Obsessed with low fat cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 1 cup of cottage cheese with 2 tsps honey. I may try adding some cinnamon tomorrow. I have heard cinnamon and honey mixed together are a natural anti bacterial, anti viral, and anti fungal.

I eat fat free. Why is it bad?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    So many yummy ideas! I was thinking of trying it on my taco in place of shredded cheese and sour cream any ever try that?
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    So I used cottage cheese the other day in my chili instead of shredded cheese and sour cream and it was yummy! I think I will definitely try it in my tacos next time I have them :)
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain on a daily basis
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I am completely obsessed with Fat free cottage cheese. I eat it plain all the time.
    But for a snack Breakstone's 100 calorie cottage doubles with fruit are amazing and great for on the go!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The stuff makes an amazing "ice cream".

Just toss the whole carton in a blender, followed by ice cubes and bits of whatever flavour you want the ice cream to be - fresh fruit, chocolate, protein nuts, etc - then just blend it all up with about a tablespoon of added water. Leave it in the freezer to chill for a few hours and stir every half hour and - bam - a MASSIVE bowl of ice cream, depending on the ingredients.
    Good if you're a volume eater ("pig") like me. ^_^
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Read in a recent copy of Oxygen Magazine that no fat cottage cheese is not so good, but the low fat is a good choice. Can't remember if it was added sodium or what.
    It's the same with fat free/low fat sour cream. The low fat version is made with milk and cream, but the fat free is made with skim milk and thickened with corn starch.
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it on a wholewheat or seeded cracker! MMMMM
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like it with Dole pineapple tidbits...or topped with salsa
  • SuZQz173
    Options
    Understand you. I reluctantly tried the Daisy brand of lowfat cottage cheese and I have to say, it's very very good tasting to me. I normally would buy no-fat any other brand but had a coupon I guess.

Obsessed with cottage cheese too, since it ups my protein, which I notice I keep lacking enough protein!

Drained and rinsed canned peaches are my way to go.

Also in smoothies. Cottage cheese thickens the smoothie and is yummy added protein.
  • eigna008
    eigna008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On toast! With Sunny Paris seasoning.

And the best, best, best brand is Kemp's. The one in the blue container. It's perfect!
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    The stuff makes an amazing "ice cream".

Just toss the whole carton in a blender, followed by ice cubes and bits of whatever flavour you want the ice cream to be - fresh fruit, chocolate, protein nuts, etc - then just blend it all up with about a tablespoon of added water. Leave it in the freezer to chill for a few hours and stir every half hour and - bam - a MASSIVE bowl of ice cream, depending on the ingredients.
    Good if you're a volume eater ("pig") like me. ^_^

Ooo that sounds yummy!
  • rmgatch
    Options
    Nice treat with frozen mangos, frozen pineapples, and frozen strawberries. Very yummy :-)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it plain. After cutting back on sodium, I can't stand to eat it anymore. It tastes like someone dumped a salt shaker on it. Yumm, salt cheese! blechhhhhhh:sick:
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Peaches, apricots, pears, or pineapple, usually canned or jarred, or fresh in season.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I like mine with just about anything.

Bed of lettuce, lean ham pieces and a little shredded cheese. Great for a quick dinner.

Mostly I eat it plain.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Read in a recent copy of Oxygen Magazine that no fat cottage cheese is not so good, but the low fat is a good choice. Can't remember if it was added sodium or what.
    It's the same with fat free/low fat sour cream. The low fat version is made with milk and cream, but the fat free is made with skim milk and thickened with corn starch.

Low fat is just as bad as fat free. To make up for the lack of taste in both versions they add more crap to it. I've never understood why people are afraid of healthy fats. Its a marketing scam and a good one at that. I could put two pies next to each other, slap a low fat sticker on one of them and people would buy the low fat version without actually comparing the nutritional information.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like the nice creamy 2% fat kind... with jam mixed in. YUM.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, frozen blueberries, pecans, and cinnamon = yummy!
  • silverainn
    Options
    For anyone worried about salt, cottage cheese is incredibly easy to make yourself. You just heat milk (any fat content) up to just under boiling, and add a few tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar. It separates into curds and whey, just drain off the whey, rinse them in cool water, drain through a cloth, and season the curds however you like. If you prefer larger, firmer curds, or don't like the slightly acidic taste, try using microbial rennet at a lower temperature. The whey can be used to make bread, smoothies, soup, etc.