Triathlon

Options
I was wondering if there is anyone else training for a triathlon as part of their weight loss plan? I would love to hear your training schedule, when you plan to race, distance, and all around support!

This will be my 15th triathlon but first since having my third daughter. My triathlon is June 23rd and I am both excited and nervous! It is a Swim 1000 Yards, Bike 19 Miles, Run 4 Miles....so a little more than a sprint but not an Olympic. I may try and get an Olympic in this summer too!

Replies

• emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just started down the training path myself. Into my 2nd week dedicated to the Couch to Sprint training plan from beginnertriathlete.com. I'm registered for a sprint distance tri in April, but considering a time based indoor one in early March just to get a gauge on my performance. The sprint I'm doing is 300m swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run. I'm planning on doing more sprints this spring/summer, and hoping to get up to olympic distance by fall. For me swimming is by far where I need the most work.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    Great to meet you! I love triathlons and have competed in both Olympic and sprint distances. My husband and I were bitten by the triathlon bug back in high school but took a break for about 4 years. We did 3 the year before last and I am so excited about this season!
    Swimming is my strongest leg! Biking is my weak leg and I need time to ride my bike and not the stationary ones at the gym.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My husband I are doing our first sprint tri Feb 23rd. It is a reverse. 5k run, 13 mile ride, 200meter swim in an olympic size pool. I am very excited. Swimming is my weakest. I've been watching videos on youtube and had a critique, but we are going to go for a few lessons before the race. Running is my comfort zone because I did cross country and track in high school. Cycling I am comfortable in as well. My husband and I have been riding 15-25 mile rides for about a year now. I found a training plan online but have really been just trying to do each activity 1-2 times a week. Will add some bricks next week. Any advice you have would be very much appreciated!
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    Feb 23...coming up fast! So exciting!!!

For my first triathlon I forgot my running shoes...yeah that is BAD! I borrowed a pair of shoes from a girl that was watching her parents race. My advice is to get everything together the night before. Also I highly recommend gu gel to keep your energy up.

I love the idea of a reverse triathlon! I have never done them before!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm planning a tri as cross training (I'm a runner) late this summer. I won't start training until after marathon recovery, but I'm trying to get in a bike and a swim a week in before then so I don't drown or crash. My goal for the Tri is simple - not black out or require resuscitation at any point during the race (I'm petrified of the swim, though I picked one that staggers the start).

After the tri I've got a hard ramp up to a second marathon for the year. So the tri is really to maintain a base of activity without burning out. We'll see.

I'm also using the couch-to-sprint program from beginnertriathlete.com, but again won't start until summer.

Question though - what do you wear? I'm debating just starting off in a swimsuit with a sports bra under it and unpadded bike shorts over it for the whole thing, rather than dealing with a tri suit or any clothing changes. Is this a horrible idea? I'm not confident I want to spring for a tri suit, at least not before my first one, but changing clothing in the comfort of my own home without the stress of competition is difficult enough. Guidance?
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first OWS triathlon and my first olympic distance on June 8. I'm trying to get over my second bad cold of the month (!) so I can get into training. My "plan" is something like this:

Monday: AM swim, lunchtime weights
    Tuesday: lunchtime run
    Wednesday: AM Swim, lunchtime ride
    Thursday: AM run, Lunchtime ride
    Friday: AM swim
    Saturday: Long ride with short brick run
    Sunday: Off.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have recently started training for my first triathlon, along with a half marathon along the way. The HM is in early June, and I have signed up for a sprint triathlon in July.

As a person who has done multiple marathons, what do you think about jumping from sprint to Olympic distance? Is it a large jump? Would it be possible to do a sprint in early July, and be able to train for an Olympic in late sept?

I bike and swim twice a week, and run 3-4 times per week at the moment.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options

Question though - what do you wear? I'm debating just starting off in a swimsuit with a sports bra under it and unpadded bike shorts over it for the whole thing, rather than dealing with a tri suit or any clothing changes. Is this a horrible idea? I'm not confident I want to spring for a tri suit, at least not before my first one, but changing clothing in the comfort of my own home without the stress of competition is difficult enough. Guidance?

My first couple tri I would wear my swimsuit, and a pair of shorts (at that time I didn't need the extra bra support and it was a short bike so not too bad). Then I bought a tri suit and LOVED it! Then I took a break between my two oldest children and gained weight so that tri suit didn't fit. So two seasons ago I went back to sports bra, swim suit, and bike shorts. It worked just fine but be aware that the bike shorts will fill with water during the swim (did this twice and made that mistake the first time) so you may want to put them on after the swim...adds a little bit of time but.... The second time I bought a tri bottom which was fine for swimming and biking after.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    As a person who has done multiple marathons, what do you think about jumping from sprint to Olympic distance? Is it a large jump? Would it be possible to do a sprint in early July, and be able to train for an Olympic in late sept?

