Jump rope burns more calories than any other exercise

Options

Replies

• StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    and also depends on how fast u jump rope.........
    this workout had changed my life in just a week..

i like it too... being that i had never jumped rope in my life, it took me a couple of sessions to get it... i still can't do it perfect every time, but the other day i made it to 50 jumps in a row a few times... started to hurt my legs a little bit though.

i do the "girly jump" off of two feet. i was trying to do the "skipping/running" but i just couldnt get it. and i tried picking up the speed but that was too hard as well... i guess i should perfect what i'm doing now before making it harder.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    Spency, Really strange that you posted this because I was just thinking about jump roping!!! when I started back 4 months ago I picked up a jump rrope and i literally could not even jump let alone get over the rope!!lol Anyway, since then, I've tried a few times but hadn't done it in a while until last week. I picked it up thinking mabye this time I'll get over the rope and i did!! I use to love doing this as a kid, and your right, its a lot more fun!1 I'm gonna try it to music tomorrow and see just how well I can do. I actually use to be really good at double jumping. all my neices and nephews do it a lot in the summer, wouldn't they just crap if I got in on it with them!! Thanks for the info on it!!!!!
  • Spensy
    Spensy Posts: 13
    Options
    and also depends on how fast u jump rope.........
    this workout had changed my life in just a week..

i like it too... being that i had never jumped rope in my life, it took me a couple of sessions to get it... i still can't do it perfect every time, but the other day i made it to 50 jumps in a row a few times... started to hurt my legs a little bit though.

i do the "girly jump" off of two feet. i was trying to do the "skipping/running" but i just couldnt get it. and i tried picking up the speed but that was too hard as well... i guess i should perfect what i'm doing now before making it harder.
    just dont give up jump rope is fun but its not that easy it takes a lot of time to build rythm and speed plus if you are trying to do advanced techniques like back crosses, triple unders, Quadriples and quinntriples etc
    this is wat i did when i got frustrated of trying
    i just said to myself 1nce more then again 1nce more if i failed
    now i did it although im not good at it as you did like 50 jumps in a row but i know that ill become a good jump roper
  • Spensy
    Spensy Posts: 13
    Options
    yeah and it also helps in building your core, forearms, calves and little bit of deltoids...
  • andreipop
    andreipop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have no doubt that this is a good workout but could you be more specific with the speed?
    What is slow in terms of jumps per minute, what is moderate and what is fast?
    Thanks!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Someone find me a bra that will bind my chest so I don't blacken my eyes and I'm there :wink: :laugh:

I just pile on two sports bras. (As if ONE wasn't unflattering enough.) It does seem to keep things in place.

In g neral I wear my best supporting bra and a sports bra while working out : ) keeps em under control!
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ah, I just started jumping rope. Its hard! My right leg always jumps before my left! I cannot seem to get my left leg to get with the program, then I end up almost ****ing myself and falling face first. Practice makes perfect.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    Thats a big fat lie, kettlebell burns way more. 20 calories per minute , plus its both cardio and strength training.there's really no beating that...ever.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Cool, I haven't jumped rope since I was a kid. I am guessing I can pick them up fairly cheaply so will grab one.

I am building up my jogging on a week day but on a weekend wanted to do a mix of strength training with a few minutes of cardio intervals so maybe I can use the rope for that.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thats a big fat lie, kettlebell burns a million times more. 20 calories per minute beat that.

Both kettlebells and jump ropes are great. I use both. Although a good burn rate is important of course, it's also about variety, I have jump ropes as part of my routine along with kettlebells.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    Thats a big fat lie, kettlebell burns a million times more. 20 calories per minute beat that.

Both kettlebells and jump ropes are great. I use both. Although a good burn rate is important of course, it's also about variety, I have jump ropes as part of my routine along with kettlebells.

True enough mate.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I do 100 skips every time i go for a pee..And i drink 2 litres of water during work in a cold warehouse...So i probably do anything between 800-1000 skips a day...And yeah they kill me..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was thinking about this jump roping thing this am while running and I came home and did a little calorie burning research. First off, both get heart rate going so that is great. Jumping rope does not train the body as overall as running or even walking does unless you are training like a boxer or professional athelete and using many movements to do the jumping (ie, one leg to the other double jumping etc).

Please visit healthstatus.com and look at the calories burned estimator. You can put in your weight and the exercise done and it will give you a great estimate for calories burned. I did this today and here are the results

One hour each activity:
    Jumping rope 1108 calories
    Running 5mph 933
    running 6mph 1108
    running 7mph 1268
    running 8mph 1487
    running 10mph 1982
    running 12 mph 2464

Obviously, it depends on how fast you are running but if you have trained and you are running at more than 6 mph then keep running, and if you can't run for 6 mph then you are probably not jumping rope at a speed that would burn 1200 calories in an hour because you most likely don't have the stamina to do it at the level a professional athelete would. But if you want JUMP until your heart is content if that keeps you moving.

Who here is running 12mph? Or 10? Actually the turning of the rope works your upper body much more than the swinging of arms during running. I agree that it takes an incredible amount of fitness to try to jump for an hour but I've never seen that duration recommended. Usually 20 mins is sufficient. I'd suggest jumping faster over jumping longer anyway.
  • caba7
    caba7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I didn't even think of jump roping. I think i will have to buy one on my next errand out :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started The Asylum workout this past week and the warm-up for a couple videos is jump rope activities (one leg, squats, double-jumps, etc.). I don't remember jumping rope being so tiring when I was a kid LOL It's fun though and definitely increases my heart rate and gets my muscles warmed-up.
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump cuz i wanna read this later!
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    I'd love to jump rope more, I find it easy and fun. But, the pain in my calves for the next 3 days so too much to bear. Even 5-10 minutes of jumping leaves me hurting for days.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    In July I took 4-5 jump-rope classes, where we alternated between 2min jumping sessions and either free weights or stretching. It was a great workout, and with some practice of the different steps, it bacame an enjoyable "burn."

I've now incorporated it into my circuit training days to keep the heart rate up, in between upper body reps. It really keeps me on my toes, and I feel more agile.

Note to the other ladies -- Yes, strap the girls down, and only jump rope with an empty bladder. Have fun!
  • bubmaster
    Options
    can't jump :( but i will get there :)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use a skipping rope t exercise, I can jump rope indoors when it rains or outside on the patio. My daughter does it with me (she's 10!) I do 5 minutes at a time which really makes me sweat! If I do it first thing in the morning then have 40 minutes power walk it seems to work for me.
    It's also very cheap!