Co-Workers trying to sabotage me

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    they are nasty, mean people, and you deserve better, do this for yourself, screw them!
  • feistymoon
    Options
    Ignore them. The novelty of having something new to jibe someone about will wear off when they don't get a reaction.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I agree with a lot of people here. Are you closer to any of them? Maybe take one aside and say "Hey man, I know we joke around here and it make work fun, but I am serious about losing weight and being healthy and I need all the support i can get, please knock it off". Soemthing like that. Maybe send it in an email?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Tell them they better be nice or your MFP friend will come beat em up ;)
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    BTW. congrats on being healthier. 1 month in, many more to go :) keep it up!!
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    It's just how guys are...

Turn it around and discuss their foods, tell them once you've got your weight down you might tuck into one of their lunches as without moobs you're worried you won't fit in etc.
    If you just take it they'll keep doing it...
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    "Hey man, I am all for joking around, but I am trying to save my life here. Could you please knock it off"

I like this one. Its not nasty and to the point. Just say it with a friendly but serious attitude otherwise they might just take it as a joke.
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Some people here great stuff u can say to them to get them to stop but if it doesn't work. Try ignoring it and telling urself that your success will be the best revenge.
  • taneequadent
    Options
    this has been happening to me alot lately, i almost wish i would have just kept my mouth shut about my goals. Now everyone is a nutritionsit and personal trainer full of awful advice. But i wont let it discourage me. Ill let the lbs i drop do all the talking, you shoudl do the same. Good luck
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Tell 'em to "Put up or shut up." If they know so much about what to do - challenge them to lose 10% of their weight within 6 months and see who wins.
  • pamcushing
    Options
    Sounds like these coworkers have so little going on in thier lives that they are focussing on the only new thing to talk about, your change. You could try eating elsewhere or at a different time to avoid it. You could ask them for thier support. Or you could distract them with something shinier and newer than your diet. Perhaps set a goal and reward for yourself, and have them participate in helping to choose what the reward could be for a certain milestone. That may get them invested in your success, or might send you deeper down the rabbit hole of sabbotage, I am not sure how big of A-holes your coworkers are.
  • hrubyk1804
    Options
    Ex-Lax brownies. That will show them!

:laugh: :laugh:
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There is one way you can ultimately beat them down beyond repair. Prove them wrong

Reach your goal, get your rockin bod out in the office and shout 'HATERS GONNA HATE!' ;-)
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.

Your mouth, your body. say no, don't eat it.

If they bother you say SURE give me that doughnut and throw it in the trash in front of them.

Problem solved.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started this weight loss attempt on Jan 1st, my co-workers have been trying to sabotage it. They started out with normal teasing, which I'm fine with. Nothing wrong with a few jokes for motivation, and I give them plenty of crap in return. But lately they have been watching everything I eat at lunch, and talking about how good/bad my meals are. They are also offering me food and soda, hoping I break my diet.

I know they are just goofing off, but it's really getting on my nerves. I don't want to get TOO angry with them because they are (usually) a good group of co-workers. Don't want to drive them away and risk losing my job. Does anyone know how to POLITELY handle this? Also, is anyone else having this problem at work?

I would start thanking them every time they tease you or offer you junk food (that you turn down). Say "thanks for testing my willpower guys, but I'm stronger than my urges today. I'll pass." If you don't feel like that's straightforward enough, perhaps pull one of them aside that you're closest with and explain that while you don't mind the joking, that it does actually bother you for them to bring it up so often. Or, if you've got a good HR manager or something similar, try talking to them and see what they suggest. I'd be more irritated with the criticism of the content of my chosen meals than being offered junky stuff, so I can see your frustration. Just calmly explain that this is your decision, that you're taking a step in the right direction for your health, and hope that they eventually realize you're serious about this. Good luck, and if you need extra support on this site feel free to add me.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    "Hey man, I am all for joking around, but I am trying to save my life here. Could you please knock it off"

Yeah, and if you don't knock it off, I'll be passing out knuckle sandwiches. Good news is that they are calorie free!!
  • FabnFit2013
    FabnFit2013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian - i get crap even for this at work - i know they are goofing ...but somehow it doesnt bother me at all...this si what i believe in and am doing it... giving the "finger in my head "
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    They can **** themselves, dont accept it but speak up. When i decided to stop with drinking and smoking and working out a couple of "buds" were *****ing and tell me bs that i was more fun when i did those things. Well i told them they better accept and if they got something to say they better say it right now. Have no contact with those individuals anymore.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ex-Lax brownies. That will show them!

This. LOL.

But in all seriousness...I'd probably flip out. That's rude and super unsupportive.