Dead on or Total Jerk?

Options
This was posted by a Facebook friend. I kind of laughed but was also kind off annoyed. Thoughts?

http://deadspin.com/5978620/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That post is so very full of win, but more importantly, full of truth. People have gotten so used to a pathetically easy lifestyle that the idea of a workout that truly brings them pain seems alien in many ways. There's a reason that man boobs are often referred to as "the tits of easy living".

Most of the crap that people like to call exercise isn't exercise...it's life. The fact that we have come to view food preparation as exercise worth logging is pathetic. As I once read, unless you are a Japanese Habachi chef, dodging fireballs and flipping razor sharp knives in a 100+ degree environment, cooking isn't a damned workout.
  • AnAmericanGirl2
    AnAmericanGirl2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya, your second paragraph is hysterically so very truthful!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    That article is 100% truth. I think the number one thing I hate seeing people try to consider a workout is housework.

Oh, did you just not clean an single thing, ever, in your entire house, while you gained the weight that got you to this site? Because otherwise that stuff is just what the rest of us call normal everyday stuff to do to live like a regular human being. I don't care how hard you scrubbed your tub, how much vacuuming you did, or if you broke a bit of a sweat, it's not a workout. And if you actually live in a home that cleaning it from top to bottom would be a serious amount of calories burned, well, then you can probably afford and have a maid to do it for you anyway.
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Read the article in Mr. Torgue's voice. Now that made me laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjulMT8mQYo
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article, while I think it is a little harshly worded. Or at least worded in a way destined to piss people off lol. But I feel that way when I see some of the stuff you can log as exercise on here and the grossly overestimated calorie burn for such daily things.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    couldn't read it too much cussing. too much aggressive tone. just bored me.
  • devrinator
    devrinator Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think we may be comparing apples and oranges in terms of "being more fit."

I remember being in a gym some years ago, running away on a treadmill thinking, "What kind of country is this, that we have so many calories to consume that we have to subject ourselves to running in place like hamsters, or lifting useless heavy things for the purpose of 'fitness?'"

If we're talking about an overweight person who needs to lose weight, then yes, a quick stroll down the street with a dog or a stroller won't make much change. If we're talking about wanting to be the next fitness pro-champion, then yes, picking weeds from a garden and turning the soil every six months isn't going to get us there.

But...most people just want to be "more fit." Taking the stairs, riding a bike to work, and going for nightly walks are good for the heart and will help to maintain some health that a person probably already has.

I just think that the purpose for doing those things is highly subjective and depends on the person's goal.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining it to me. So let me get this straight.... my finger nails have to bleed and I have to lay on the floor in pain for it to be a workout? Oh wait i missed one. If I don't follow the same routine as an olympic athlete than I'm not working out either. I don't do anything of those things but I do workout. What a tool.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Absolutely spot on! This made me lol:

"Have you ever wondered why there aren't a lot of Olympic athletes who train by walking around the block with Diane after supper?"
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love it.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining it to me. So let me get this straight.... my finger nails have to bleed and I have to lay on the floor in pain for it to be a workout? Oh wait i missed one. If I don't follow the same routine as an olympic athlete than I'm not working out either. I don't do anything of those things but I do workout. What a tool.

I think what the author is trying to imply is that you have to step out of your comfort zone to elicit change. He just said it in a caustic, hyperbolic way.
  • KBUnleashed
    KBUnleashed Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are different levels of "living a fit life". Not everyone has to be like the guy in the Planet Fitness commercials. And, yes, while I do run on the treadmill sometimes, I have also lost most of my weight in my Zumba classes (which I look forward to and are FUN).

But, if it takes his workouts to be boring....I guess that's what does it for him. I prefer to be fit while having fun.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think parts of it are dead on. I think parts of it are ridiculous. If you want to be an olympic athlete you're going to train like one. If you want to lose a few pounds, you're going to simply do calories in calories out. I think if you're just starting out you're going to start by walking, by making small changes, etc. As you adapt slowly then you're going to add on. It's more likely to stick that way instead of one big drastic change. I don't feel there's anything wrong with walking your kid around the block, especially if you haven't done it before.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think its right on the money...I went to bootcamp 8 weeks gained 3 lbs (boy was it hard work and yes I was in pain on some of those days) and left a smaller size than when I joined fast foward 14 years I am not working out like I used to and I have become soft. Trying to change that now.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I think this was probably my favourite sentence from this article:

"A workout is something hard that involves pain. Pain that you willingly lap, lap, lap up out of the pain bowl"

Hehe. I'm not saying that this kind of training and lifestlye is for everyone. Not everyone has the same goals. However, I do sometimes think that people who are out of shape look at fit people and think that they must be somehow pre-disposed to being that way. The truth, it takes hard work and disipline. When your body is aching from whatever workout you've done 2 days ago you have to be prepared to go back for more of the same and push through it. Not everyone has that kind of committment in them
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I definitely think this way when I see people ask if they should count calories burned from cleaning or sex...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Generally, I like the message. If you want to actually get fit and be fast, strong, and athletic, you have to push your body to do uncomfortable and sometimes painful things to get there.

Then again, not everyone's desire is to be "fit" as the definition applies here. Some people just want to manage their weight and improve overall health not be the best leanest meanest version of themselves. It's a personal choice. There is nothing wrong with choosing the latter.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I think this was probably my favourite sentence from this article:

"A workout is something hard that involves pain. Pain that you willingly lap, lap, lap up out of the pain bowl"

Hehe. I'm not saying that this kind of training and lifestlye is for everyone. Not everyone has the same goals. However, I do sometimes think that people who are out of shape look at fit people and think that they must be somehow pre-disposed to being that way. The truth, it takes hard work and disipline. When your body is aching from whatever workout you've done 2 days ago you have to be prepared to go back for more of the same and push through it. Not everyone has that kind of committment in them

If the commitment doesn't exist, it must be created. I was a worthless, soft fatass for almost all of my life. It took a swift "verbal" kick in the nuts that came in the form of a searing article not too different from this one to get me moving.

I had just resigned myself to a life of suck, using the old 'bad genetics' excuse, due to the fact that my family members are all fat as hell and injury prone. However, after getting my *kitten* handed to me in text form (with plenty of evidence to support his position), I found the drive within me to make the changes.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Isn't the whole idea of exercise to "just get up and move"? More and more people sit around whining because they aren't losing any weight, but in reality all they're doing is being a couch potato! No, I didn't read the article but if a person is moving what difference does it make if sites such as this one considers "cooking" or "housework" as a means of exercise?!! Power to the People on the Move, jus sayin.....:wink::smile: