Sugar intake, help!!!

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic, or per-diabetic, sugar does not matter, it is just a carb.

^This!

and to add even some of us Diabetics do not track sugar.... I have only ever tracked my Caloric intake and my 3 main macro's (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats) My A1c went from 10.0 a day to 5.3 average.....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actually sugar can sabotage your body and cause fat storage, so try to avoid sugar as much as you can.
    False. Care to explain the mechanism where sugar magically causes your body to store fat in the presence of a caloric deficit? Sugar is almost never stored as fat. It's burned through way too quickly by your brain, vital organs, and muscles to actually be converted into fat and stored. Your brain uses roughly 150 grams of sugar a day all on its own, which is about double what the average person consumes per day. Rather than sugar being stored as fat, the reality is that your body spends quite a bit of time converting protein and fat (as well as more complex carbs) into sugar.

Um, I would think the body uses carbs for energy, not actual sugar...? Maybe I'm wrong.

To the OP: Sugar may or may not be part of what's slowing you down. It certainly isn't the whole picture. Certain people will tend to overeat because it makes them more hungry. There are plenty of studies and topics about insulin spikes and stuff but you don't need to get into specifics. Try to limit sugar (not carbs) intake a bit for a couple days. See how you feel.
    Carbs are sugar. Sugar is a carb. All carbs and all sugars are broken down into glucose. Glucose is a simple sugar that basically everything in the body runs on. Also, insulin is an appetite suppressant. That's why protein is satiating, the insulin spike from consuming protein blunts appetite.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic, or per-diabetic, sugar does not matter, it is just a carb.

^This!

and to add even some of us Diabetics do not track sugar.... I have only ever tracked my Caloric intake and my 3 main macro's (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats) My A1c went from 10.0 a day to 5.3 average.....

You can tackle the problem of too high blood sugar from more than one angle. You can exercise a lot more (bringing blood sugar down and making the muscles less insulin resistant--which will help in the overall diabetes picture). Or you can restrict calories in general, so that the calories that are taken in are utilized quickly (because you are at a calorie-deficit). And/or you can restrict simple carbs and sugar which appears to be much more effective in combating Tyoe II diabetes and its complications. Just because someone loses weight does not mean that the kidneys will be free of damage that occurs from uric acid levels that are too high. Here is an article that speaks to the issue of high uric acid levels that are a result of not only eating a purine rich diet but a diet that is high in fructose. Table sugar--sucrose--is 50% fructose. http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full

There has been an epidemic of renal failure among sugar cane workers in Central America. It is thought that the studies that are currently ongoing will show that their habit of drinking sugar-sweetened fruit juice and soda pop send the workers' uric acid levels surging and their chronic dehydration (it is extremely hot in the fields) contributes to uric acid crystallizing in their kidneys and destroying them. It is thought that this is likely the mechanism behind the renal failure that plagues diabetics as well. It is wise for diabetics to restrict their fructose intake. One further note---the sugar cane workers of Central America are usually quite slender. They generally are not able to attain sufficient calories to become overweight and they do heavy manual labor.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Actually sugar can sabotage your body and cause fat storage, so try to avoid sugar as much as you can.
    False. Care to explain the mechanism where sugar magically causes your body to store fat in the presence of a caloric deficit? Sugar is almost never stored as fat. It's burned through way too quickly by your brain, vital organs, and muscles to actually be converted into fat and stored. Your brain uses roughly 150 grams of sugar a day all on its own, which is about double what the average person consumes per day. Rather than sugar being stored as fat, the reality is that your body spends quite a bit of time converting protein and fat (as well as more complex carbs) into sugar.

Correction. Your body uses glucose---not table sugar, the fructose content of which (sucrose, i.e. sugar, is 50% fructose), must be converted in the liver. It is fructose that is problematic in large amounts. The small amount that one takes in consuming a serving or two of low-fructose fruit do not appear to be a problem, especially since it is bound in fiber which slows the transmission. But the large amount of sugar that is eaten on a daily basis (estimated to be 500 calories--from all sources) is a real problem for the obese and those who are on their way to metabolic syndrome. Here is a peer-reviewed article (in a nephrology journal) that speaks to the issue: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full
    First of all, I never said anything about table sugar. I said sugar. Glucose is a monosaccharide. Monosaccharide means "single sugar."

