Grossed out!! Can't eat!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I know what you mean! Every once in awhile, some revelation in the news will gross me out and I don't feel like eating for awhile, but I always get over it. I'm in no position to personally raise everything I eat, so I do the best that I can to avoid known contaminants (such as a recall on certain products) and carry on. In other parts of the world, everything that crawleth upon the earth creepeth into the menu; so why not here?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Ughh so a friend posted on facebook a thing that was on tv tonight about the rodents and insects that get ground in our food that we eat! Oh yes and cant forget the lovely maggots, I just want to throw up, Im hungry but I can't bring myself to eat!!!! Does everyone overlook that stuff and just continue to consume products they eat??? Or do they stop eating them... the only thing left to eat would be fruit and veggies!
    But what happens when you bite into an apple and find half a worm in it? dunno.gif
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    reasons to take the kids backpacking, hunting and fishing, perhaps to a farm.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Things do not have to be ground up to have bugs in it.

~says the woman who had a more than up close and personal encounter with a caterpillar in cauliflower~
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Yeah, I don't eat meat, chicken or fish( they made us watch nasty movies when I was in grade 7, haven't eaten meat since! I have celiac, so I have to eat gluten free items, and I'm allergic to nuts! Things I eat are very limited as it is! I hadn't ate from a can in years(found an ant in pineapple) but this past December I was tired from a days work and went to the store bought myself a can of vegan soup, and wouldn't ya know it, the 3 spoon full a small white worm floated to the top!!! I will never eat out of a can again! I do buy some things in bottles, but I am constantly looking to see if I see anything in it. I haven't ate a certain kind of chips since I was like 15 cause it was on the news someone found a bug in them :( I easily get turned off thing, wish I wasn't this way but I am!

Do some research on Orthorexia.

Nah, orthorexia is an obsession with eating healthy. This sounds like something a little different.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Yeah, I don't eat meat, chicken or fish( they made us watch nasty movies when I was in grade 7, haven't eaten meat since! I have celiac, so I have to eat gluten free items, and I'm allergic to nuts! Things I eat are very limited as it is! I hadn't ate from a can in years(found an ant in pineapple) but this past December I was tired from a days work and went to the store bought myself a can of vegan soup, and wouldn't ya know it, the 3 spoon full a small white worm floated to the top!!! I will never eat out of a can again! I do buy some things in bottles, but I am constantly looking to see if I see anything in it. I haven't ate a certain kind of chips since I was like 15 cause it was on the news someone found a bug in them :( I easily get turned off thing, wish I wasn't this way but I am!

i agree! look into orthorexia as well as obsessive compulsive disorder.

and lol about some of the questions to diagnose orthorexia "Do they spend more than 3 hours a day thinking about healthy foods? When they eat the way they're supposed to, do they feel in total control? Are they planning tomorrow's menu today? Have they become stricter with themselves? Does their self-esteem get a boost from eating healthy? Do they look down on others who don't eat this way? Do they skip foods they once enjoyed in order to eat the "right" foods?"

Sounds like most MFPers! :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    If you want to be really grossed out - look into how your sense of smell works...

When I was a kid, learning that odorants are actually particles made me realize that there are some things that you don't want to think about in any detail. :)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    #firstworldproblems

^this.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    I'm more worried about the E Coli and Salmonella in meats and fruit/veg than I am about a bug in my food.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Don't eat processed foods. Eat Cleannn!!!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    I am a Gluten Free Vegan, so no, i do not continue eating those gross things. I make sure I know everything I put in my body. Right now I am just working out portion control, but I will not pay corporations to poison me.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    I have intentionally eaten some weird stuff, had spicy crickets and chocolate covered ants... doesn't bother me too much. Not to mention the fact that we eat spiders in our sleep... There are a lot of facts about live that may surprise you if you dared to search about it. Don't worry so much, at least it is not arsenic or belladonna or something life threatening like that, considering you have lived through these many years without dying from it yet.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Fresh foods with have less crap in them, going to make some chicken barley mushroom soup now
  • Most everything you eat will have unfavorable things in it.
    Meat (from mass producers) have feces, bacteria, etc.
    Market vegetables have those same as stated above, plus occasional live creatures.
    Milk has pus, blood, and scabs in it.
    As others have said, you've been fine up until now, and there isn't much way to avoid it unless you grow and butcher your own food.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I had a parisitologist (a person who studies parasites) tell me once that the best way to keep from getting sick is to stop eating *kitten*. Everything you eat is contaminated in some way even the veggies you eat is covered in the doodoo from cows and migrant workers. FDA allows a certain number of rat hairs, **** roach limbs, and mice turds in EVERYTHING you eat. Orgainc food has a huge microbial load what do you think fertilizes the food? Even irradiated food still has all the bacteria carcass left on it. So eat up its the joy of being a living organism we eat other organisms. Thats why its a good idea to wash your food and cook the stuff that can make you really sick.
  • Does everyone overlook that stuff and just continue to consume products they eat???
    As long as I don't see what I'm about to eat being prepared, then I'm happy remain blissfully ignorant about what small creatures may or may not have been crawling on it.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    You'll want to stay away from wine too. Lots of dead birds and snakes in wine.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    You'll want to stay away from wine too. Lots of dead birds and snakes in wine.

...and organic foods, too. pesticide free = bugs galore! Oh, and the fresh, clean vegetables in my home garden frequently have bugs. So, stay away from home garden grown fruits and veggies!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member

Nah, orthorexia is an obsession with eating healthy. This sounds like something a little different.

I actually agree, orthorexia isn't quite right, might be OCD. There's a pretty big venn-diagram overlap of orthorexia and OCD symptoms- might be somewhere in there.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member

As long as I don't see what I'm about to eat being prepared, then I'm happy remain blissfully ignorant about what small creatures may or may not have been crawling on it.

My philosophy exactly. In this case, ignorance is bliss.