Greek yogurt vs others

Options
1235»

Replies

• AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt when I'm in the mood for it. I mix a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon a slivered almonds into mine, or if I want it for breakfast, I add a scoop of low sugar chocolate protein powder. It's an acquired taste.
  • EmilyWest1919
    EmilyWest1919 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek Yogurt is delicious with a bit of strawberry or blueberry pancake syrup (you'll find it in the maple syrup section). It makes it patable for me anyway and the kiddos love it!
  • alkathyv
    Options
    doctor told me that the protein was higher. i need lots of protein!!!
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    The Greek Gods greek yogurt and Fage combo pack with honey are the best in my opinion. When I first started eating greek yogurt, I would add cereal, granola, nuts, etc- but now it's delicoius and I eat it plain.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan myself. I get it might be a better choice but there's only one yogurt (non-greek) I really enjoy and I'll stick to it.
    I agree totally and would like to add for the cost and extra protien, I choose to eat real protien and keep my old yougart. And I tried all different kinds and my favorite of the greek yogurts I did try was Chobani Pineapple and the strawberry flavors 2nd.

And, why is the protein in Greek yogurt not "real"? Do you know how Greek yogurt is made and why it's higher protein? It doesn't have added protein, it's just strained to concentrate the protein and lower the sugar content. How is that not "real protein"??

Quite a few of "greek" yogurts are the normal faux yogurt with gelatin and whey protein added. While it's still real protein... i guess for that user it's not the same.

As far as icelandic yogurt it has 10g of protein per serving as opposed to greek which has 20g+ per, so not apples to apples.

Greek Gods is not greek yogurt as we have come to know it. It's just thickened normal yogurt.

"Quite a few" are made with added gelatin and whey protein? Which ones? Most of the ones I have checked in my local stores are not. Chobani, Fage, Dannon Oikos, Stonyfield, Great Value, Trader Joes, Brown Cow, Athenos, Wallaby... The ONLY brand I have found that contains added gelatin and whey protein is Yoplait.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Yoplait, Lucerne, Cabot, Anderson Erickson, Activia, and I'm sure quite a few local dairies use thickeners and protein additives.
    Greek Gods uses pectin as a thickener and isn't greek yogurt by any stretch of the imagination. Many use creative labeling calling them Greek Style rather than Greek yogurt.