BUYING TREADMILL VS ELIPTICAL???

Options

Replies

• laureneverage
    Options
    My trainer has always said a treadmill is better because you have so many more options. More workouts and better ways to use a treadmill!
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I bought an elliptical because:
    1. It burns the most calories
    2. It uses the most muscle groups
    3. It takes the least amount of space (my vision 1500 does anyway)
    4. It's non impact
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    So, here's the thing; your user name says getleanbuildmuscle and neither of those machines are going to do those things for you. Walk outside and buy yourself a set of weights and squat stand. Seriously. THAT is what is going to getleanbuildmuscle. Treadmill and elliptical are going to eatmusclekillyouwithboredom

If you absolutely must have a machine, get a rower.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    try them, but here are the pros and cons for both

treadmill:
    +maintains speed for you
    +easy for intervals
    +good for hill work if you pick one with a good incline (10+)
    +usually folds
    -Loud
    -Tough on joints because of the repeated motion
    -Boring compared to running outside

Elliptical:
    +Relatively noise free
    +works upper body
    +can be done forward and backward
    +cannot be done outside
    +no joint problems
    -boring compared to running outside
    -expensive to get a correct model
    -takes a lot of space and does not fold

now you need to try both, and unless you have kids and live in a cold place, I would take running outside any day rather than buy any of these two machines
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Elliptical all the way! I'm 190lbs, I do level 20 for 30 mins and burn roughly 600 cals. I can't run straight on a treadmill it throws me off balance. So that's my vote.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know someone mentioned a bike because you can pedal backwards....the elipticals we have in the office gym can go backwards as well and still use the settings you select. I don't do it but a coworker does.

And as far as calories burned, I normally try to do around 30-45 minutes and have burned as muchas 500 calories before but I use a pretty good incline and always have a pretty high restitance set as well.
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the T100 series treadmill from play it again sports store. It was $600, has a lifetime warranty on the motor and the walking deck is more flexible and easier on my knees than the expensive ones I have tried at the gym. All I do is change up incline and speed for a harder worker as opposed to just a stroll. I have a bad back and bad knees and the elliptical threw out my sciatic nerve so I stayed away from it. I would say get on whatever makes you want to be on it for the duration of your workout. Also most gyms have a free 1 week pass this time of year, could always go and try them out for a few days. Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I prefer an eliptical. What ever you do, check out Craigslist.org first! All of the New Year Resolution-ers are selling the equipment they never used.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a good workout and you can afford it, the CYBEX Arc Trainer is the best way to go in my opinion. This is my next big purchase!
  • daydreamer_28
    daydreamer_28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, as of right now I am very, extremely out of shape. I'm 230 pounds and need to lose a lot of weight. I can't walk up stairs or anything without being out of breath. So for now... I want what's going to help me slim down and build muscle the quickest. In the end, I'd love to be a runner, though.

How you burn calories depends on how hard you work. I have done 99% of my workouts on an elliptical and have been very successful with it. After about 5 months, I started running for the first time in my life and found that I really did build a solid cardio base with my elliptical that I converted pretty quickly to running. With the bad winter weather, I am now wishing that I had a treadmill along with my elliptical.

For a beginner, I would recommend an elliptical but you need to get one that adjusts stride length to match your height and legs. Ellipticals are a repetitive motion and you can get repetitive motion injuries if they are not fit to your body. Treadmills have their issues too but the generally allow you to set your own stride length. Try both before you buy and I would recommend only buying something of quality...the cheapest of either will end up being a complete waste of money.

I agree with this, I have a treadmill at home and use the elliptical when I go to the gym. They have 6 different styles and I can only use 2 of them, I am short and find the ones that do not work hurt my knee. Quality is always best, we had a cheap treadmill and my hubby hated it (he is a bigger and has longer stride and he needed a treadmill with a bigger HP).
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Go to a store and try them all out. Actually, go to several stores and try them out. Different models of ellipticals have different stride lengths and types. Some feel almost like a stair climber, some are closer to a walk. Different treadmills have different decks and cushioning.

I prefer the treadmill. If I want to burn more calories, I increase the incline.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I've had two trainers tell me you can burn more on a treadmill if you use higher inclines... which I have and do... I hate elipticals.... but have found the Precor AMT burns more than both of them and is similar to both in ways too... and adds stepper in there too... it burns higher than both and quite fun to use... has some bounce and is safer on joints than treadmill but more free moving than the eliptical.

http://www.precor.com/en-us/commercial/products/cardio/precor-products/amt
  • lisaroelfs
    lisaroelfs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally really like the Arc trainer. I have bad knees and it works you from your hips and not your knees.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know it's not one of the options in your question, but an indoor rower is another excellent piece of equipment for cardio exercises and it's one most people don't consider.

They take up very little space, there is virtually no jarring motion on the knees, hips, etc and they work out almost the entire body, e.g. legs on the initial drive, core trunk muscles throughout, shoulders and arms on the finish. If you're a runner or walker, it's a great way to work the legs and build stamina without over-using the same muscles and joints. Since Sept 2012, I've dropped 38 pounds using a rower and watching what I eat.

P.S. Stay away from the hydraulic rowers, look for ones that use a fan or water for resistance. Concept2 or RowPerfect brand names are the best. They can be expensive new, but I picked up my C2 model B rower second hand for $250 thru CraigsList, it's over 24 years old and is built like a tank. Replacement parts are very inexpensive and the rower is still supported by the manufacturer despite its age.

And no, I don't work for them, but my rower has been key to me burning calories and losing weight.

Find one at a gym and try it out.

This
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    We bought a used Bowflex Treadclimber. It can be used as a treadmill, a stepper and an elliptical. I love it!
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We bought a used Bowflex Treadclimber. It can be used as a treadmill, a stepper and an elliptical. I love it!

I would love to have one of these!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I'd say try a trial gym membership and see what you like better before you decide to buy one... personally I like the Elliptical A LOT better... but If say you wanted to work out slowly while either on the computer, or working, etc... it would be a lot easier to rig a desk around a treadmill to work from than an Elliptical... If you were just planning on working out and not multi-tasking then I'd try to decide which one I liked better before commiting to buying one... Or... buy them at a thrift store or from Craigslist used and buy both?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My advice....don't buy either one.....join a gym. Really good home equipment is expensive, and then you're limited to just that machine, so if you hate it, you're out of luck. Buying cheap stuff is not worth it because the lower end machines are harder to use and leave you more likely to NOT use them. A gym membership gives you access to anything and everything you might want to do as you progress your fitness level....
  • suzysweetpea
    suzysweetpea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would go for an Elliptical..I love mine, it is so much easier on the joints, and I burn alot more calories on it..Not all Ellipticals are the same or feel the same, I have used different ones, and LIFEFITNESS is the best brand in my opinion...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i am wondering this too, i am going to get a treadmill.