WEIGHTLOSS STOP after only one week

Options
HHEELLPP!!!!

like the topic sais, i am suffering a weight loss stop after only one week, i lost 8 pounds the first week and now NOTHING!!!
i know its too much weightloss for one week, but it is just depressing and really unmotivating :(
What causes this? maybe if i know the cause it might help me. and what can i do to start loosing again?
do i have to go to the gym? should i do a cheat day (where i eat all i want)? or just keep on going?

i am on a healthy plan with lots of fruit and water. between 1200 and 1700 kcal a day.

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    just keep going itll happen
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Average out the weight loss over the two weeks, and you're doing great. Don't let the scales blow you up too much. They're devious!
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    all this is so mean... i had to eat 4(!!!) bisquits today for breakfast cuz there was just nothing on the scale...
    i think i need some motivation... i want to loose 10 more pounds until may... this is make-able! but not with this D*** stop :(

why do these stops happen? any ideas?
  • ambascom
    Options
    HHEELLPP!!!!

like the topic sais, i am suffering a weight loss stop after only one week, i lost 8 pounds the first week and now NOTHING!!!
    i know its too much weightloss for one week, but it is just depressing and really unmotivating :(
    What causes this? maybe if i know the cause it might help me. and what can i do to start loosing again?
    do i have to go to the gym? should i do a cheat day (where i eat all i want)? or just keep on going?

i am on a healthy plan with lots of fruit and water. between 1200 and 1700 kcal a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857137-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-80-pounds-is-like

Read this!! I lost 2 lbs my first week then nothing the second. I'm hoping I will lose something this week.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably adjusting to change in diet and exercise. Give it a few days and re-weigh. It could always be water retintion too. :) Your doing fine and 10lbs in one week is amazing; but also a huge change for your body. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged by the scales. Measure yourself because changes show up not only on the scale but inches on body too. Good luck
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your body goes into a bit of a shock after a sudden loss of a lot of weight, it happens all of the time, and you usually bounce back by week three or four. Eight pounds is a lot of weight in one week, but it'll continue coming off as you continue eating right. Yeah, it's not very motivating, but it's a fact of life, and your motivation will continue next week.

It even happens on those big weight loss shows like The Biggest Loser. Week 2 is infamous for very low weight loss, eventhough some of those contestants lost 10 pounds the first week.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It usually has to do with fluid, also with what is in your small bowel and colon, maybe what is in your stomach, too (I don't know what time of day that you weigh). Any time you have sore muscles, they retain fluid. It's part of the healing process, but it temporarily adds weight.

Maybe gravity is stronger some days. Yeh - that's the ticket! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The air is heavy today.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The first week or so its normal to drop a bunch of weight. Its mostly water. After that comes the real deal...and it will go slower. Keep logging and measuring ...be brutally honest with yourself with it...and it WILL happen. Hang in there! You can do this.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The first month I committed to exercise and dietary changes..I LOST...NOTHING. A whole month. But I kept going. I figured..well, maybe I won't lose weight but at least I'll be stronger at the end of this.

And you know what happened? That 5th week I had a HUGE loss. Weird how the body works sometimes. You definately won't lose if you stop. So keep at it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    And for heavens sake...eat at a MINIMUM 1200 calories. Anyone telling you to eat 600 and exercise is not repeat not your friend.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I one heard that a person could spit 10 lbs in a week. What that means is the first thing to go is water weight, i to suffered from that. I have plautued many times, the only advice i can give is eat 1400 calories a day, and exercise about 1 hour a day for 6 days. Log every thing you eat. At the end of the week, go back and look at you're food and c where you cold hand made better choices. Wish u all the luck. Oh, idk what kind of exercise you do, but u could look into getting 30 day shred, jillian michaels is a killer kick *kitten* trainer. And only use the scale once a week, and get a tape measure.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you actually saying not to eat more than 600 - 800 calories a day?? As in total? Seriously?? If you are please don't.

