Free weights vs weight machines

124»

Replies

• TamaBrett
    TamaBrett Posts: 22 Member
    This is known in statistics as "the magic single sample". The great thing about the magic single sample is you can find one to prove anything. Science on the other hand collects samples of data. And of course you have no idea what damage has been done or might be done to your back.

The "magic single sample"? Perhaps you mean "outlier"?

No, I don't mean outlier. An outlier is is one observation out of a sample with many members. Perhaps the term "magic sample of one" is easier to understand.

This fear of injury from using free weights is often just an excuse. I quit making excuses.

Again, I didn't say "injury". Damage is not just injury from accidents or bad form. The lower ability to heal after injury is a serious concern, but more important is tissue denigration especially connective tissue. The wikipedia entry on senescence would be a good start for you.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    TamaBrett, you need to read everyone's posts. Anecdotal evidence, expert advice, and studies all say you're wrong.
    Have you got even a single study that supports your fears?

If you don't want to do the big lifts, then you don't have to. But please allow others to make a decision based on actual experience and evidence, not fear.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    in short, weight machines target specific muscles and areas while free weights work in more of a group dynamic.

whe yusing free weights you have to balance the weight whereas with the machines it is done for you.

Neither is good or bad, just a matter of preference really. I use both everyday and like them both equally.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I like what free weights have done for my butt.

IMG_3558-copy.jpg

When I was using machines, I was doing the leg press, leg extension, leg curl, calf extension, glute press, and probably a few others for my legs and butt.

Now I do squats and deadlifts. So much more time effective.

Of course, being that I'm over 40, I suppose I should use that time crocheting myself a nice little lap blanket for my rocking chair. :ohwell:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    A lot of the exercises above are not appropriate. Anyone over 40yr needs to be careful about back and shoulders. You should not be doing exercises such as squats, deadlifts and military press, especially if you don't have a history of doing these exercises.

I didn't start doing squats, dead lifts and presses until I was in my 40s.
    I've been instructed on proper form and technique.
    Your point?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Ever see a guy who squats 280 on a smith machine try to squat 280 with a barbell for the first time....yikes.....
  • jimmie65

IMG_3558-copy.jpg

When I was using machines, I was doing the leg press, leg extension, leg curl, calf extension, glute press, and probably a few others for my legs and butt.

Of course, being that I'm over 40, I suppose I should use that time crocheting myself a nice little lap blanket for my rocking chair. :ohwell:

I like what they've done for your butt as well.
    Of course, you realize that you are a "magic sample of one", right?
    Another "magic sample of one"!

I'm counting about 6 of us "magic samples of one". Maybe that should be "magic sample of six"?
    Of course, we are vastly outnumbered by the guys and gals over 40 who tried squats, deadlifts, and presses, and seriously injured (sorry, "damaged") themselves. I count at least ... um, zero? Anyone?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member

IMG_3558-copy.jpg

I like what they've done for your butt as well.
    Of course, you realize that you are a "magic sample of one", right?
    Another "magic sample of one"!

I'm counting about 6 of us "magic samples of one". Maybe that should be "magic sample of six"?
    Of course, we are vastly outnumbered by the guys and gals over 40 who tried squats, deadlifts, and presses, and seriously injured (sorry, "damaged") themselves. I count at least ... um, zero? Anyone?

Well, they're probably invalids and are too seriously maimed to even type...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Ever see a guy who squats 280 on a smith machine try to squat 280 with a barbell for the first time....yikes.....

I've seen guys who can leg press well over 600 nearly tip right over on their faces with 225 on their shoulders in the rack. Just goes to show that all training is not equal...or even remotely close. There's a reason that there's no such event as "The Leg Press" in any strength sport.
  • jimmie65
    This is known in statistics as "the magic single sample". The great thing about the magic single sample is you can find one to prove anything.
    No, I don't mean outlier. An outlier is is one observation out of a sample with many members. Perhaps the term "magic sample of one" is easier to understand.

These terms were bugging me, since my statistics is a little rusty (been out of project management/quality control for a while now and haven't studied statistics for research since college) and I was wondering if I just forgot something . So I googled both of them. And the only hit was your post. In other words, neither term is "known in statistics" or known anywhere else but your imagination.
    So far, you've created physiology studies that show over-40s shouldn't lift and made up statistics terms. Anything else we should know to more fully evaluate any of your claims?
  • jimmie65
    I'm sorry, but if a 285 deadlift throws someone's back, regardless of being over 40, there is another problem there that had little to do with the weight. There are midgets who can deadlift that much...and a one legged woman who can deadlift very close to that.

Hey, I just saw this. I'm a little insulted.

Ok, maybe not. My deadlift sucks and is way behind my squat for some reason. Might be just a mental thing or could be in my grip. But it's definitely not in my back.