I'm Considering Getting a Perm

Options
13»

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought so too...I honestly think I do have a styling issue. I hate my diffuser with an absolute passion, but when I use it I flip so I'm upside down and I finger scrunch while blow drying but then it just turns to puff, no curl.

If it's puffing but not curling, that's purely a product issue. You have to find a cream, gel or mousse that makes the curls go into little ringlets and not frizz bombs. Without product most curly-haired people would look like a Q-Tip. And be sure to use enough of it! Not just a pea-size dab or something, really get it on there. I use probably a half a tablespoon of my styling cream.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    everything I said was redundant.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    NO DONT! YOU CAN ENHANCE YOUR NATURAL CURL BY CUTTING OUT SILICONES AND SULPHATES! Your hair just needs to go on a diet :flowerforyou:

Go here: naturallycurly.com, find your hair curl type (you look like a 3a, possibly 3b to me) READ READ READ everything there is to know about it, try and experiment with products.

It's like this: Sulphates are used in shampoos to cleanse out silicones (Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, etc.) that are found in a lot of shampoos and styling products, because silicones are not water-soluble, and can build up on your hair over time. The problem is that shampoos with sulphates are very stripping and drying to hair, even worse for curly hair which is dry by nature, because your natural scalp oils have a tougher time traveling down the shaft of your hair because of all the bends and coils, than they do straight hair.

Still with me? Good.

The Curly Girl method has you using silicone-free conditioners and styling products, and sulphate-free shampoos, and just being very gentle overall to your hair. Don't dry your hair with terrycloth towels, don't blast it with hot hot heat and flat-iron it, MOISTUREIZE MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE, and it will start to look all lusciously curly and shiny the more you baby it.
    Ok so I've gone against the perm and decided to fix what I'm using as shampoo instead because I looked up the Curly Girl Method which says to watch out for sulfates and all that stuff and I really need a good conditioner...

So I've narrowed it down to two shampoos and conditioners: Pantene or Tresemme

Any ideas?

I like to use Tresemme Naturals conditioner as a leave-in as it's sulphate free (my hair is type 3C, so it would probably be too heavy for you to use as a leave-in conditioner) also check out http://tightlycurly.com/ for more info, and you can look-up hair product ingredients to see if they are Curly Girl friendly.

Good luck! Don't perm!

PS: Some of the natural hair products marketed towards curly hair can get quite pricey, but really you just need to read the ingredients and try it out. I'm currently using a $2 no-name conditioner that I love, as it's ingredient list is CG-approved.
  • SJax7192
    SJax7192 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WELP! Got my hair done today and my stylist fixed EVERYTHING! And I didn't even have to get a perm!
    My whole problem was that I was using too heavy a product and my hair was also thick so it was ultimately weighing down my hair. It gets thicker in the winter.
    So I got it thinned and replaced my thicker product with something less thick. My profile picture now is my hair!! I think it's the best it's ever looked!

Thanks to all who replied and helped me make my decision! I sincerely appreciate it!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Still say you should investigate the world of wigs.