You MUST eat more than 1200 calories a day. Figure out what your TDEE and BMR is and go from there, but definitely do NOT eat only 600 calories a day!!!!

If you eat more than 600-800 calories...you will not lose weight unless you exercise. You lost a lot of weight...but not the healthy way. You must change your eating habits...when you stopped eating. Your body went into starvation mode. It started feeling like it was going to starve and shut down and started storing up sugars ect.
    So, you have to eat small amounts . 4 to 6 times a day.That way it burns off calories and does not think it is not going to get another bite.
    You must stop eating big meals...start with a shake or half grapefruit...lots of fruit..but remember to write down what you ate and tally the calories.
    No sweets...I would suggest you eat frozen chopped...with a chopper...bananas..with almonds..replacement for ice cream.
    Dont starve yourselve..count calories..no more than 600 a day.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than 600-800 calories...you will not lose weight unless you exercise. You lost a lot of weight...but not the healthy way. You must change your eating habits...when you stopped eating. Your body went into starvation mode. It started feeling like it was going to starve and shut down and started storing up sugars ect.
    So, you have to eat small amounts . 4 to 6 times a day.That way it burns off calories and does not think it is not going to get another bite.
    You must stop eating big meals...start with a shake or half grapefruit...lots of fruit..but remember to write down what you ate and tally the calories.
    No sweets...I would suggest you eat frozen chopped...with a chopper...bananas..with almonds..replacement for ice cream.

Wait...this is a joke, right? You are seriously telling someone to not eat more than 600-800 calories a day? Please go take an ENTIRE stadium of seats.

OP, Keep doing what you are doing. You are eating a good number of calories. Weight loss is not linear, it generally comes in chunks. The key is to be consistent and don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    i was about to say... i dont starve myself, i eat breakfast, 2 small snacks, dinner and another snack. this makes 5 meals a day. i skip lunch, cuz i work nights and sleep during the day...
    and i think around 1500kcal is a good goal to keep. 600 is not healthy.

and about the water loss. i understand that too, but i also drink a lot during the day, i ll make at least half a gallon a day. how can the body loose water if i give him enough?
    i am not saying that i lost fat, i know its water and muscle that i lost, but how come that you loose water if the body gets enough...just a weird question from me.

thanks for all the responses. thats so motivating. i just keep on doing what i am doing.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options

this! all of it! only ppl with gastric bypass should eat that low of calories! your body needs 1200 minimum just to function.

Wait...this is a joke, right? You are seriously telling someone to not eat more than 600-800 calories a day? Please go take an ENTIRE stadium of seats.

OP, Keep doing what you are doing. You are eating a good number of calories. Weight loss is not linear, it generally comes in chunks. The key is to be consistent and don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    oh, and i dont exercise... i work nights, office-job, but i have to get up and walk around a lot, plus the restroom breakes every other hour or so cuz of the lots of water that i drink ;)

oh and excuse my language mistakes, i am german ;)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Um, please eat WAY more than 600 calories, even if you do not exercise. Eat at least 1500 (though I am easily losing on 1800)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You're kidding right? If not, no one listen to the above. Eating no more than 600 a day is completely irresponsible, dangerous and not healthy at all.

You need to eat to lose weight... unless you want to have a crazy high body fat % and no muscle... don't forget.. your heart is a muscle. Taking the above advice is just setting yourself up for failure.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Cause, you know. 600 calories a day isn't starving yourself or anything.. >.>
    I eat 1200 a day, and whatever I get from exercising I eat those too, and have been seeing about 2lb/wk losses over the past few months. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's easy to get discouraged but don't give up!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that you are female. The female body hates change. It does no want to realease it's precious fat stores. Your body doesnt know if it's starving or losing weight all it knows is that it needs to protect your fecundity your fertility and that means your fat and weight. Keep moving foward keep up the good work. Patience your health will not happen over night. You have a lifetime to do this, so one week is only a blink of an eye in that life time.

Dont do that 600 calorie diet unless you want your female body to go into major strike.