Dead on or Total Jerk?

Options

Replies

• gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Total jerk. There are many roads to fitness. Why is it that so many lifters constantly play the "my workout is better than yours" game?

And, FTR, my 85-year old mother walks the dog for exercise. And, yes, it is challenging enough for her to be considered a workout. We're not all the same age, or in good health. There is no one-size-fits-all workout that is right for everyone.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I think the part that some of you are missing is that he said it needs to challenge YOU, not necessarily everyone else in the world. Workouts that might be hard for me, could be a cake walk for someone else. He also said that there was nothing wrong with going out and walking, but you won't get ripped from doing it. I think he was dead on, and the world could use a touch more abrasiveness as well.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I think many of the nay-sayers have missed the point. It's all about pushing outside of the comfort zone. The stuff he listed are examples, mostly aimed at relatively healthy individuals. However, someone who weighs in at 400+ is likely going to be put in extreme pain, and turned into a caloric inferno just from the aforementioned walk around the block. For ****'s sake, if any of us were to put on weighted vests equivalent to what that person weighs and walk around the block, we would experience the same thing (with very few exceptions).

It's more about "if it doesn't hurt it doesn't work" than anything.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Total jerk. There are many roads to fitness. Why is it that so many lifters constantly play the "my workout is better than yours" game?

And, FTR, my 85-year old mother walks the dog for exercise. And, yes, it is challenging enough for her to be considered a workout. We're not all the same age, or in good health. There is no one-size-fits-all workout that is right for everyone.

Rippetoe's mother was deadlifting at 90 years old
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Her technique on the clean and jerk was pretty good too.

Lets not talk about the state of her snatch.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Dead on. People need to hear the damn truth sometimes. They just baby themselves into thinking they're working out when they are physically capable of doing more, but make lame excuses as to why not. See them all day on MFP. And he wasnt comparing one person to another only themselves. People complain to much about why they're not losing weight and you look at their workout and its strolling in the park and theyre eating over their limit. No duh youre not losing weight. Minimal effort will yield minimal results.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

NASTY HAHA
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options

omg I died.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I wish all the lovely members of my gym that like to pay all that money for membership only to walk 1.6 mph on the treadmill while they yap on the phone were reading that. Especially the one a few days ago that lasted about 10 minutes and left. Wtf, that is called a warmup?!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

omg I died.

Best thing I've read all month:drinker:
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great article!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I only read the first half and will read the rest later but it comes off a little of a douche way of complaining about complainers. There are plenty of people that can say the same about what he considers workouts. I always thought people have to start somewhere and not everybody has the same goals. Also their are plenty of people that physically can't exercise because of disease and/or illness that is so obvious to the eye. They can say or do what they want, but for me I will live and let be.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if sitting on his high horse, on his pedestal is classed as High Altitude Training?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it's spot on.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Loved it! :drinker:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This guy would be branded and meanie and a bully if he posted on MFP.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this??!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This guy would be branded and meanie and a bully if he posted on MFP.

I don't think so...well, I don't know.. maybe Diane would get angry.

I have done A TON of walking/running.. and it helped me tremendously.. but he is right 100%...I think I shall add some bricks and a backpack and a child with a brick to my walks!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    OK, so the guy is abrasive. But I don't read many success stories that say "I lost 100 lbs by cutting out soda and walking around the block 5 nights a week."
    If your only goal is to be able to move a little more, more power to you. Me, I'm 47 years old and a grandfather, and I plan on backpacking the Grand Canyon on my 50th birthday.
    That may not be how they lost to whole 100 lbs, but it wouldn't surprise me if a good number of the success stories started that way...
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Spot on! lol, I have friends who are shocked when they see my calories burned from my HRM readout. They can't believe that I can burn 1000-1300 calories in an hour... well, I don't stop moving for that hour, other than to grab some water and move to the next circuit. Some people need a reality check, you don't make changes by eating bad food even if it is under your calorie allotment, and you don't reshape your body by doing easy tasks. However that being said, if you have been so sedentary that a walk around the block is hard, then great start there, but at some point you need to raise the bar. People wonder why they plateau, because they don't push harder, they continue to do the same things day in and day out until their body gets used to the routine and figures how to work with what it's got. At some point you need to increase, I have been increasing the difficulty every week and so far have lost my 27 lbs in 3 months.... it CAN be done!