Your Goal Weight (especially for those with a lot to lose)

Options
While looking at the forums and making new friends here the past few weeks, I have been checking out folks' tickers and their goal weights. I'm curious about how you all came to choose your goal weight. Is it doctor recommended? Dictated by governmental or other formal guidelines for someone your gender and height? Is it a weight you once were and were happy with how you looked or felt? For those with a lot to lose -- did you choose a weight that may still be in that category of overweight because it seemed a little less intimidating than what folks SAY someone your gender/height should be?

I am 5'9" and weigh over 400 pounds. For a female at this height -- I *should*, according to standards, weigh around 160. Even my doctor thinks that would be really thin for me. I have set my goal weight at 200. This would still be "overweight" by some guidelines -- but I remember weighing 200 pounds -- being a size 12/14 -- and I recall being pretty happy there. Doesn't mean I'll stop there -- but right now it seems attainable -- and I don't want to overwhelm myself with some unrealistic goal when I have such a long way to go.

Thoughts??

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet and five inches and currently weigh 142.4 pounds. I choose my weight to be 125 or maybe later on 115. I decided I will know when I get there. I remember being at that weight and being pretty happy with myself. I am short so a lot of my weight goes towards my middle and I just want my middle smaller. But good luck in your journey!
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Im about 206 now... Down from about 226 OCT 2012. Trying to hit 185-190. Just the weight I am happy with. I use to be at that weight and was happy with my health and body. I Just got off track with staying in shape a couple years back. Feel free to add me, im on MFP alot.
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and my goal weight is 165 [eventually]. I started off at 333.9 pounds, but have lost more than 90 pounds to date, so I am more than halfway there.

I chose my goal weight myself - - no doctors involved. 165 pounds puts me in a normal BMI range, and I know from past experience that I will be in a 12/14 at that weight, which is where I want to be. I just want to shop in straight size stores again!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My ticker is set to my first goal...which is a small one. I picked my ultimate goal weight as I think its probably a "healthy" weight for my height and build. I'm 5"7' and my ultimate goal is 155-160
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I'm 5'4". The healthiest I've ever been was when I was in Junior high and an active jock. (Then I had back surgery and everything went to hell). I was 164 lbs in the midst of my volleyball season. Toned and fit. I haven't grown an inch since then, and I realize that I'm not nearly as active as I was then, so I set my goal for 175, with the intention of re-assessing when I get there. If I feel like i should drop some body fat at that point, then I'll keep going. If not, I'll maintain.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I look to be around 225 again. When i was married 32 years ago i weight in at 180. Now at 53 i know the reality is i won;t ever see the lower side of 200 again, lol.

But when i was at 225 and doing Karate i couldn;t be beat!
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    5'6" started at 220 headed to 140!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    While looking at the forums and making new friends here the past few weeks, I have been checking out folks' tickers and their goal weights. I'm curious about how you all came to choose your goal weight. Is it doctor recommended? Dictated by governmental or other formal guidelines for someone your gender and height? Is it a weight you once were and were happy with how you looked or felt? For those with a lot to lose -- did you choose a weight that may still be in that category of overweight because it seemed a little less intimidating than what folks SAY someone your gender/height should be?

I am 5'9" and weigh over 400 pounds. For a female at this height -- I *should*, according to standards, weigh around 160. Even my doctor thinks that would be really thin for me. I have set my goal weight at 200. This would still be "overweight" by some guidelines -- but I remember weighing 200 pounds -- being a size 12/14 -- and I recall being pretty happy there. Doesn't mean I'll stop there -- but right now it seems attainable -- and I don't want to overwhelm myself with some unrealistic goal when I have such a long way to go.

Thoughts??

That sounds like a GREAT goal for you to hit right now. Mine came from the fact that I have been where I am now and I know that ONEderland is a possiblity for me. It is the very top of the "health" range for my height (6'2"). Once I get there, I will go where I feel I can and need to go next. I am jsut looking at being healthy more then being skinny. I know I wont look good skinny but, I will look GREAT FIT & FABULOUS so that is what I am aiming for!! :-)

GOOD LUCK on your journey!! :-)
  • Sharla_G
    Options
    From my perspective NOW, even halfway to my goal sounds wonderful.

