Sugar intake, help!!!

Options
Hey guys I started logging my food intake on here after I had lost 10 lbs hoping that counting my calories/exercise would help me reach my goal of losing another 20 lbs. However since I started logging in december all that my body has done is maintain, I looked at my "full report" and I realized my sugar intake was much higher than what myfitnesspal recommended. So I was just wondering if my high sugar intake is what caused my body to stop losing weight?? If so is sugar from fruit okay/do you have any recommendations besides completely cutting sugar out for me to try (substitutes etc) Thank you!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic, or per-diabetic, sugar does not matter, it is just a carb.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic, or per-diabetic, sugar does not matter, it is just a carb.

^This!
  • Lilihel
    Lilihel Posts: 53
    Options
    Actually sugar can sabotage your body and cause fat storage, so try to avoid sugar as much as you can.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Actually sugar can sabotage your body and cause fat storage, so try to avoid sugar as much as you can.

Why? Because of the evil insulinz?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You lost weight before you were logging your foods. Now you've started logging, your weight loss has slowed down.

if you haven't actually changed the amount of sugar that you're eating, then just because it's showing up in a food log won't make a difference.

Having said that, yes try to cut down on added sugars where you can.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    False. Care to explain the mechanism where sugar magically causes your body to store fat in the presence of a caloric deficit? Sugar is almost never stored as fat. It's burned through way too quickly by your brain, vital organs, and muscles to actually be converted into fat and stored. Your brain uses roughly 150 grams of sugar a day all on its own, which is about double what the average person consumes per day. Rather than sugar being stored as fat, the reality is that your body spends quite a bit of time converting protein and fat (as well as more complex carbs) into sugar.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

^This!

A very large number of obese people are "pre-diabetic" and will end up with Type II, if they stay on the obesity train. The more obese you are, the faster you will get to the diabetes destination---just a matter of time. People who are termed "morbidly obese" have a very high rate of Type II. Some researchers say that it is essentially the same disease and term it "diabesity".
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    False. Care to explain the mechanism where sugar magically causes your body to store fat in the presence of a caloric deficit? Sugar is almost never stored as fat. It's burned through way too quickly by your brain, vital organs, and muscles to actually be converted into fat and stored. Your brain uses roughly 150 grams of sugar a day all on its own, which is about double what the average person consumes per day. Rather than sugar being stored as fat, the reality is that your body spends quite a bit of time converting protein and fat (as well as more complex carbs) into sugar.

Thank you for this!! Very informative
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I can't say for anyone else, but once I dropped my Carbs to 50g and my sugar to 25g, the weight started falling off. It wasn't easy at first, but now that the sugar is out of my system, the simple carb cravings have gone away (bread, chips, etc.). My carbs now consist of natural carbs from avocados, nuts, veggies, etc. My meals consist mostly of protein and veggies, with nuts or berries as a snack. (OH... and if I blow it and go over on sugar - e.g., eat a brownie, I don't stress it and just keep going.)

Again, this is only MY experience. There's different mindsets out there, you just need to find what works for YOU.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Correction. Your body uses glucose---not table sugar, the fructose content of which (sucrose, i.e. sugar, is 50% fructose), must be converted in the liver. It is fructose that is problematic in large amounts. The small amount that one takes in consuming a serving or two of low-fructose fruit do not appear to be a problem, especially since it is bound in fiber which slows the transmission. But the large amount of sugar that is eaten on a daily basis (estimated to be 500 calories--from all sources) is a real problem for the obese and those who are on their way to metabolic syndrome. Here is a peer-reviewed article (in a nephrology journal) that speaks to the issue: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Um, I would think the body uses carbs for energy, not actual sugar...? Maybe I'm wrong.

To the OP: Sugar may or may not be part of what's slowing you down. It certainly isn't the whole picture. Certain people will tend to overeat because it makes them more hungry. There are plenty of studies and topics about insulin spikes and stuff but you don't need to get into specifics. Try to limit sugar (not carbs) intake a bit for a couple days. See how you feel.
  • sabsypants
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess I forgot to mention that my weight is in the "normal range" I'm 5'8 and 150lbs medium frame (this is apparently a bit on the higher end for a healthy weight for that body type/height so I'm trying to be between 130-140). Would any of you happen to have any advice that may help me break through this plateau if cutting down sugar a bit doesn't help? Thanks again!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess I forgot to mention that my weight is in the "normal range" I'm 5'8 and 150lbs medium frame (this is apparently a bit on the higher end for a healthy weight for that body type/height so I'm trying to be between 130-140). Would any of you happen to have any advice that may help me break through this plateau if cutting down sugar a bit doesn't help? Thanks again!

