Kale eaters... How do you eat it?

Options
Hi So it was recommended to me that i should start eating some kale. i bought some and have it in my fridge right now. I'm planning on making something with it tonight.... I just don't know what is the best way to eat it. I've never had it before....

Whats your favorite way of eating kale?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Saute it with, lemon, garlic and olive oil.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with onions, bacon grease, a touch of brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard.
  • weldergirl15
    weldergirl15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Portuguese soup! (Kale soup) mmmmmmmm! Now I want some lol!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Many say kale chips, sprinkled with evoo and sea salt. I did not have much luck when I tried them but I don't think they were dry enough and it took a long time for them to "chip". The few that turned out were awesome. Lots of recipes/information on the internet on how to do it. . . .:wink:
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, or roasted with other veggies (I like kale, parsnips and carrots).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It can be very bitter if uncooked. However, I did see somewhere on the internet that if you essentially massage it with a flavored oil, it can also be tasty (I've not been brave enough to try it that way).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with butter, red wine vinegar, onion. Sun dried tomatoes are good too. I like to add some baby kale to my green smoothies in the summer, too.
  • Jaulen
    Options
    Portuguese soup! (Kale soup) mmmmmmmm! Now I want some lol!

Mmmmm....

So many soups kale can go in....

We made the lentil and beef roasted garlic soup from this month's bon appetit, had kale, lentils, yams, and flank steak in it.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    if in a salad, with feta or bleu cheese (or gargonzola (spelling?) ), dried cranberries, pine nuts
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Baby kale is good in a salad.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    3 fave ways:

1- add to my green smoothie
    2- saute as several mentioned although I forgo the bacon ; )
    3- salad: cut into strips, massage with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice --- actually massage with your hands to break the cell walls down, becomes quite tender; add pine nuts, raisins or cranberries, chopped red pepper; devour. ; )
  • fatgirlslimlady
    fatgirlslimlady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! Rip it up into pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil and salt, and bake in a hot oven until crispy but not burnt. They don't keep well - they get soggy quickly, but I've never had a problem eating them up. I've also heard of people using soy sauce instead of salt and oil, or adding a bit of cayenne or parmesan. There are probably a ton of variations.

You can also shred it, steam it so it's nice and soft, and put it in lasagna instead of spinach.

I've also had a soup very similar to this one: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/kale-recipes-00412000074204/page10.html (White bean soup with kale and chorizo) that was absolutely delicious, but I've never made it myself.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    In a bowl, using a fork, mixed with spinach, tomato, carrots, feta cheese, and Italian salad dressing!
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Beer battered kale. Kale fried in bacon grease on top of some toast with a fried egg. Saute it or sweat it in a pan with something acidic. You can treat it similarly to spinach but it's fairly bitter on its own.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    One of my fave dishes ever:
    You need:
    -coconut oil - I use organic spectrum
    -1 leek
    -kale

Thinly slice the white part of a leek
    Chop a bunch of any type of kale into bite sized pieces - I prefer lacinato but any type is good
    Melt coconut oil in skillet or saute pan on medium high heat
    Saute leeks until soft
    Add kale, saute until soft.

It sounds like nothing, but it's soooo delicious.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    Juice it, and make chips/ burgers out of the solids!
  • Jaulen
    Options
    3 fave ways:

1- add to my green smoothie
    2- saute as several mentioned although I forgo the bacon ; )
    3- salad: cut into strips, massage with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice --- actually massage with your hands to break the cell walls down, becomes quite tender; add pine nuts, raisins or cranberries, chopped red pepper; devour. ; )

Forgo the bacon?!?!?!

Hearsay I tell you! Hearsay!

:sad:
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Martha Stewarts Minestrone Soup has tonnes of Kale and is so delish and filling!
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been buying baby kale lately and using it in salads and protein shakes. It's much more palatable raw than regular kale, IMO. Regular kale I usually saute with garlic and olive oil, or something to that effect.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Baked Kale chips...You can not eat just one!!