Obsessed with low fat cottage cheese

So I recently started eating LF cottage cheese and find I really enjoy it. I love it with fresh fruit, and have been trying it with different fruits, I like it with pepper also. So far my favorite fruit with it is strawberries. Didn't like clementines with it or black berries thought they were too acidic for it. Bananas are ok...

I like that it is low fat, high protein and high calcium, and low calorie..

How do you all eat it? Looking for more ideas thanks!

Replies

• victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    I like it with fat free sugar free jello powder mixed in, makes it like dessert. One packet of jello mix to a large cottage cheese container. My favorite is lime jello mix, with mandarin oranges and craisins(if I have the calories for the last two lol)
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    I don't like it at all so I might have to try some of these ideas.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Read in a recent copy of Oxygen Magazine that no fat cottage cheese is not so good, but the low fat is a good choice. Can't remember if it was added sodium or what.

I'm struggling to find a good brand of low fat cottage cheese. I'm kind of a cottage cheese snob. lol...
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    So I recently started eating LF cottage cheese and find I really enjoy it. I love it with fresh fruit, and have been trying it with different fruits, I like it with pepper also. So far my favorite fruit with it is strawberries. Didn't like clementines with it or black berries thought they were too acidic for it. Bananas are ok...

I like that it is low fat, high protein and high calcium, and low calorie..

How do you all eat it? Looking for more ideas thanks!

I use it in Lasagna. Instead of just straight ricotta. I mix it half and half.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    love it with cantalope and some pepper. YUMMY!!!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    I like to sprinkle cinnamon & stevia on it. Tastes a little like ice cream.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 671 Member
    Yes, for lasagna, spaghetti pie, and I have a recipe where it is made into a cookie crust with a jelly center. Flaky and delightful. However, I love eating it straight. I like the way it squeaks on my teeth. tmi?
  • I make my own salsa and decided to try it one day with cottage cheese and it's been a favorite of mine for a few years now...low cal with different kinds of salsa...but very tasty..I think :) . And sometimes I put a few crumbled up Tortilla chips on the top.
  • I love it plain, though only the large curd (plain that is). Or with peaches, blueberries, a spoonful of strawberry jelly, tomatoes with a dash of salt, pineapple jam, blackberry jam (or blackberries with a dash of sugar-cuts down on the acid), apples or applesauce. Basically, I love it with almost anything.

ETA: And fresh mango.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Apple Butter - Really, it is good!
    Pears and a little shredded cheddar cheese. Put a leaf or 2 of lettuce underneath and it is pretty enough to serve to company.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    I eat it with (drained) pineapple chunks. My fave.
  • integrityblue
    integrityblue Posts: 7 Member
    that sounds awesome with jello.. hmmm I like mine with applesauce
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    I eat it with (drained) pineapple chunks. My fave.

me too ! It's delicious!! I also put it on my baked potatoes instead of butter and sour cream
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    I like it but I try to avoid it because of the high sodium content. When I do eat it, I just like it right out of the container!
  • I love me some cottage cheese. Add pineapple, a bit of peanut butter and you have a yummy and filling breakfast :D
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    i get the kind with chives, usually, but if not i sometimes add herbs to it if it's going on crackers. Goes nicely with basil, gives it a vague pesto-y flavour. chilli sauce is nice too.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    A spoonful served on the side of my smoked salmon omelette! (Cottage cheese and smoked salmon go great together!)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    With chopped tomato. It has to be a good tomato, though. And lemon pepper.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Plain with a little sprinkle of paprika
    topped with fresh pineapple chunks
    with just about any canned fruit (drained)
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    I frequently have cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast with shredded wheat cereal.