Olive Oil Success

Options
Hey all...

Yesterday morning I got on the scale and I weighed 195 exactly. No weight loss this month despite my workout and diet efforts. I also read yesterday that olive oil can help you lose weight so I had two tablespoons with a piece of wheat bread last night before going to bed. When I woke up this morning, I weighted 193.6... I couldn't believe it!!! FINALLY after 30 DAYS I have LOST WEIGHT!!!!

Has anyone else had success with olive oil???

Replies

• WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss howver, olive oil did not cause you to loose weight. Eating a calorie deficit and excercise did.
    Sorry to burst your bubble.
    You are only a month in though, keep it up and don't get discouraged.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You seriously believe that you swallowed 2 tbsps of oil last night and it melted off weight by morning?
  • hayz182
    hayz182 Posts: 31
    Options
    Um no I do not believe the olive oil melted off the fat. I read that it helps with digestion and metabolism. I'm not saying that olive oil is a good replacement for exercise or diet...in fact I exercise 30-60 minutes a day along with 12-1400 calories. After having my kids and having post-partum thyroid problems that affect my metabolism nothing has seemed to work. My endocrinologist suggested diet and exercise (of course) but it has not worked. Using natural antioxidant rich foods that are also full of monounsaturated fats seem to be key in people with this type of issue, and I'm definitely going to give it a try.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss however, like other posters have pointed out... the olive oil didn't cause you to lose weight. I would imagine it was just a coincidence that you lost weight the morning after eating some poil.

Olive oil (and any food that that matter) doesn't increase your metabolism. Your metabolism is based on thyroid function, genetics and lean muscle mass.

Oil and any healthy fats for that matter are part of a good diet and are required by the body.
  • hayz182
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss however, like other posters have pointed out... the olive oil didn't cause you to lose weight. I would imagine it was just a coincidence that you lost weight the morning after eating some poil.

Olive oil (and any food that that matter) doesn't increase your metabolism. Your metabolism is based on thyroid function, genetics and lean muscle mass.

Oil and any healthy fats for that matter are part of a good diet and are required by the body.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502573-does-olive-oil-speed-up-metabolism/
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

That article is an opinion... not real proof. Lean muscle mass is what will increase metabolism... increase muscle and your metabolism increase.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll note it was a study on rats and the word MIGHT pops up quite often?

Fat Oxidation

Olive oil might increase fat oxidation, or fat-burning, which increases your metabolism, according to an animal study performed by researchers at Sao Paulo State University in Brazil. They discovered that rats fed a diet in olive oil had higher rates of fat oxidation and energy expenditure compared with rats without olive oil. The findings were reported in the October 2010 issue of "Nutrition Journal."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/502573-does-olive-oil-speed-up-metabolism/#ixzz2JUfzj864
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I do notice that when I eat fish for dinner, I always see the scale move (even a little bit) the next day. So, I can believe it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Post-Hoc.jpg
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

A table spoon of olive oil contains 120 calories, about six percent of total calories in a 2000/ day diet. Do you think that a tablespoon of olive oil caused your metabolism to increase more than 6 percent overnight? To loose the 1.5 lbs you lost
    as fat you would need a calorie deficit of 5250 Kcals. Not very plausible. More likely the effect of the olive oil was laxative rather than metabolic

Now if you were to substitute a table spoon of oil for 120 calories of food that you are currently eating over a period of time (probably a few months) and you lost significant weight you might contribute to validating that study
  • hayz182
    Options
    You all can call me stupid, ignorant, or whatever, I don't really care. I am trying this concept, which is not unhealthy by any means, and I am PRAYING it works, this weight is making my life miserable. LIKE OMG OLIVE OIL MELTED MY FAT OFF OVERNIGHT, no wasn't saying that at all...but I am sooo happy that I finally lost A POUND after increasing my monounsaturated fat.. A POUND is progress...and I am EXCITED that I might see the scale move in the right direction from here on out. Thanks everyone for your KIND words, LOL!
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options

From that article:

Caution
    Olive oil seems to be effective for increasing your metabolism when combined with a calorie-reduced diet. Keep in mind that olive oil has a lot of fat and calories, and it should be used in moderation to receive its metabolism-boosting benefits.

I encourage you to read all of the sentences there and then interpret the article more appropriately.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Post-Hoc.jpg

Me too! I knew I couldn't be the only one!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    IMO Keep the olive oil, ditch the bread
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It probably helped with the poopsies.

I once poopsied 5 lbs after a 12 pack from taco bell. No olive oil.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    It probably helped with the poopsies.

I once poopsied 5 lbs after a 12 pack from taco bell. No olive oil.

LOL ! this nearly made me spray my overnight oats over the moniter.... and no that isn't code for anything
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was once like you- in search of the "quick fix". It doesn't exist.
    You will end up being frustrated and discouraged.
    It wasn't until I finally figured out what my body needs to maintain my weight and what I need to exercise to lose weight.
    Please read this to help figure out what is best for you-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Just don't get discouraged tomorrow when you step on the scale and your up a pound.
  • hayz182
    Options
    Yes, you are right, it does have a high fat content and quite a bit of calories, but I'm not chugging the bottle.

2 tablespoons of it per day are recommended for heart health, antioxidant, and many other benefits, and that's what I'm going to stick to along with my healthy diet.

I'm going to start finding uses for it in salads and whole wheat pastas. Last night, I have to say, it was a bit much at one time LOL but I was so happy the scale has moved DOWN instead of UP.
  • hayz182
    Options
    It's like high school all over again on here! I love it! You all are so encouraging and hateful at the same time.