I have never done a marathon but I do know I prefer the Olympic distance over the sprint because I am naturally an endurance individual. My husband is the opposite and loves anything sprint, getting him to do more than a 5K is like pulling teeth :laugh:

I think you maybe like me and enjoy the distance. I am starting with a sprint to get back into the game. I suggest starting with sprint because it is very different from a running race and a tri sprint helps you to learn a pace of a triathlon. Also normally an Olympic tri is a lot more competitive. I think an Olympic in September is a great idea!
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    Monday: AM swim, lunchtime weights
    Tuesday: lunchtime run
    Wednesday: AM Swim, lunchtime ride
    Thursday: AM run, Lunchtime ride
    Friday: AM swim
    Saturday: Long ride with short brick run
    Sunday: Off.

Looks like a great break down! I love swimming and wish I had better access to an indoor pool
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    After 13 yrs off and increase of lbs to go along with it - did my first Long Distance and Half-Ironman last summer after that much time.

It is a bear trying to train right at a deficit, and if you aren't eating enough, you easily risk burning off muscle you'd rather keep.

Even with that, you'll likely run yourself into the ground as far as possible performance. Take an exercise break every 6 wks with only walking during the workout time.

If you are doing the MFP method of exercise eat back, confirm your HRM is tweaked dead-on to be as accurate as possible for calorie burns.
    If using the TDEE deficit method, eatback anything over 1 hr of a training session in a day.

If long late training, be willing to finish eating some of those calories the next morning.

The after training snack of Carb: Prot ratio 4:1 (Clif Bar!) works great for starting the carb reload you need.

And make your loss goal 1 lb weekly if doing MFP method, 1/2 lb if within 15 lbs of goal. Lightly Active for non-exercise level.

Keep intervals if done at 20% of your weekly time it total.

Just the tweaks I needed to make once I found I burned off about 1.5 lbs of LBM over several weeks. Stupid raining day Spin classes. Oh wait, my fault actually.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For my first triathlon I forgot my running shoes...yeah that is BAD! I borrowed a pair of shoes from a girl that was watching her parents race. My advice is to get everything together the night before. Also I highly recommend gu gel to keep your energy up.

Yeah, gotta watch the stupid mistakes. I once forgot where my bike was racked (10 minute transition time between swim/bike) and once rode off on the bike without my helmet and had to go back and get it or I would have been disqualified.

I got hooked on sprint triathlons at age 55. Typically they’re 1/3 mile swim, 9 miles on the bike and a 3K, but I’ve also done .5 miles/12 miles/5K. I’d say the latter is my limit; I like to feel like I’ve had a good workout but not like I’m gonna die.
    I start in a swimsuit, then throw on shorts and a shirt when I get out of the water.

Triathlons are the reason I kicked up my workouts a notch- I got a little paranoid after I signed up about not being in shape, and the extra workouts have paid off in better fitness year-round. I work full-time and I’m not built for speed so I never come in first- but I’m just grateful and proud to finish at this age! (My next one will be in June, when I’ll be 60.)
  • heybales
    Options
    I have recently started training for my first triathlon, along with a half marathon along the way. The HM is in early June, and I have signed up for a sprint triathlon in July.

That's plenty of time to train for extra distance, just keep one session of everything short and recovery level training the aerobic system, making the other one longer and longer, also at aerobic since again, training the fat burning system.

I'd suggest you do only 3 runs a week, and make one of them hill sprints, like intervals, with easy or rest day after. That will benefit running and biking.

Remember the body improvement only comes with rest from the effort. And if you are eating at deficit too, makes it that much riskier and harder.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options

The after training snack of Carb: Prot ratio 4:1 (Clif Bar!) works great for starting the carb reload you need.

Great information!! Thank you for sharing! I was wondering if you could recommend a good post workout snack for me? I am allergic to ALL nuts and peanuts so that cuts out a lot of clif bars and such! I have been eating greek yogurt and honey but that gets old real quick.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    [/quote]

Triathlons are the reason I kicked up my workouts a notch- I got a little paranoid after I signed up about not being in shape, and the extra workouts have paid off in better fitness year-round. I work full-time and I’m not built for speed so I never come in first- but I’m just grateful and proud to finish at this age! (My next one will be in June, when I’ll be 60.)
    [/quote]

Great job!! You are an inspiration!
  • heybales
    Options

Great information!! Thank you for sharing! I was wondering if you could recommend a good post workout snack for me? I am allergic to ALL nuts and peanuts so that cuts out a lot of clif bars and such! I have been eating greek yogurt and honey but that gets old real quick.

2% Chocolate Milk, next best thing.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options

I use granola (home made) with milk (or milk substitute). Also just found a recipe for popcorn bars I'm going to try, they call for almonds but you could skip them likely http://in-motionathletics.com/?p=272
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options

2% Chocolate Milk, next best thing.

Thanks! I'll try that next week!
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options

I use granola (home made) with milk (or milk substitute). Also just found a recipe for popcorn bars I'm going to try, they call for almonds but you could skip them likely http://in-motionathletics.com/?p=272

Those look VERY yummy!! What is your granola recipe?