how many grams of sugar per day

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about sugar by itself, but remember that sugar = carbs. As long as you stay in macros for that you'll be fine.

sugar = carbs????? OH NO that is even worse….we are all screwed….bahahahahahahaha
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I track sugar just so other people can see how much I eat.

I regularly get well over 100 grams. Sugar is yummy.

Don't target anything for sugar. Target fat and protein and don't worry much about any other macros.
  • dart47
    dart47 Posts: 2
    Options
    lower your caloric intake to 1400.
    lower your protein intake to 50-60g
    lower your sugar intake to 50g <- or less

There is no point of you having a high protein intake at this time.
    If you are looking to lose weight and building muscle to burn fat, even 60g of protein is sufficient.
    (don't drink protein shakes that contain sugars or artificial sweeteners like sucralose).

Fruit sugar is healthy sugar, if u go over ur sugar limit from FRESH fruits, thats ok. Also simple sugars from fruits don't convert to fat. I've never seen anyone become obese eating Apples and oranges have you?

I maintain a 4-8% body fat all year round, and have been for the last 10 years.
    I advise people in natural no supplemented diets only. And stay away from diet fads like carbless or atkins. They're all fads. They yield temporary results but are not good for maintenance and cause long term damage.
  • MariFleming2020
    MariFleming2020 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Added sugar is the problem - in fact fructose is the problem - which is half of Sucrose (glucose + fructose) and is the sugar in fruits. Fructose in fruits is OK as it is hard for the body to get at, usually being bound up with fibre. Fructose in fruit juices is NOT OK as the binding fibre has been removed. Many fruit juices are higher in sugar than Coke! Most processed foods - even savoury ones - have added sugar.

Fructose in Sugar/Sucrose is very easy for the body to get at, it plays havoc with insulin resistance and the liver turns it to fat if it is not used up by exercise immediately (like it does alcohol). Added sugar (Sucrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup/HFCS) in foods should be limited to 25gm daily - which will cut out most 'low fat' (high sugar) foods, all non-diet soft drinks, all fruit juices, all confectionary and cakes and almost all processed foods for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is the problem - in fact fructose is the problem - which is half of Sucrose (glucose + fructose) and is the sugar in fruits. Fructose in fruits is OK as it is hard for the body to get at, usually being bound up with fibre. Fructose in fruit juices is NOT OK as the binding fibre has been removed. Many fruit juices are higher in sugar than Coke! Most processed foods - even savoury ones - have added sugar.

Fructose in Sugar/Sucrose is very easy for the body to get at, it plays havoc with insulin resistance and the liver turns it to fat if it is not used up by exercise immediately (like it does alcohol). Added sugar (Sucrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup/HFCS) in foods should be limited to 25gm daily - which will cut out most 'low fat' (high sugar) foods, all non-diet soft drinks, all fruit juices, all confectionary and cakes and almost all processed foods for you.
    Context and dosage is always the deciding factor. Nothing wrong with sugar or fructose otherwise. Also the sugar in fruit starts to be metabolized as soon as you put it in your mouth, so the fiber argument again is about context and dosage and consuming a drink with added sugar with a meal that has lots of fiber will be treated the same as having a piece of fruit.