BUYING TREADMILL VS ELIPTICAL???

Options
Which would you purchase? Success stories welcome.

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    For me I would get a treadmill I bought a eliptical and hated it
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have one of each. I've been a runner for years, but needed some way to do cardio on my non-running days, so we bought an elliptical. (Sole) Worked great! Then I bought a treadmill (Precor) so I didn't have to do all of my winter running outside in the dark after work. I love it, too! I guess it depends on what you want to do.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've been using the eliptical because it gives me a better burn then just walking. I'm not a runner. The eliptical is not as tough on your joints either and works your arms too.
  • Shea2013
    Options
    Thanks! Basically I'm looking for whatever is gonna burn the most calories the quickest. LOL
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, I like the elliptical because I have an old injury that makes it very painful/difficult to run, and if I'm only walking on the treadmill, it doesn't do all that much... So to get a better burn (as PP said) I use an elliptical. I also feel (personally) that the elliptical tends to work more muscle groups at once.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Try them both and buy the one that you like. It won't do you any good to buy a machine that you hate because then you won't use it.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE my elliptical! It's super easy on the joints, which is a plus.
  • Shea2013
    Options
    So if you do 30 minutes on an eliptical what is the average burn?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Either can be a great calorie burner. It all depends on how hard you push yourself. Buy whichever you find more enjoyable, because that's the one you'll want to use most often.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So if you do 30 minutes on an eliptical what is the average burn?

It will vary greatly based on fitness level, weight, incline (treadmill) or resistance (eliptical) and how hard you push. Intensity makes a huge difference.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would buy the Elliptical. I hated if at first but now have a love hate relationship. I hate using it for the most part, but love what it is doing for me!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have old injuries on my right ankle, left knee and lower back. Treadmill hurts these and makes it tough to do it daily. Ellipitcal has no pounding and I can do it everyday and have done that now for a few months and I'm hooked.

So Ellipitcal if you have any injuries as it is much smoother with no pounding on your joints.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I have both a treadmill and an elliptical (made by proform) and I enjoy them both. I used to be more partial to the elliptical, but find myself using the treadmill more nowadays for endurance.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Do you have a need for low impact?

I would buy an eliptical if I had to chose, you can run outside but you can't replicate the low impact motion of the eliptical.
  • jimtybod
    jimtybod Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Neither, go with a bike (one that allows you to pedal backwards with resistance too)
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Its really a personal question. Do you want to be a runner or just get low impact cardio?
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have both but usually end up going to the gym..... The benefits of each, for me:

Elliptical:
    * Gets my upper body involved.
    * Easier on the joints.
    * I find, with the programming, that HIIT interval training seems to be easier to do on my elliptical.
    * Easier to read a book/mag.
    * Better for being on a conf call!

Treadmill:
    * I am 6' 4". The treadmill allows me to run full stride. The elliptical feels like the stride length is too short.
    * Pretty good on joints (padded deck) but not quite as gentle on my old (48 yrs old) knees.
    * Sprinting up hill (15 degree incline!)!

General: I like the elliptical for teh long indoor work outs and the treadmill for the hard core work outs.

Good luck!
  • Shea2013
    Options
    Well, as of right now I am very, extremely out of shape. I'm 230 pounds and need to lose a lot of weight. I can't walk up stairs or anything without being out of breath. So for now... I want what's going to help me slim down and build muscle the quickest. In the end, I'd love to be a runner, though.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A a runner, I run outside as the default, the treadmill if outside is not available and the ellipticall only if I am injured, for which it is great.
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    I know it's not one of the options in your question, but an indoor rower is another excellent piece of equipment for cardio exercises and it's one most people don't consider.

They take up very little space, there is virtually no jarring motion on the knees, hips, etc and they work out almost the entire body, e.g. legs on the initial drive, core trunk muscles throughout, shoulders and arms on the finish. If you're a runner or walker, it's a great way to work the legs and build stamina without over-using the same muscles and joints. Since Sept 2012, I've dropped 38 pounds using a rower and watching what I eat.

P.S. Stay away from the hydraulic rowers, look for ones that use a fan or water for resistance. Concept2 or RowPerfect brand names are the best. They can be expensive new, but I picked up my C2 model B rower second hand for $250 thru CraigsList, it's over 24 years old and is built like a tank. Replacement parts are very inexpensive and the rower is still supported by the manufacturer despite its age.

And no, I don't work for them, but my rower has been key to me burning calories and losing weight.

Find one at a gym and try it out.