummy tuck. You deserve it.
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    Preparation H wont fix anything in the long run, but it is a quick fix helper. I use the cream for the bags under my eyes and to tighten up my stomach skin when I go have a swim with friends. The cream shrinks veins and reduces water retention as I understand so your skin might appear tighter but its not permanent. I even read that bodybuilders use it to reduce further waterweight for more definition. Its not healthy to use it often though I think.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    How about I try it and let everyone know how it works. I'm not expecting miracles, just something. I've been using collagen creams, and my husband seems to think they've made a difference. The article I read said the lanolin in the Preparation H helps pull skin back. Here's a link to the article. It's Yahoo! News, so it's probably not worth much anyway.

http://voices.yahoo.com/seven-simple-ways-tighten-loose-skin-without-surgery-5934638.html?cat=5

That's a pretty rapid weight loss--takes the skin a while to catch up. Most of the stuff I checked said that it can take two years (or more) for stretched skin to shrink back. And the older you are, the less likely it is to shrink back (collagen is lost as you age). Some people have a lot of hyaluronic acid in their skin--some have a little (hyaluronic acid helps to build collagen). You could try a supplement with hyaluronic acid in it.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I love how these articles use words like "seem tighter" "appear more tight." It either is, or it is not. "Appear" and "seem" to just give it a tone that says it's a self induced illusion. That Yahoo article indicated that severe loose skin "might have to be corrected with surgery if it is severe, but if not there are many other options available to help tighten the skin." -If it is NOT severe- there are options. I don't think there are any real "gimmicks" that tighten skin other than exercise, eating well, and time/patience - and in severe cases (like myself) surgery is the only way it's going to succeed. Good luck on your quest for less flabby!
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    oh and it made my acne scars lighter. The yeast cell extract in it helps for scars.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of using Preparation H to shrink loose belly skin? I've had four children (a set of twins) and two c-sections. I have lost 60 pounds since June and have gone from a size 16-18 to a size 6-8. The skin almost looks like Adam Sandler's flap in "Click". I can even flop it back and forth. It also leaves a weird looking bulge in my jeans. I've been exfoliating and using skin firming creams plus drinking lots of water. My fear is that it will always be like this. I can deal with a little bit of saggy skin, but this thing is ridiculous. At this time surgery is not an option.

If the issue with surgery is cost don't be so quick to say it's not an option. Excess skin can be a health risk (because of clots) and if your doctor recommends it, insurance will pay.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I am a single mommy to a beautiful little boy and total I have 120lbs to lose, So far I have lost close to 70lbs and have noticed that even with weight training my arms and belly are starting to get flabby. I have a good bit of loose skin so far and I am scared to see what it is going to look like with the last 60lbs.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely done having babies. I have shape wear, but it's all too big, so maybe I'll just invest in some more spanx. I read it can take up to two years for your final results, so maybe I'll just wait the two years and then decide what to do. Gag, in two years I'll be a less than two months shy of 40. That would be a great 40th bday present from my husband :)
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    And congratulations to everyone on their weight loss achievements. It feels great, doesn't it? I guess we can say our flappy belly tongues are our trophies (like that makes it any better, lol).
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You try wearing a compression band around your tummy?

Or wait till the kids are out of college for that tuck?

You may just have to find a way to accept it though.

You have four kids you carried in that tummy flap.

own the flap, love the flap.

It is just skin. on one part of your body.

Buy a tummy support bathing suit in a flattering cut so you can show off all your assets you have worked hard on, like your toned legs, arms, and cleavage.

Dont let the tummy flap bring you down, focus on everything else that looks great!

I am sure with all your hard work you look great, could it be you are being your worst critic?
    In your pic you look great and I dont see an odd bulge?!

^^Best comment EVER.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You try wearing a compression band around your tummy?

Or wait till the kids are out of college for that tuck?

You may just have to find a way to accept it though.

You have four kids you carried in that tummy flap.

own the flap, love the flap.

It is just skin. on one part of your body.

Buy a tummy support bathing suit in a flattering cut so you can show off all your assets you have worked hard on, like your toned legs, arms, and cleavage.

Dont let the tummy flap bring you down, focus on everything else that looks great!

I am sure with all your hard work you look great, could it be you are being your worst critic?
    In your pic you look great and I dont see an odd bulge?!

^^Best comment EVER.

Yes---Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans often have "tummy panels" that keep everything tucked in and lookin' good (well, at least until you take your clothes off--but husbands are very forgiving of bodily imperfections. At least those worth having). :smile:
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oh and it made my acne scars lighter. The yeast cell extract in it helps for scars.

I wonder if it would have any effect on the appearance of stretch marks? Apparently Vicks Vapor Rub is supposed to have a positive effect on the appearance of stretch marks if applied consistently over time - something to do with the menthol or whatever it is boosting the circulation in the area of the skin that it's applied to. I've never tried it though.

I've never tried the Preparation H thing either, but it's been common knowledge for a good two or three decades that a lot of models use it to tighten under-eye bags. I first read about it when I was a teenager and have seen it mentioned in various places since. I'd never heard of anyone trying it on stomach skin before today, but always got the impression that any effect it was supposed to have would only last until it was washed off again.

Maybe the potion that ultimately cures all tummy skin issues will be a mix of Vicks Vapor Rub and Preparation H, no doubt priced at ten times more than the usual cost of the two put together. I ought to get in there first and knock up my own blend - I could be on to a fortune :)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Try it if you want to however the ingredients will not be powerful enough to tighten a larger amount of skin in your belly area.

Also, Yahoo news isn't one to take as fact. They tend to report a lot of crap that isn't actually true nor do they always report all the facts. Yahoo news can be a bit of a joke with their useless articles that are sometimes posted.

Try spanx... it is a fix when you are wearing clothing. It will help you feel more confident.

If the loose skin bothers you that much are there ways you can cut some money in your budget to save up to have it removed? I know you have four children which does make it a bit harder but if there are ways you can cut some money in your budget you can save for the the surgery at some point in the future. I'm not sure how much it costs but it's worth looking into. Depending on what insurance you have sometimes it can be covered under a health insurance (only if it causes issues.. constant rashes type of thing I believe).

Skin will also shrink over time... so it may not look the best now but it may improve in a year or so. A lot of people have reported their skin has shrink quite a bit over a period of a year or two.

If you work on building muscle it will help as well.