Grossed out!! Can't eat!

Options
Ughh so a friend posted on facebook a thing that was on tv tonight about the rodents and insects that get ground in our food that we eat! Oh yes and cant forget the lovely maggots, I just want to throw up, Im hungry but I can't bring myself to eat!!!! Does everyone overlook that stuff and just continue to consume products they eat??? Or do they stop eating them... the only thing left to eat would be fruit and veggies!

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You'll get hungry enough soon. Just think of it as extra protein.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    You've been eating them all these years, why stop now? :tongue:
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In some parts of the world, people eat things we consider strange. It's ok. You will regain your appetite.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    If it really bothers you that much, eat things that don't get ground up, lol. Surely you have a farmers market or CSA available or local farmers/ranchers that you could buy from. Try googling what you can get locally sourced and I bet you'd be surprised. We raise our own lamb and chicken and get venison from my dad who hunts; so no maggots or rodents there :-) I know not everyone can do that, but in my little area alone, there are farms around where I could buy grassfed beef, free range chicken, lamb, goat, etc. Sure it may cost more, but if it bothers you that much, just buy and eat less meat.

Personally, that kind of stuff does bother me, but that is not my reasoning for raising my own animals for food, growing my own garden and buying local. I just personally value free range, ethically treated animals for my table and it's cheaper for us to raise our own that way. Plus I love growing my veggie garden :-)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    You have been doing it since now..... so why stop :D
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You'll get hungry enough soon. Just think of it as extra protein.

Does MFP have a calorie count for them?

I gotta make sure I'm logging everything!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving for highly processed foods like candy-bars I deliberately go find consumer complaints about the nasties found in them.

Of course I deliberately avoid looking into the nastiness of the foods I do need to eat just to live.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You'll get over it.
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't eat meat, chicken or fish( they made us watch nasty movies when I was in grade 7, haven't eaten meat since! I have celiac, so I have to eat gluten free items, and I'm allergic to nuts! Things I eat are very limited as it is! I hadn't ate from a can in years(found an ant in pineapple) but this past December I was tired from a days work and went to the store bought myself a can of vegan soup, and wouldn't ya know it, the 3 spoon full a small white worm floated to the top!!! I will never eat out of a can again! I do buy some things in bottles, but I am constantly looking to see if I see anything in it. I haven't ate a certain kind of chips since I was like 15 cause it was on the news someone found a bug in them :( I easily get turned off thing, wish I wasn't this way but I am!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Make sure you log those maggots you eat.. I hear they may have a lot of protein.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    They eat bugs in China, and it doesn't seem to hurt them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTIs9fvkUA

:D
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I lost my appetite once...found it shortly thereafter.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Your fruits and veggies probably have bug/animal/human poop on them, so you should probably give up eating everything that wasn't created in a sterile laboratory.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It is gross but I try not to think about it.:sick:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Those items were in there before you knew about it and you ate it and lived, nothing has changed just because you know about it now. :) You'll get over it if you get hungry enough. Or if you don't you will forever change the way you eat. :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone might need a big bowl of sticky rice for dinner!

pineapple+sticky+rice+recipe+microwave.jpg
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To be honest, there's probably ickies all over your fruit and veggies too. I know people who stock produce, who also happen to be people who don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom (worked at a grocery store for a while). :ohwell: Just face the fact that we live in an "unclean" world. Worry about the gross things that you can actually do something about, such as your own hygiene, etc. And wash your fruit and veggies before you eat them! :laugh:
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do wash all fruit and veggies in soap, I've been doing that since I was about 14, one day I just got thinking you know how many hands probably touched these berries before their going in my mouth!! It was then I started washing them. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since I was 14 also because I can't stand the thoughts of who may have touched my food in there and what they touched prior. The only person cooking I eat after is myself, and my mom, don't eat after my grandparents, my boyfriend, sister, father, ect. I just cant bring myself to because Im scared their not meeting my expectation in a kitchen. I wash my hands to frequently :( Had that problem for years.... I've gotten better over the years but still not how most would define normal.