Glute exercises

Options
I've always had a small butt, and I know that by building muscle and toning it I will be able to get a bigger booty than before. What are some exercises that you have experience with or have heard positive things about?

Thanks!

Replies

• mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Every time I ask a question it gets buried without answer. At least I'm not asking about raspberry keytones? Lol
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Squats. I really don't know, but I've heard squats are awesome for just about anything you want.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges. Walk flights of stairs.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    u can try doing step aerobics...really helps..
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Squats, go to or below parallel, use good form.
    Deadlifts
    Weighted Hip Thrusts
    Lateral band walks

I always take stairs 2 at a time and focus on my glutes.. might be silly but I swear it helps.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    If you need ideas for workout moves, check out Blogilates on youtube (she has plenty of butt workout videos), or any pilates routine based around shaping your butt!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't have the best butt in the world, but what I did (and still do on Leg Day) is barbell squats, walking lunges while holding dumbbells, leg press machine with the feet placed high on the plate (lower uses more quads, higher uses more glutes), sumo deadlifts (I find that sumos work more butt while stiff-legged and Romanians tend to work more lower back and hams), and leg curls (only because I like to finish off with an iso move, lol). I also do calf raises for body symmetry on Leg Day. I can't stand looking at people, men especially, with massive upper bodies and nice quads with dinky little ankles. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also find the step mill useful on cardio days. (not stairmaster machines, but the thing that looks like a big staircase with moving stairs)
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have narrow, square hips and a flat butt. I understand it is genetic, but that doesn't mean I cannot get the best my genetics have to offer, right? So, I'm on the track of toning, lifting and 'enlarging' my glutes.

I've been doing the workout linked below for two weeks, 3 or 4 times a week, and I'm seeing some results. It's not the only workout I do, but it is the only one that targets that specific area.

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Booty-Shaper-Workout-Exercises-for-a-Bigger-Butt/9q/

It looks difficult (or at least it looked difficult to me) but it's actually doable.

I've been told that once you get to a certain point on your muscle training, body weight exercise is not enough, so going to the gym (or getting a machine) to get nice rounded hypertrophied glutes with extra weight (or any other muscle) is in order.

But I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now, I'm very far away from considering that body weight training is not enough. Until then, I'll continue with the workouts on that website.

I tried Jillian Michaels' "Killer Buns & Thighs" but it was too much of a killer for me :P That could mean it is appropriate for someone in better shape.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Listen to Bret when it comes to glutes. Bret Contreras, the glute guy.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And check out his own web sites.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Depends on what equipment you have access to.

At home, squats and good mornings

At a gym, Glute-Ham raises, Dimel Deadlifts, Block Pulls, Pull Throughs.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Lunges.
    Deadlifts.

Did I mention deadlifts?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squats, go to or below parallel, use good form.
    Deadlifts
    Weighted Hip Thrusts

^^^
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of an opposite "problem", but I believe the solution is the same: squats, lunges and deadlifts.

the trick is to vary your excercise so that you keep surprising those muscles. For instance, after mastering the basic squats and lunges, try the "hold a light dumbbell straight in front of you with both hands, squat, raise up, in the same motion raise your right knee to your left elbow, lower your leg, squat, raise up, in the same motion raise your left knee to your right elbow" - it looks like a bizarre slow-motion cancan. You can also try the standard biceps curl while alternately doing a sideways leg lift. Or a squat combined with a dumbbell-raise above your head while standing on a balance board. Or you can use the step: step up with a forward lunge, bring other leg to the step, squat, step off with a backward lunge. alternate legs for the forward and backward lunges.

Backwards lunges are more difficult than forwards lunges and somehow you'll end up using your muscles slightly differently...
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Deadlifts.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Lunges.
    Deadlifts.

Did I mention deadlifts?

maybe you should read what the Glute Guy has to say on the subject. Then you would not be so deadlift orientated for glute activation.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    http://www.fasterglobal.com/gluteus-maximus-squat/

Presenting the scientific information of how to fire the glutes in exercise, with training videos.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    oh, and for squats, I recently read this article on foot positioning: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/legs/avoid-squatting-missteps-proper-foot-position

I haven't been at it long enough to report any preference, but I'm trying things out. To be honest, I'd so far paid more attention to my knees staying properly parallel (as opposed to assuming an x or o form), so now I'll be working on my feet. should be interesting, considering I'm slightly flat-footed.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of an opposite "problem", but I believe the solution is the same: squats, lunges and deadlifts.

the trick is to vary your excercise so that you keep surprising those muscles. For instance, after mastering the basic squats and lunges, try the "hold a light dumbbell straight in front of you with both hands, squat, raise up, in the same motion raise your right knee to your left elbow, lower your leg, squat, raise up, in the same motion raise your left knee to your right elbow" - it looks like a bizarre slow-motion cancan. You can also try the standard biceps curl while alternately doing a sidewaysleg lift. Or a squat combined with a dumbbell-raise above your head while standing on a balance board. Backwards lunges are more difficult than forwards lunges and somehow you'll end up using your muscles slightly differently...

I'd recommend against this. Don't try to change up the exercise with bands or stability balls or whatever. Just do the exercise with more weight or more reps than you did last time.

If you want to hit a certain muscle, try this:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

For glutes specifically:
    Glute Ham Raise
    BB Glute Bridge
    Glute Kickbacks
    Stiff Leg Deadlift

More broad moves that still hit them:
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Rear foot elevated split squats
    Lunges
    Stepups
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,689 Member
    Options
    I had big glutes when I used to speed skate. So I would suggest taking up rollerblading.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Lunges.
    Deadlifts.

Did I mention deadlifts?

maybe you should read what the Glute Guy has to say on the subject. Then you would not be so deadlift orientated for glute activation.

If all I worried about is how my butt looks, then perhaps I'd be interested in what the "Glute Guy" has to say. Hey, do you have a link for "Pecs guy" or maybe "achilles heel guy"?