WEIGHTLOSS STOP after only one week

Options

Replies

• shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    And for heavens sake...eat at a MINIMUM 1200 calories. Anyone telling you to eat 600 and exercise is not repeat not your friend.

THIS
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    guys thanks for the responds ;)

my story again, i started on 1/14/13. lost 9 pounds by1/21/13. ever since then i am stuck. this makes me being stuck for 1 1/2 weeks now.

and YES, its a serious thread, there might be some stupid advices and answers, but yes, i take my diet serious.

and i dont have a tape measure, but i have a belt and pants, and even these dont show any difference :(

its actually the most i have been motivated in a while. if there isnt any weight loss in a couple days, i usually stopped the diet, but this time i want to do this. since there will be my big move in 4 months, i will go back home to germany as a skinnier someone than i was christmas when my family last seen me. i want to surprise everybody, and MYSELF! i can do this!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    my story again, i started on 1/14/13. lost 9 pounds by1/21/13. ever since then i am stuck. this makes me being stuck for 1 1/2 weeks now.

It's not unusual to not see the scale move in a week and a half. Just keep it up, and long-term you will find success.

:flowerforyou:
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    And for heavens sake...eat at a MINIMUM 1200 calories. Anyone telling you to eat 600 and exercise is not repeat not your friend.

THIS

haha I was just trying to figure this out and I think ive got it.

1.) If I eat 900 calories I will not lose weight unless I exercise...
    2.) if i eat the OP's diet of between 1200-1700 cals I will go into starvation mode..
    3.) if i eat my 600 calories over 6 evenly spaced 100 calorie meals my body will burn off the calories and keep me out of starvation mode.
    4.) I would write down what I ate but if I only eat 600 cals per day I am quite sure I will remember each calorie vividly.
    5.) I will not starve myself, but will need advice to be able to hit my 600 cals for the day.
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    thanks pregosaurus for the motivation.

how long can such a stop last??
  • VelociMama
    Options
    thanks pregosaurus for the motivation.

how long can such a stop last??

I had plateaus that lasted for several weeks then broke when I was losing. It's all normal. Just focus on making daily and weekly changes to your life so you can maintain your new weight and lifestyle forever. This more important than how fast you lose, although I realize you have a weight goal and timeline setup already.
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    yes, 4 more months and at least 10 more pounds (20 wound be AWESOME!!! but i d be good with the 10)
    how long was your longest plateau?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    yes, 4 more months and at least 10 more pounds (20 wound be AWESOME!!! but i d be good with the 10)
    how long was your longest plateau?

My situation is probably different than yours. I gained and lost the same 10 lbs many times over for about a year before I had any consistency losing.

Just try to be patient is all. Your body is going to go through phases where you don't lose here and there. Just realize it's normal, and it's okay. Your goal of 10 lbs in 4 months is reasonable. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    well i was up to 220lbs before too, ups and downs, heartbrakes and good food, and a couple years later i am down to 180 now. just read your story and yes, it is different. i am not pregnant. and i dont plan on being soon ;)
    i just want to show the world (and most of all me) that i can!

gosh i m motivated now.

mmh, how about cheating? any tips there how to handle these situations where you think you need something, and then of course feel bad afterwards? do you think i can somewhat make the best out of it if i try to still keep my calorie goal, and then just eat fruit the rest of the cheat-day? or any other ideas?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than 600-800 calories...you will not lose weight unless you exercise. You lost a lot of weight...but not the healthy way. You must change your eating habits...when you stopped eating. Your body went into starvation mode. It started feeling like it was going to starve and shut down and started storing up sugars ect.
    So, you have to eat small amounts . 4 to 6 times a day.That way it burns off calories and does not think it is not going to get another bite.
    You must stop eating big meals...start with a shake or half grapefruit...lots of fruit..but remember to write down what you ate and tally the calories.
    No sweets...I would suggest you eat frozen chopped...with a chopper...bananas..with almonds..replacement for ice cream.
    Dont starve yourselve..count calories..no more than 600 a day.

Good god. No. How can you say don't starve yourself and then tell someone to eat 600 calories a day?! AND exercise?! No. Just no.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than 600-800 calories...you will not lose weight unless you exercise.

