What ONE food habit... would you go back in time to stop.

Options

Replies

• clhous03
    Options
    For me, it wasn't one particular food, but a particular habit.

I love to read, it's my very favorite pasttime. I've always brought a book to the kitchen table with me, or wherever I sit to eat. I never realized until recently how much more I eat as a result. Not paying attention to what I'm eating and just munching mindlessly resulted in, most of the time, suddenly realizing I was so full I was nearly sick. That's been a tough habit to break.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have this bad habit of waking up during the middle of the night and snacking. I have not yet conquered this monster..but I'm working on it! I have been trying to "consciously" eat better things when I do wake up or even drink water, but it's been a tough one to break for sure.
  • dawholeenchilada
    Options
    Alcohol. I never realized how may calories are in one drink until I started using the site. No more drinks for me!!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    McDonalds, I think it was kindergarten. I wish I had never gone there. I don't understand when people say McDonalds isn't awesome, because I LOVE the devil-food.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bingeing on chewy chocolatey stuff when I'm stressed. I have no idea when it started and I'm just now becoming aware of it as I'm paying closer attention to my eating patterns & behavior. It must go way back to high school b/c snickers bars have always been my favorite & I was seriously addicted to them during my first pregnancy at 21. It's really bad too. There's no stopping me when I get like that. I have a theory I'm going to test out the next time I get super stressed.... I'm going to take one of my chocolate peanut butter protein bars & cut it into many, many precise tiny pieces & pop them in my mouth like I would with chocolate covered raspberries. I think this will actually work in tricking my mind.

protein bar cut up with a little peanut butter on them helps me...

I would stop Jim and Jack and Miller - when I found them in college it was a number of years (and pounds) before realizing how many calories they have. now I only drink on special occassions
  • hrubyk1804
    Options
    Avoiding vegetables and eating too fast! I wish I had the craving to eat more veggies. My brother loves them and I wish I was the same. Would make looking for low-cal snacks a lot easier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually mine wouldn't be to stop a habit, but to actually start the habit of eating veggies every day, every meal.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Eating in private or secretly. Either stopping at fast food or eating alone at restaurants. Or stopping at gas stations and buy food to shove in my face in my car.
  • xSassy71x
    xSassy71x Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first, mediun pizza..with pepperoni, green pepper & mushrooms, fron Domino's, thats all I wanted to eat. 3/4 a pizza at a time if I could. And I still love pizza 23 yrs later!! Up until 2 weeks ago I would have it 2-3 times a week.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Growing up we didn't have soda with meals because it was too expensive. We usually had hot or iced tea. And we had to finish all the food on our plate because "there were children starving in Asia." After dinner we were allowed to have some homemade cookies.

Now I only put on my plate what I know I can finish without overstuffing myself. After dinner I have a Healthy Choice fudge bar (only 100 calories). But as soon as I moved out of my parents' home I began to drink soda. I only drink diet soda now but I drink too much. For all those years of not drinking it I am making up for it big time. I wish I could still stick to iced tea or water; it's better for me than the soda.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It isn't a habit. But I can remember the day I started eating poorly...

It was my sophomore year of college. I had a bad day with my classes, something didn't make sense, a teacher was being rude, I had forgotten something, I was feeling overwhelmed, so I was in a bad mood... And I go to my best bro to vent or whatever.

We were planning on getting a two-bedroom apartment the next year and we had decided this a while ago (nothing romantic, just bros here.) And he goes "I'm thinking of dropping out." And I'm like O_O "wut." And I was so mad at him for ditching me like that, I went to the cafeteria and bought a cheeseburger, a large fries, chicken tenders, and a big thing of ben and jerry's - with the thought that I'm just going to have the cheeseburger and fries right now, and the rest later.

Nope.

I went home and ate all of it. Right then. I had no idea that that was even a thing. That a person COULD eat that much in that little time. I opened an entire world of over-eating that I had never seen before.

If I could go back in time, I would go to my room right then and slap all of that food out of my own hands and stomp it into the ground and be like "STOP IT. STOP THAT RIGHT NOW. HE'S BEING A JERK AND HE'S NOT WORTH YOU EATING THAT CRAP. ALSO HIS PLACE IS GONNA SMELL LIKE DEATH NEXT YEAR. ALSO KELSEY WANTS TO LIVE WITH YOU NEXT YEAR AND SHE'S SUPER NICE AND IT'S GONNA RULE. YOUR PLACE IS GONNA BE CLEAN AND AWESOME - SO DON'T YOU DARE EAT THAT KIND OF CRAP! EVER!!!" And then run away so I don't cause too much of a paradox.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Drinking Pepsi. Ever.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Having papa johns on speed dial after a few cocktails was always bad news for me.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Eating entire bags of m&ms or Hershey kisses... I'm talking the big bulk bags not single serv.... oh & entire containers of Ben & Jerry's ice cream :-/
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eating cereal. At least 10 pounds of me is grape nuts with raisins.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eating from the container without measuring portion sizes/ having second helpings.

I could easily finish off a bag of Doritos by myself in one sitting, and I might fill up a bowl to the brim twice with cereal.
  • Dulian25
    Options
    I'd say I'd go back to a VERY unhealthy relationship I was in in the past and not cope with my emotions by emotional eating. It's been a struggle to adjust!!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Fast food and delivery. I was sick for a really long time and wasn't up to cooking, and my husband was working out of town, so I was constantly going through drive-thrus or ordering in pizza or chinese.
    It got to the point where I was getting fast food sometimes 3 times a day, I gained so much weight so fast, and got myself so addicted to horrible food.

There are so many healthier easy meal options I wish I have gone for instead, but hindsight is always 20/20.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Eating for comfort..... eating when full.
  • jbesel
    jbesel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A BIG plate of tortilla chips covered in cheese, sometimes layered pepperoni too...