Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is KILLER!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Someone find me a bra that will bind my chest so I don't blacken my eyes and I'm there :wink: :laugh:
    Step 1) cram the girls into an underwire bra 1 size too small
    Step 2) slap a proper fitting sports bra on top
    Step 3) wrap it all up with a tensor bandage

I'm only half kidding. The too small bra bit helped me before I shrank back to a D-cup.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm liking to do jump rope intervals with abs. So far this week I've done this superset twice:

50-75 jump rope hops
    25 reps of an ab move

12 of these supersets, a different ab move each time.

It's a nice half hour calorie torch!
  • Leslie4834
    Leslie4834 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is so true :wink:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope but how in hell is it a sport?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Sorry my mistake 10 mins of jump rope is equivalent to 30 mins of jogging.....
    thanks for noticing

WHAT?! Seriously? I am so ditching the treadmill tomorrow and testing this out
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy jumping rope but let's be honest here.. better than any other workout?? Let's do the math.

10 min jog at 10 min/mi pace = 168 calories. 10 min jumping rope at moderate pace = 168 calories
    10 min jog at 7 min/mi pace = 235 calories. 10 min jumping rope at fast pace = 201 calories.

You can argue that fast pace may be more in line with 7.5 min mile..some argue it would be faster than 7 min/mi, either way, jumping rope is a good exercise. Just not as good as what has been stated compared to other options.

I don't doubt your numbers but I do question the practicality. I can't run 7 mph, but I can jump rope at an 160 turns per minute for 36 mins. Furthermore running hurts my knees, achilles and has a detrimental effect on my lifting strength. Fast rope lowers my max bench a because of the extra wear on my shoulders, but other than that leaves me strong.

Everyone is different of course, and won't have the same old man issues I have with running, but there's a lot of people that can't run 7mph for 10 mins but could jump for 10 mins at a reasonably fast pace.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options

2, Burns fat faster than any other workout on this planet(thats why boxers and athletes use this workout to train themselves for competetion).
    3, 10 mins of jump rope at moderate speed is equivalent to 10 mins jogging/runing

Points 2 and 3 contradict each other...??

edit - you already corrected yourself, sorry!! :-)
  • DavPul
    Options
    As someone that has spent his entire career in sales, I'm fairly sure rope skipping gets the short end of the stick because there's no money to be made. I could make $100k a year selling your expensive ellipticals, treadmills, gym memberships or personal training. Those things costs lots of money and have fat commissions.

An awesome rope cost $20. If I sold 200,000 ropes a year I'd be lucky to make $35k. Running, which is also free, still has an entire industry built around. Nike was built around selling shoes to runners. Runners World magazine has page after page of glossy ads selling something or other. Jumpers World Monthly would be a pamphlet with 3 ads for ropes, 1 for a jumping pad, and nothing else. The entire issue would be two HIIT routines and some tips on avoiding shin splints or sore heels. There would be no reason to print JWM Issue #2. No money to be made means no promotion.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    thanks for noticing

BEWARE- as a pretty seasoned runner, jumping is still KILLER. I made the mistake of going right to 30 mins of jumping and ended up with 3+ days of wicked calf DOMS. I can run for 2 hrs at a time (but not at a 7 min pace!), but those 30 mins left me crippled!
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was thinking about this jump roping thing this am while running and I came home and did a little calorie burning research. First off, both get heart rate going so that is great. Jumping rope does not train the body as overall as running or even walking does unless you are training like a boxer or professional athelete and using many movements to do the jumping (ie, one leg to the other double jumping etc).

Please visit healthstatus.com and look at the calories burned estimator. You can put in your weight and the exercise done and it will give you a great estimate for calories burned. I did this today and here are the results

One hour each activity:
    Jumping rope 1108 calories
    Running 5mph 933
    running 6mph 1108
    running 7mph 1268
    running 8mph 1487
    running 10mph 1982
    running 12 mph 2464

Obviously, it depends on how fast you are running but if you have trained and you are running at more than 6 mph then keep running, and if you can't run for 6 mph then you are probably not jumping rope at a speed that would burn 1200 calories in an hour because you most likely don't have the stamina to do it at the level a professional athelete would. But if you want JUMP until your heart is content if that keeps you moving.

thats a very handy website
  • DavPul
    Options
    thanks for noticing

BEWARE- as a pretty seasoned runner, jumping is still KILLER. I made the mistake of going right to 30 mins of jumping and ended up with 3+ days of wicked calf DOMS. I can run for 2 hrs at a time (but not at a 7 min pace!), but those 30 mins left me crippled!

Bean, I'm sure you wear your HRM when you jump. You know my feeling on HRMs, but this should give us a pretty decent comparison. What does your HRM give as a burn rate for your jumping compared to your running?
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I'm definitely getting myself a jump rope, great way to burn calories while killing some time!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely won't be jumping for 30mins. No way. Just 10 and then I can shorten my treadmill time. Can't wait for the little guy to be able to go on runs so I can ditch the treadmill altogether
    thanks for noticing

• robot_monerz
    Options
    Ahh! I'm so glad I came across this thread! I'm trying to get ideas for working out in my home next month. I'm moving to an extremely remote community in northern Canada. I won't have the gym, or my bike with me!

This should be awesome!
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My new speed rope rocks... Been able to string double unders together finally. Just hurts like hell when I miss and whip myself.
    Averaging at about 30 strung together and I'm out of breath by the end of it. I make a game of it - try to beat my last score before tripping myself up. Maxed at 49 - bummed I didn't hit 50. But that's my new goal. Haven't beat it yet.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Please visit healthstatus.com and look at the calories burned estimator. You can put in your weight and the exercise done and it will give you a great estimate for calories burned. I did this today and here are the results

One hour each activity:
    Jumping rope 1108 calories
    Running 5mph 933
    running 6mph 1108

That seems weird to me. I can run for over an hour at 6mph without a break, but jumping rope for 10 minutes is the absolute maximum I can manage.. and even then, I need to pause for a few seconds after 5 minutes.

My husband says I look as though I jump higher than I need to, but I just trip over the rope if I try smaller jumps.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    jump rope... why does this name make me smile??
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Completely agreed! It's a great way to train endurance, coordination, strenhgt. And at last it's fun. :)
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've always loved it and have been good at it but living in a tiny apartment - it's impossible to do it with a rope so I jump without one. :)))