As for fructose, fructose is generally easily processed by the body when consumed with an equal amount of glucose (which happens in table sugar, for the record.) And that article mentioned metabolic syndrome in rats caused by fructose. What they left out of the article was that the study they took those results from fed rats half to 3/4ths of their body weight each day in fructose to achieve those results. Since I'm not eating 100 pounds of fructose a day, I'm not worried about it. Studies done on humans, using reasonable doses, have not shown health issues from consuming fructose.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Um, I would think the body uses carbs for energy, not actual sugar...? Maybe I'm wrong.

To the OP: Sugar may or may not be part of what's slowing you down. It certainly isn't the whole picture. Certain people will tend to overeat because it makes them more hungry. There are plenty of studies and topics about insulin spikes and stuff but you don't need to get into specifics. Try to limit sugar (not carbs) intake a bit for a couple days. See how you feel.
    Carbs are sugar. Sugar is a carb. All carbs and all sugars are broken down into glucose. Glucose is a simple sugar that basically everything in the body runs on. Also, insulin is an appetite suppressant. That's why protein is satiating, the insulin spike from consuming protein blunts appetite.

But, (and I'm sure you know this) all foods high in carbohydrates are NOT created equal. Yes, the body can convert practically anything you put into your mouth into blood glucose. However, there is a price to pay in metabolizing fructose. Those who eat a lot of fructose (in the form of table sugar) are setting themselves up for a potential list of medical problems: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Why? Because of the evil insulinz?

Yeah, didnt you know the insulinz send your body into starvation mode?
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    as long as you only eat sugar between 7:45 and 7:58p.m your body actually stores it as love.
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I literally just discovered that I have this same problem. Always going over on my daily sugars with fruit like banana and clementines....
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Correction. Your body uses glucose---not table sugar, the fructose content of which (sucrose, i.e. sugar, is 50% fructose), must be converted in the liver. It is fructose that is problematic in large amounts. The small amount that one takes in consuming a serving or two of low-fructose fruit do not appear to be a problem, especially since it is bound in fiber which slows the transmission. But the large amount of sugar that is eaten on a daily basis (estimated to be 500 calories--from all sources) is a real problem for the obese and those who are on their way to metabolic syndrome. Here is a peer-reviewed article (in a nephrology journal) that speaks to the issue: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full
    First of all, I never said anything about table sugar. I said sugar. Glucose is a monosaccharide. Monosaccharide means "single sugar."

As for fructose, fructose is generally easily processed by the body when consumed with an equal amount of glucose (which happens in table sugar, for the record.) And that article mentioned metabolic syndrome in rats caused by fructose. What they left out of the article was that the study they took those results from fed rats half to 3/4ths of their body weight each day in fructose to achieve those results. Since I'm not eating 100 pounds of fructose a day, I'm not worried about it. Studies done on humans, using reasonable doses, have not shown health issues from consuming fructose.

The research is still being done, but what you are saying is probably not true. You have not accounted for the fact that most mammals have uricase--including rats (eliminates uric acid). Human beings do not. It doesn't take very much fructose to cause a surge in uric acid in experiments with many people. The only mechanism that we have for ridding the body of uric acid is to send it out through the kidneys. What do you consider a "reasonable dose" of fructose? The recommended not-to exceed number of 25 grams per day? That is the amount in a couple of servings of low-fructose fruit and a couple of fructose-containing vegetables (like tomatoes). It is certainly NOT the 130 grams of fructose contained in one portion of "Carrot Cake A La Mode" from The Keg restaurant. One can of soda has 26 grams of fructose.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "First of all, I never said anything about table sugar. I said sugar. Glucose is a monosaccharide. Monosaccharide means "single sugar."

