what running sneakers?

Options
I have been reading about needing to get fit for good running sneakers...problem is that I don't really live near a place that specializes in running equipment. About the closest thing is a footlocker....not sure if that counts or not. If I have to rely on getting them myself, what should I look for? Any specific brands or styles that you like?

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I swear to the ends of the earth by Under Armour Spines. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned.

I wear these:

http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:180769/sku:33584045/under-armour-spine-rpm-mens/grey/light-green/
  • homefitnessextreme
    Options
    If you are new and don't know if you need stability, motion control, or cushioning shoes I would go minimalist. www.runblogger.com I use Altras.
  • jamesh87uk
    Options
    Go to a proper running shoe shop. We have them all over the place in London. If you don't get the right ones or they advise you wrong you can really hurt your knees/ankles.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A running store is your absolute best bet, but if that's not possible, this article might help:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    therea re lots of good branda. ****s has some good running shoes. i run in asics.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm sure this will spark some argument - but as a health care professional, I would encourage you to stay away from Under Armour and Nike Shocks. In my years working with collegiate, semi-pro, and professional athletes, the majority of shoe related physical problems (ranging from plantarfascitis and shin splints to low back pain) have been attributed to these shoes. Don't get me wrong, I love Under Armour sports bras more than most people - but have nothing good to say about their shoes.

I have had difficulty finding shoes that work for me (different sized feet combined with one foot being pes planus (flat arch) and one pes cavus (high arch)...long story - shoe store people hate me. Anyway - the majority of running shoes I go through are Asics and Saucony. I do love my vibrams though too!

However, I would encourage you to get fitted at a running specialty store - and no, FootLocker doesn't count!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    with a zip code, I can find you a decent store :)

Stay out of footlocker until you know what you need.

If you really do live somewhere where you can't get to a shoe store at all, look at the bottom of an old pair of shoes, and google "pronation". You can discover if you pronate or not, and in what direction, then try to get shoes that allow for that. Whatever you get, make sure it doesn't have too big a heel-toe drop ( birthdayshoes.com records a lot of them, even for pronators).

But I bet with your zip I can find you one.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I currently use the Nike LunarEclipse shoe. My next shoe will be the Nike Structure Triax, for more stability. I am still research if I want the new version (16), or last year's model - if I can find it.

It is very important to find out if you pronate, or have any other specialty issues that require a certain type of shoe.

If you don't have a running specialty store, get a referral to a podiatrist. They can tell you what your needs are, too.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* my Brooks. Were they cheap? Not really. I've had many types of other sneakers and these are the only sneakers that don't hurt my feet when I run. I would recommend getting fitted even if you have to drive a little bit to get it done. Once you find that perfect sneaker, you can pretty much get them anywhere.
  • RonandDi
    Options

If you really do live somewhere where you can't get to a shoe store at all, look at the bottom of an old pair of shoes, and google "pronation". You can discover if you pronate or not, and in what direction, then try to get shoes that allow for that. Whatever you get, make sure it doesn't have too big a heel-toe drop ( birthdayshoes.com records a lot of them, even for pronators).

16838 have at it. :)

I was reading about pronate....looks like my shoes are worn on the outside.
  • ookblah
    Options
    i have relatively flat feet, over-pronate and wore big motion control shoes for years until i had a bad ankle sprain running. after recovering i switched to minimalist (NB minimus line, zero drop) shoes and while's it's taking longer to ramp up the miles it does strengthen my ankles and improve my form. kind of counter-intuitive but when you think about it makes sense. having a lot of padding/structure on shoes tends to make your muscles/joints weaker because they don't have to absorb the shock. i would try minimal unless you have some serious medical issues with your knees/ankles.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i second brooks - love them! got fitted for my first pair (paid $140 for them) bought my second pair (exact same as the first) on amazon for $45. i used to run in new balance thought they were AWESOME until i bought my brooks. won't go back.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

I was reading about pronate....looks like my shoes are worn on the outside.

curiosity got the best of me - you have the gingerbreadman running company in indiana. it's an hour away. i drove an hour to get my shoes.
  • RonandDi
    Options
    thanks...I'll give them a look.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    brooks ravenna is my shoe of choice!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options

hmm... I know GingerbreadMan Running Company personally is awesome (I'm east of Pgh), that's over in Indiana, which could be a haul if you don't have other plans to be there. BUT they are very cool, and it's a local business, not a chain.

Just south of Allentown (Holidaysburg) is Fox Trot Runners, which looks similar and offers a gait analysis, if that's more convenient.

In Ebensburg there's a running club, you might shoot them an email and ask where they would send you for a gait analysis.

There's also a place in Clearfield, Joyner Sports Medicine, they might be able to do a gait analysis, though their web site doesn't hold out much hope (it looks like mostly PT and rehab stuff, but there might be someone there who gets it).

I know personally, as a city girl, something that is 20 miles away is a haul I'd think twice about... But I also have family who live out in the boonies and they think nothing of heading that far to get places. So I don't know if all of those places are beyond your reach, or that's where you head for groceries. But if you're planning a trip to any of those towns, it really is worth a stop in the store (GingerbreadMan or Fox Trot). It won't take that long, and you'll learn a lot.

Good luck!!
  • linddavis
    linddavis Posts: 101
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis and never thought I would run again. Until I got properly fitted for shoes. Turns out I have extremely flat feet.
    Get your feet wet then stand on concrete of colored paper. Look at your foot print. If your whole foot is "pictured" you also have flat feet. If your toes show and your heel.. you have a high arch. Then there is everything in between.
    I had to buy a Saucony neutral shoe...then bought Super Feet orthotics ( $40). I just finished my first Half Marathon in Jan.
    NO foot pain. You need to buy new shoes/orthotics if you are walking/running a lot, I go thru 3-4 pr. a year min.
    My knee pain also went away when I got decent shoes. Never again will I buy sale gym shoes, not worth it!!
    Good Luck.
  • RonandDi
    Options
    Thanks. Yea, we travel at least 20 miles just to get groceries, so Indiana is't "that" far. Although, my daughter is an athletic trainer at Penn State and I had her ask the trainer for the track team and there is a place over there that has a good reputation for runners. Looks like I may be in luck. Now I just have to convince myself that sneakers are worth $100+. I have never paid that much for shoes.
  • missymc16
    missymc16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes that are a good fit, are totally worth the money. They can save you so much pain and frustration, compared to a pair of sneakers.