How do YOU stay consistent

Options
13»

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1. Go for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I want to leave I can guilt free. I've never left after 10 minutes, because I did all the work of going and I'm feeling good after 10 minutes.

2. Schedule my workouts. I go every M/W/F from 7-8:30. If I skip I don't really have a way to make up the workout because I have my time already accounted for. This also allows me to set aside time for exercise and making it a priority (and signal to my family/friends that I have a commitment to myself at that time).

3. Find balance in my life otherwise. I know I go 2-3x per week, but I do fun/interesting things on the other days so that I don't feel like I need to skip my workouts. Basically I start to schedule other parts of my life in the way I schedule my workouts.

4. Choose fun exercise that I enjoy and look forward to. Volleyball, ballet, zombies run! app, completing a specific lifting program (NROLFA/W, Butt Bible, P90x, etc.)

5. Change up my routine every 6-10 weeks. I thrive on the setting a goal & achieving it, so having a change at most every 10 weeks helps me have an 'end' to my workouts. I think most people are conditioned this way because of school - end of a class/quarter/semester/grade/project.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm consistent because I don't see it as optional. I know I HAVE to exercise a certain amount to be able to eat the way I want to eat. It's on my mental "to-do" list with grocery shopping, paying bills, dishes and laundry.

At first, joining a gym was a big incentive. I couldn't stand the thought of paying for something and NOT using it. Now, having a home gym is a bigger incentive, because I don't have the "I don't have time to GO to the gym" excuse. And I refuse to let my weight bench turn into a clothes rack.

I do best when I have a fitness goal... some plan or program that I'm working through. At first, it was just being able to run a 5k, then 5 miles, then a 10k, then win a medal. And early on, I was following a program with EA Sports Active 2 on the PS3 that was 4x a week. Later, I switched to heavy lifting, and started following Stronglifts. I'm currently still lifting, but my bigger focus is on running at the moment, and I'm doing the Zombies Run 5k training app. Yeah, I can already run the distance, but this is my first winter running in the cold (broken ankle last year) and it's nice to follow a structured program, especially one with a zombie storyline. :laugh:
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i dunno lay off cheese and eat fiber??
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the love of food (and beer).

I love food SO much, I'm willing to workout every day for it.
    If I don't get my morning workout, I know that that's however many fewer calories I can eat that day,
    and I want to EAT!!!! (and drink my beer) :drinker:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i dunno lay off cheese and eat fiber??

Haha! Thanx man

These are all really good suggestions. Thanx everyone
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To be honest falling off the wagon is aright from time to time as long as you get back on as soon as possible.
    I have fallen off so many times and now I'm seeing a loss again :) it's amazing.
    I think it depends on what works, if you know that you can always talk yourself into it then brilliant do that.
    For me it doesn't work so I just end up listing the positive and negative points of not doing what I'm meant to do and that works for me but it won't work for everyone.
    You just have to try and find out :)
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a priority! Log all of your food in advance and just stick to what you've logged. It's been working for me for almost a year now.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You just need to make it into a habit. Supposedly if you do something for 30 days it becomes one. So, just do it. Every time I don't want to I just think to myself, Do you not care about yourself enough to get up and workout your @ss for a whole 20 minutes? You have sat your @ss on the couch for years, get up. Sometimes it's good to have some tough love for yourself.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your routine? I was miserable at first, then I finally found a combination that works for me. I went from making up excuses in my head all day long about how to get out of exercising, to getting mad when I have to miss a workout.
  • maulop
    maulop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try not to think that you HAVE TO go to the gym, just go, when you're there start your routine without hesitation. After a month you'll need the exercise. So motivation won't be a problem. If you want that to happen quicker, try going everyday at least 30 min.

I forced myself to go everyday on the first month and now i don't feel to be obligated to go. I just want to go.

If you need motivation for consistency, here's some benefits from working out:

Social benefits:

1- you'll look better when someone takes a picture. (very important when looking at the pictures of the last party and thinking "ugh!").
    2- people start hitting on you more often and wants to be around you a lot. (maybe a drawback lol)
    3- everyone notice you're losing weight or gaining muscle and they want to know how you did it.
    4- your partner in life brags about you and how you look.
    5- you'll get a more positive attitude towards goals, since you overcome your own obstacles.

Physical and emotional

1- you'll get stronger and have more energy every day.
    2- running or climbing a tree is not a problem.
    3- you're more happy since the excercise release endorphines that makes you feel relaxed and happy.
    4- your elasticity improves in time, since you'll have to stretch after every workout.
    5- More muscle instead of fat means that you'll feel warmer in winter without too much clothes on. (by getting a higher metabolism).
    6- You won't get sick easily. (and will recover faster from illness).
    7- After a few months, workouts become easier and you'll need something more challenging.
    8- Clothes looks better, and you get more variety to try on (also provoke envy on others).
    9- your sleep improves. (no idea why).

Food

1- You'll get to eat a lot more since you will need more energy to mantain your ideal weight.
    2- You learn to love water (and is cheaper and better than sodas)
    3- you can eat whatever you want without feeling guilty. (long term goal)
    4- over time you'll learn to eat properly and start wanting food with more quality than quantity.
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My new mantra is that "I don't get to give up, not this time". I don't want to give up, I want to get healthy and happy and look and feel great. This is the first time I've ever been so committed to losing weight. That being said, I have had days where I didn't want to go to the gym. Today was one of them. In the end I hauled *kitten* to my gym at 10pm an hour before it closed. I decided I wasn't going to quit. I went and got a good 45 minute workout done and felt so good. After four and a half weeks, my body is raring to go and skipping the gym just makes me feel so blah. Sometimes we just have to get out of our own ways to be successful.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I read these two quotes early on and they've stayed with me every since:

“There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.” ~Unknown

“Most people fail, not because of lack of desire, but, because of lack of commitment.” ~Vince Lombardi

Basically I had to start telling myself what I WILL do and then just don't accept anything less. In the beginning that meant a lot of self talk and basically not going to bed until I finished what I promised. After doing a bunch of exercise at 11pm (not a night owl), I started wising up and learning how to plan it better. My goals change as I go along, but whatever they are at that moment, I make them concrete and tell myself ahead of time what I will be doing. They are not based on whim or how I am feeling that day (unless I am truly sick).

(Example: In the beginning, I exercised 5 days a week. It didn't really matter what the activity itself was. The idea was to learn to exercise consistently. I made it 5 days a week so I would stop the "not today" mentality but allow for recovery days. Then I added the 30 Day Shred to 3 of my days to learn how to be consistent with one activity. Later I started a strength training program. I switched to 3 days a week with a specific purpose. Summer came and my goal was to move as much as I could during vacation and plan it around activities. Then it was back to strength training for the next several months. Now I am in transition plan while I am moving and dealing with legal stuff and thus I am depending on the basics of exercising 3x a week (regardless of activity). I am also looking into adding a body weight program when I recover from pneumonia. When I have a clear access to a gym again, I will be back to heavy lifting strength training. The goals change but whatever it is during that time, I do not get wishy washy with it. I make it clear what my plan is and I meet it because I say I will).

The question you need to ask yourself is if you are really ready to change. Here's another good quote for thought:

“It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.” ~James Gordon

The last bit I want to leave you with is this: “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” ~Jim Rohn

You will not be motivated everyday. Commitment is the true key behind success.