I set my goal at where I was when I got married. That was NOT a thin weight for my height and bone structure in my mid twenties. 130 for someone small boned at 5'2" is not aggressive. Now, maybe if I built up some muscle, I'd look different than I did at 130 back then. Because I was still quite squishy, is what I'm saying.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    cmfruin2012 we are the same height and I started at 290#. I have my goal set at 165 and would be fine with 180 at this point. Right now I just want to no longer be in the obese category which is around 195.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I look to be around 225 again. When i was married 32 years ago i weight in at 180. Now at 53 i know the reality is i won;t ever see the lower side of 200 again, lol.

But when i was at 225 and doing Karate i couldn;t be beat!

This made me smile!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm 5'4", my goal weight is 160lb, but it is suggested that is should be 130lb. Because I tend to be somewhat muscular, I feel 160lb is a better weight for me. Once I reach my goal weight, I will then re-evaluate.

Good luck on your journey.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I felt my best at. It's at the top end of normal - but I look at pics from back then and don't think I'd look good losing more..at that weight I was able to run 16K no problem..hoping to be able to do that again!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and chose 140lbs as my goal weight starting out because that puts me in "normal" range for my height and body frame. However, I am now more interested in fitness as a goal and I am planning on going more according to my measurements and bf%. I want to keep as much lean body mass as I can so if I weigh 155 but, I am lean and fit, I am really good with that.

Edited to add that I started at 255lbs.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I started at 410, am 5'6" and set my goal weight for 180.

It was a weight where I stayed for some time in the past and felt good at. Now... that said, I was a good bit younger when I was that weight so I may never reach it. This doesn't concern me. My true goal is not some arbitrary number, my goal is a place where I feel good and can do all the things that I want to do.

I figure once I hit 250 or so, I'll re-evaluate what number I may strive for.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    im 5'7 and my goal weight is 158 and is doctor recommended but......... since starting my weight loss i have had many goals, and every time i get close or hit my target i change it, if i had had the goal set at 104lbs to lose from the start i would have failed. hoping to reach the doctors goal by summer (fingers crossed lol) but if/when i do i will set a new target for myself

set yourself smaller goals, perhaps aim for 14lbs (your first stone) then go for 10% of your starting body weight, set your ticker JUST to include these not your full amout yet, it will give you a tremendous buzz seeing 1, 2,3lbs to go
    after you hit each target change your tickers goal weight to your next target, this is what worked best for me

good luck x
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    I started at 302 and now weigh 192 and the top of "normal" weight from the charts is about 159 for a woman who is 5'7".

I discussed this with my doctor recently and she felt that taking the excess skin that I have and that I once made it into the 150's and could not maintain that weight, aiming for 170 is a reasonable and attainable goal. I've gone from a size 26 to a size 12 and plan to stop at a 10 - it makes sense for my age and I know I will have to work harder than I ever have to maintain it.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My ticker is set to my first goal...which is a small one. I picked my ultimate goal weight as I think its probably a "healthy" weight for my height and build. I'm 5"7' and my ultimate goal is 155-160

I had thought about doing that also. I have a notebook where I've written out small goals -- to lose 20 pounds by my birthday in February, to lose 25 pounds by my daughter's birthday in April, to lose 50 pounds by my first anniversary in July, etc. And thought about somehow incorporating those smaller goals here with the ticker. May still edit it to do just that. May make it seem a lot less overwhelming to see alllllllll that space between where I am and where I am headed.
  • Lilyyy7
    Lilyyy7 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am 5'6 and started off at 163. I am currently 144, and my goal it 135. I remember being 135, four or five years ago. I look back at pictures and I remember how happy I was with my body at the time. I imagine myself at that weight again, but a much tones version of me. :)
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I put a goal weight down but to be honest I tell everyone I will know when I get there kinda like the song. I dont care what the scale says. I want to be out of the obese catagory!