Over 40 lbs. gone but frustrated

Options

Replies

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I think that when we lose weight we still wear the same clothes we wore when we had more weight on us. So they dont see the figure so much as the clothes you wear. You have done amazing and I know you feel good about yourself. You are losing this weight for you, not them.

THIS!!! I swear, nobody said a word to me until I finally went and bought new pants. And BAM, the compliments came flooding in.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just aren't saying anything. When someone loses weight, it can be hard for others, especially if they are heavy. I saw a movie once (yes, just a movie but it made some sense). A gal lost a lot of weight and was eating way healthy foods. She went out to lunch with her best friend who hadn't changed her lifestyle and was still very overweight. The overweight friend "did" talk about the weightloss but she was way depressed and said she felt she was losing her best-friend. I don't know sweetie but you keep doing what is good for you. We can't let others control our lives.
  • aditifoodie
    aditifoodie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing exactly the same thing, and I think its coz I am still wearing my old loose clothes. So i go around telling all my relatives and friends (even the ones who havent seen me) that I have lost 20 kgs... :laugh: it makes me feel good when they say wow!!
    I think I cant wait for people to notice.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This was good. I never thought of it but yes, this could be a reason as well.
    People are sometimes afraid to say something in case you aren't losing weight on purpose. I made that mistake at work one day and congratulated a coworker on losing so much weight .... turns out she had cancer and was going through chemo. :( Fail.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i'm still waring some of my old clothes but that is because they where tight on me before. The others are in a garbage bag at the second hand store. Working on my 3rd bag right now. :) Went from a 40 D to a 36 D. X large belt to almost able to fit into a m.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's a risk to comment on someone's weight loss unless you know they're trying. I once said something to a co-worker, and she snapped "the diet is called divorce, and I can't recommend it." I felt about this ~ small.
  • vbisnath
    Options
    that bra size is an amazing decrease...you will be so excited when that cup drops to a C...its just one size down, but it really matters. I know it did with me when I went from a 36 D to 36 C
  • vbisnath
    Options
    PrimalSiren.....I also get this with my husband's family. I know that my mother in law is jealous, but I don't know why. We are around the same size if you figure in our height difference of a few inches. However, I have been slowly losing weight while she is slowly gaining. She gets jealous when anyone comments on how I look, but she wont do anything to cut back herself. I wish she would forget about being jealous and just be happy for me
  • vbisnath
    Options
    I'm with you! I've lost 30ish and my husband is the only one to notice really. But to me its just an even bigger motivator for me to really get the rest of it off and push myself even harder. I feel like if everyone noticed the loss right away I might get too comfortable or lax about it.

I know how you must feel. My body shows weight loss very easily, unfortunately, it also packs it on fast. When I lose weight others notice, but my husband doesn't. That is even more frustrating in my opinion
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey, I lost 50 pounds. And my mom who is Asian said in front of all her Asian friends "You're getting wrinkles. And you need to lose weight. You know it's not too late for you if you start now." While making me a plate full of sticky rice, coconut mango dessert, and batter-covered fried chicken.

I was stunned. WTF?! I lost 50 pounds! Hello? And what are you putting on my dang plate?!

Then when I only ate the stuff I'm supposed to eat she asked me if I was sick and then told me it's not polite to not eat the food people made for you. I felt like pointing out that SHE made me my plate, and she should eat it, but it wasn't worth arguing with her. Some people.... never change.

Mentioned the time and left as politely as I could.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are scared to comment on someones weight. Also a lot of people don't want to confront the fact that they need to lose weight so don't bring it up.
  • airangel55
    airangel55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here's another point of view.

Sometimes we can get addicted to the positive feedback we get from family and friends to the point of feeling depressed when the comments stop. This can undermine the reason you were doing this in the first place.

I know you said they didn't notice but maybe they did and didn't want to say or equally important. If they had showered you with praise and then stopped how would you feel.

Why not just talk to them about it openly. Then remember who you are really doing this for. You have worked hard and have success that was not based on what other's think or say. Keep up the great work.
  • Vercell
    Options
    wow you have to love family, to funny.
  • Vercell
    Options
    Dont feel bad I was at work and one of my clients ask me if I was I sick I have lost alot of weight and that I dont need to lose anymore weight.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that when I lost weight the last time, said that she never said anything about it because when she loses weight she hates when people congratulate her. So she was doing for me what she wanted people to do for her. I like people noticing because it gives me motivation but some people are not like that.

Anyway, congratulations on your loss!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yes, some people think it's rude to say anything. My father in-law is the nicest guy, comes around to help with my LO all the time, since my hubby's always working, but he doesn't say anything. I guess they feel like if they say anything, then that means they thought you didn't look good before you lost the weight. He's actually told me before that he didn't want to say anything, thinking it might offend me, and I told him I love compliments, but he still doesn't say anything! lol. Lots of other people give nice compliments about my loss, though, so it doens't bother me. :)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Here's another point of view.

Sometimes we can get addicted to the positive feedback we get from family and friends to the point of feeling depressed when the comments stop. This can undermine the reason you were doing this in the first place.

I know you said they didn't notice but maybe they did and didn't want to say or equally important. If they had showered you with praise and then stopped how would you feel.

Why not just talk to them about it openly. Then remember who you are really doing this for. You have worked hard and have success that was not based on what other's think or say. Keep up the great work.

This is so true! I work PRN, (as needed) so I only work once/week, or every other week, and everytime I work, everyone's always telling me how great I look, and that every time they see me, I look like I dropped 10lb's. Once I finally reach my goal, I don't know what I'll do when I don't get that attention anymore! Makes me have such a great day, to start off work like that! :)
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, but they finally came around.

In the past, when I noticed peoples weight loss, I wouldn't say anything, because I thought it would be taken as "you were fat before", and then... what if I was wrong? It would kinda be like calling them fat. I try to mention it now as I love it when someone notices my loss, but I still worry a bit.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    is it just me or do most of the people who say you need to lose weight are big, sometimes even bigger then yourself.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are they overweight? They could be jealous possibly??
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!