You could try weight-lifting, as it will help to build muscle and shed body fat. It also makes you into a "lean, mean, calorie-burning machine" as muscle burns a lot more calories than does stored fat on one's body. Try to get away from weighing yourself and go for measurements. You can get a set of fat calipers (measures body fat) for about $20 online. Muscle is compact and you can weigh a lot more and look smaller. There is a good article floating around here somewhere about this young girl who completely changed the look of her body--from having obvious fat thighs (she posted a "before" picture of herself in a swimsuit) to being sleek and lightly muscled in the final pix. Though she weighs about 20 pounds more than she did at her lowest weight (she posted a "skinny" picture of herself after a diet), she looks much healthier and probably wears about the same size clothing in her final (after weight-lifting) pix. She is also now able to eat about 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day without worrying about gaining body fat (as long as she continues to weight-train for maintenance). The saying that goes around among weight-lifters is, "Diet to look good in your clothes, lift weight to look good without them." (Or in a swimsuit.) No need to worry about getting bulky (women do not get bulky without using steroids). If I was your age, I would forget about diets (other than to stay away from sugary/junk foods) and do weight training alone. :smile:
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Actuall 5'8' and 150 lbs is right in the middle of the normal range (normal bmi is 19-25, yours is 22.8). You are way below the U.S. average and very near the world average.* I think it's entirely normal that you are having trouble losing more weight. Perhaps you don't need to. At your weight I think youll see better results by focusing more on body composition and less on weight.

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328#G2A34H1.68W78.5C105
  • sabsypants
    Options
    I actually just joined the gym on sunday and I combined 45 mins of cardio and 45 mins of strength training/toning for the two days I've gone so far haha and plan on doing this 3-5x / week! Gaining 20 lbs seems awful to me right now though, but I will take measurements so I won't get discouraged if the number on the scale rises. Thanks!
  • sabsypants
    Options
    That calculator is really cool!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I actually just joined the gym on sunday and I combined 45 mins of cardio and 45 mins of strength training/toning for the two days I've gone so far haha and plan on doing this 3-5x / week! Gaining 20 lbs seems awful to me right now though, but I will take measurements so I won't get discouraged if the number on the scale rises. Thanks!

Well, you won't necessarily gain weight if you gain muscle and shed body fat--you might stay the same weight-wise. But you will likely LOOK a LOT different.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    False. Care to explain the mechanism where sugar magically causes your body to store fat in the presence of acaloric deficit? Sugar is almost never stored as fat. It's burned through way too quickly by your brain, vital organs, and muscles to actually be converted into fat and stored. Your brain uses roughly 150 grams of sugar a day all on its own, which is about double what the average person consumes per day. Rather than sugar being stored as fat, the reality is that your body spends quite a bit of time converting protein and fat (as well as more complex carbs) into sugar.

The first quote above is as accurate as your response - & your response can easily be misleading.

Refined sugar should be limited on general principle if one cares about a healthy diet & more sugar dangers are coming to light daily.

As most know, refined sugar is a simple carb and in doses too large to utilize quickly will go to fat storage; UNLESS THERE IS A CALORIC DEFICIT.

OP refined sugar is a processed food and in the evolutionary scheme, is a new food source for humans. We have yet to adapt to processing large amounts of concentrated refined sugar. Fruit is the best source of sugar.

Humans have varying amounts of insulin & some have a very limited amount. It's best to consider refined sugar as a potential health risk.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Um, I would think the body uses carbs for energy, not actual sugar...? Maybe I'm wrong.

To the OP: Sugar may or may not be part of what's slowing you down. It certainly isn't the whole picture. Certain people will tend to overeat because it makes them more hungry. There are plenty of studies and topics about insulin spikes and stuff but you don't need to get into specifics. Try to limit sugar (not carbs) intake a bit for a couple days. See how you feel.

^^This. Sugar can quickly cause a hunger rebound.