You are being disingenuous, Saurak. Most of the consumption of "sugar" in this country (and around the world) is in the form of table sugar--sucrose--and that is generally what we mean when we simply say "sugar."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Pardon me---in my post above, I referred to "Saurak" when the statement that I quoted was made by Tiger'sword, :blushing:

Carry on! :smile:
  • tigersword
    Options

The research is still being done, but what you are saying is probably not true. You have not accounted for the fact that most mammals have uricase--including rats (eliminates uric acid). Human beings do not. It doesn't take very much fructose to cause a surge in uric acid in experiments with many people. The only mechanism that we have for ridding the body of uric acid is to send it out through the kidneys. What do you consider a "reasonable dose" of fructose? The recommended not-to exceed number of 25 grams per day? That is the amount in a couple of servings of low-fructose fruit and a couple of fructose-containing vegetables (like tomatoes). It is certainly NOT the 130 grams of fructose contained in one portion of "Carrot Cake A La Mode" from The Keg restaurant. One can of soda has 26 grams of fructose.
    I've seen fructose recommendations that range from 25 grams per day to 130 grams per day. Simple fact is, with humans, we can adapt to higher levels of fructose consumption in a matter of three days. You're building a straw man by focusing on Utica acid and fructose, when diet alone does not affect uric acid levels enough to cause the problems that article talked about in humans.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I've seen fructose recommendations that range from 25 grams per day to 130 grams per day. Simple fact is, with humans, we can adapt to higher levels of fructose consumption in a matter of three days. You're building a straw man by focusing on Utica acid and fructose, when diet alone does not affect uric acid levels enough to cause the problems that article talked about in humans.

Wrong.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All of the scientific debate aside, if you're over on sugar because you had an orange and some dates, I'd be much less concerned about it than if you were over because of soda and pixie sticks. Fruit provides fiber and vitamins, so if you're not eating junk, don't worry about it too much.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    All of the scientific debate aside, if you're over on sugar because you had an orange and some dates, I'd be much less concerned about it than if you were over because of soda and pixie sticks. Fruit provides fiber and vitamins, so if you're not eating junk, don't worry about it too much.

This^^^ If you don't have a specific medical condition where you need to watch your fructose, then by all means, eat away (by the way, even though dates are rather high in fructose, they really have a lot of other nutrients that are quite beneficial). I agree with you that taking in empty calories from soda and "pixie sticks" (whatever those are--I assume they are junk food) is a terrible idea for anyone who is on a calorie-restricted diet (we simply cannot afford ANY loss of nutrient content in our food).
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sugar, as you know, can cause an Insulin spike. Insulin triggers your fat storing mechanisms. It just is what it is. Additional, when your body increasse Insulin (storing fat) or Cortisol (which stores fat in response to stress), it shuts down adiponectin production which is a fat BURNING protein. People tend to poo-poo that whole insulin spike and its impact. Reality... it is true and a double whammy.

If you are eating a lot of fruit, that could be contributing to your elevated sugar. I get a lot of sugar that way, too. However, the fiber in the fruit tempers the Insulin spike. In that case, it is just a carb.

Peace and good luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This from the website that you linked:

"Cutting out sweet drinks is non-negotiable. Sweet tea, soda, and flavored and sweetened milks, waters, and coffees all have to go. Drink plain water, low-fat milk, and sugar-free drinks instead. A study of 810 adults between 25 and 79 years old showed that after 18 months, those who cut out sweet drinks had greater weight loss than those who cut down on food calories. One possible reason: While your body lets you know when it is full of food, there is no way for your body to tell you when you’ve maxed out on liquid calories."

Is this the kind of thing that you wanted us to know? Forgive me but you are being rather cryptic. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Sugar, as you know, can cause an Insulin spike. Insulin triggers your fat storing mechanisms. It just is what it is. Additional, when your bidy increase Insulin 9storing fat) or Cortisol (which stores fat in response to tress), it shuts down adiponectin prduction which is a fat BURNING hormone. People tend to poo-poo that whole insulin spike and its impact. Reality... it is true and a double whammy.

If you are eating a lot of fruit, that could be contributing to your elevated sugar. I get a lot of sugar that way. however, the fiber in the fruit tempers the insulin spike. In that case, it is just a carb.

Peace and good luck!

Thanks for the accurate and insightful response. :smile: