women who carry their weight in the midsection?!

Options

Replies

• rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    :happy: you look great!!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 as well and carry ALL of my weight in my belly. You can add me for support and motivation! I dont have any "tips" other than the 30 Day shred literally has been taking inches away from my hips and waist
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think the best for the waist area is getting an eight pound medicine ball, put it above waist level then go across, then go at out front cross, then down, then cross. Think figure eight. Do three reps of fifteen just like on the weight machines. This was on a show about getting to a bridal gown. I did it for months and it really trimmed the stomach and sides.

For bloating in the evening, I hate the stuff but yogurt with probiotics does seem to be the cure.

Good luck with your tummy. Just like who you are at whatever weight you are and keep increasing whatever you're doing.
  • drj1955
    drj1955 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I carry a lot of my weight there as well, mostly as freaking love-handles which are always super attractive (not). Anyway, I'm doing the 30DS and I'm on the 14th day right now, can already see a huge difference (which you can also see in my profile photo). Before that, I was doing endless amounts of 80 cardio for 4 months and lost 20 pounds but gained no definition and I was still 39 inches around my waist. Now that I'm doing 30DS I've lost 5 pounds and I'm 36 inches around my waist. Which.. is progress. :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    progress_zps10e0e19f.png

I'm 5'4 3/4.
    The b4 pic was End of Aug 2011 at 175lbs
    The so far pic was the day after Thanksgiving 2012 at 122lbs
    There isn't any special tips I have. Just eat at a reasonable deficit. Dont starve yourself. Lift weights, do some cardio or just get moving and it will come off as it does. You can't spot reduce, just gotta have patience and lower your body fat %
    I'm 120lbs now. Here is one from recently. If I can do it, anyone can! I looked preggers!
    304781_565217266840333_1797283850_n.jpg

Oh and I haven't had any kids. People always assume I have though.
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that carrying extra weight in your midsection typically means that you are eating too many carbs and that those tend to get stored in your midsection. I was always a pear until about 5 years sgo. Since then, my stomach just kept growing and growing. I went to a holistic gal and she confirmed-I was eating too many carbs. I've had some success cutting back on carbs (especially wheat and sugar). My weight loss is only 7 lbs so far, but I've lost 3 inches in my tummy area this month.

The other biggie is to destress. When you are stressed, your cortisol levels are elevated, which encourages you to store fat-in your midsection.

Good luck!
  • westva2nc
    Options
    I, too, carry nearly all of my weight in my mid-section. Have normal size, somewhat toned arms and legs now, but my tummy is a mess:( I have found that boxing and kickboxing are my best allies....more change in the last 2-3 months than ever before. We do lots of planks, flutter kicks, crunches, sit ups with our feet under the bag...leg lifts...anything you can imagine for the last 15 minutes of the class. Before I go to bed at night, I try to do a little bit more to help the lower tummy area. It's hard:( And I am 44...my "babies" are 22 and 14. LOL. I can hardly blame it on the baby weight. But I am gonna do the best I can possibly do to minimize that area. Good luck to you!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that carrying extra weight in your midsection typically means that you are eating too many carbs and that those tend to get stored in your midsection. I was always a pear until about 5 years sgo. Since then, my stomach just kept growing and growing. I went to a holistic gal and she confirmed-I was eating too many carbs. I've had some success cutting back on carbs (especially wheat and sugar). My weight loss is only 7 lbs so far, but I've lost 3 inches in my tummy area this month.

The other biggie is to destress. When you are stressed, your cortisol levels are elevated, which encourages you to store fat-in your midsection.

Good luck!

That's not exactly right. People who are apple shaped and high hip hourglasses (spoons) like me, are going to carry their weight in their midsections no matter how many carbs they eat. I have a friend who eat like 300g of carbs & has abs....so yeah. So people don't react well to carbs or better yet, gluten. Which can cause bloat, but that has nothing to do with fat storage.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I accumulate in my midsection and otherwise i am very thin. it looks horrible i HATE IT :frown:

I've been working out since August, first mostly just steady cardio like walking & biking. 2 months ago i tried running but my joints didn't like it so the last month or so (right when i joined MFP to track my food intake) I switched to mostly cardio with/strength training videos. I do plyometric routines, 30DS (& several other Jillian videos), and some other HIIT/tabata routines that I found online that incorporate cardio with plank & core work. In fact with all the core work i've been doing I know I have some killer abs under that damn belly fat...shame you can't see them....

It's sloooowly getting better but sometimes I wonder if i will ever get rid of it all. I'd say when I started in August I was fat all around the middle, front & back. I managed to get it down to fat in the front only after a few months. The past few weeks the upper part of my abs show but the middle/lower part is still fat. At least I went from a mini-keg to a 2 pack, but of course I hope that will turn into a 4 pack & eventually a 6 pack....only time will tell.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    That's me! Even when I was down to my low weight (132-135) last summer I still had too much fat in my stomach area. My face looked so thin (too thin almost) and the rest of me was reasonably thin but with a gut still. The ONLY time I have had a flat stomach was when I didn't eat a single bite of food for 4 days straight. (Not a recommended way to lose the belly, lol)

Anyone can feel free to add me. I understand your frustrations!
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    For me my boobs and butt go first, then the rest starts to go! It will happen!
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    :explode: :grumble: Ill be starting 30DS soon, ive started it several times now.. I am just sooo sore in my legs that i cant move on to day 2... I AM DETERMINED! gah.
  • woahitsangie
    Options
  • kdb4321
    Options
    Wow, some inspirational photos here. I've always had trouble with my midsection. Even when at normal weight, my arms and legs can be quite thin, but I still have a bit of a belly.

I'll have to try some of the tips.
  • woahitsangie
    Options
    I have gone from 43.5in around my belly button to currently 35....have another 20lbs to lose, hoping that number will keep on dropping.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I dont think there are any specific ways to lose fat in one area. All I can say is do lots of cardio and ab exercises

no.

full body strength training is great for fat loss. if you want to do cardio, go for HIIT.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I carry in the belly as well. I've been at it for 8 months now and have dropped 28 lbs and 8 inches around the belly button. I have gone from a size 12 pants to a size 4, but even with that I need to wear a belt most days. I do have some pics in my profile.

I go to the gym 6 days a week right now (lifting every day with short cardio --20 min -- a few times a week) and aim for an 80/20 approach to eating where 80% is good, whole foods and the other 20% comes from processed foods I just won't give up.

It takes time and effort to lose the body fat. Be patient and strive to be mostly good about exercise and diet. Don't stress about not being perfect all the time. No one is and it is about the long term, not how you do each day or week even.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 43.5in around my belly button to currently 35....have another 20lbs to lose, hoping that number will keep on dropping.
    That is something to be ridiculously proud of!!! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!