This is not true. Weigh loss happens because you eat less than you burn. That amount less could be a little as a couple of hundred calories a day, which would take a long time, or as much at 1000 if a person is obese. Exercise will make you healthy, it will help you maintain muscle mass if you do weight lifting, but in itself it rarely will make a person lose weight.
    You lost a lot of weight...but not the healthy way. You must change your eating habits...when you stopped eating. Your body went into starvation mode. It started feeling like it was going to starve and shut down and started storing up sugars ect.
    So, you have to eat small amounts . 4 to 6 times a day.That way it burns off calories and does not think it is not going to get another bite.

Also wrong. Starvation mode, badly named, is something that only happens with long term severe calorie restrictions. One week will not do that. For that matter how frequently you eat makes no difference as long as the total number of calories for the day remain the same. It does not keep your metabolism going or affect it in any way. Eat the way that is comfortable for you.
    You must stop eating big meals.

Again, meal size makes no difference with the exception of people who have metabolic disorders. For the vast majority of people whether you eat 3 big meals or a bunch of small ones, as long as at the end of the day you have eaten less than you burned, the total effect will be the same.
    No sweets...I would suggest you eat frozen chopped...with a chopper...bananas..with almonds..replacement for ice cream.

VERY WRONG. You need to eat more than 600 calories a day. 1200 is the generally accepted minimum for a female, and most need much more than that. Ideally, unless you have a lot of weight to lose 40 or more pounds, eating below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate--that is the number of calories your body needs to simply stay alive not including those burned from any movement at all) is a bad idea.

Please, do not take the advice of that post. It makes things requirements that are completely up to personal preference.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    guys thanks for the responds ;)

Don't think of it as you lost 9 lbs one week and nothing else. You've lost an average of 4 lbs a week which is fantastic. There will be some weeks when you lose, some where you don't, some you'll lose big, some you'll lose just a little - average it out over time and go from there.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i had to eat 4(!!!) bisquits today for breakfast cuz there was just nothing on the scale...

HAD TO? Looks like that might be part of your problem.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    mmh, how about cheating? any tips there how to handle these situations where you think you need something, and then of course feel bad afterwards? do you think i can somewhat make the best out of it if i try to still keep my calorie goal, and then just eat fruit the rest of the cheat-day? or any other ideas?

I'm a big fan of fitting in treats into your calorie goals. I like the philosophy of having 80% of your intake be healthy, whole, nutritious foods, and leaving 20% for treats. I never found much success by restricting myself too much. By fitting in treat foods that you enjoy into your daily goals, you can still enjoy them without guilt.

You may also be able to make some substitutions to foods you consider "treats" to make them a little lower calorie. Example: going for frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than 600-800 calories...you will not lose weight unless you exercise. You lost a lot of weight...but not the healthy way. You must change your eating habits...when you stopped eating. Your body went into starvation mode. It started feeling like it was going to starve and shut down and started storing up sugars ect.
    You must stop eating big meals...start with a shake or half grapefruit...lots of fruit..but remember to write down what you ate and tally the calories.
    No. Just no.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^ignore all of this terrible advice.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Um okay. You've been dieting for a WEEK. A single week. Did you get fat in a week? No. So it's going to take longer than that to lose the weight.

Most of what you lost that first week was probably water.

And weight loss comes in phases. I only ever weighed in once a month, because generally I would lose a few pounds and then sit steady for a couple weeks. It's how the body works.

So be patient and just keep doing what your'e doing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP - it's water weight fluctuations. If you ate at a deficit you will be losing 'real' weight, it's just masked by water weight fluctuations.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm a big fan of fitting in treats into your calorie goals. I like the philosophy of having 80% of your intake be healthy, whole, nutritious foods, and leaving 20% for treats. I never found much success by restricting myself too much. By fitting in treat foods that you enjoy into your daily goals, you can still enjoy them without guilt.

You may also be able to make some substitutions to foods you consider "treats" to make them a little lower calorie. Example: going for frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

I agree, and would add that when you eat a nutritionally balanced diet with sufficient calories, and when the treats aren't taboo anymore, I think you will find yourself with a lot less cravings. It still happens occasionally, and almost always when I'm pre-menstrual, but it's generally pretty rare to find myself tormented by the idea of treats anymore.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

WTF?! :noway: