Only lost 7 lbs in a month...

Options

Replies

• muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have to say that it sounds like you're doing a great job so far. You've lost 7 pounds in a month, and that's something to be very proud of. I haven't looked at your diary, but I can give you a little advice from my own experience. Watch the processed food because it's full of sodium. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water to help stay hydrated and flush out all that extra sodium too. The fresher the food is, the better it is for you too. Now, that being said, I've strayed from that a bit now that I'm back at work and don't have the opportunity to cook all my meals like I used to when I started doing this. As long as I continue to drink my water and watch my calories, I'm still losing. Work on changing one thing at a time. Start with the calories, which it sounds like you are doing a good job on. Then move on to adding more protien, watching sugar/sodium, and anything else that you need to work on. Don't try to change everything at once. And try to give each change plenty of time before you decide if it's working for you or not.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to believe but 7 lbs is good. Yes, i'm with you on the frustration of it all, feel like at a higher weight you should drop a huge number, etc...I struggle with this as well (and I had weight loss surgery too!).

I do think it would help you overall in life, if you started slowly moving from processy/convenience food to more whole foods. This is a hard one - i had to do it too, but eventually it really helps because you really do know what you are eating and you can often get more quantity if you need it for less calories, etc....take your time with it, but it will reduce the sodium issue and enlighten you even more.

Next up, don't be a slave to the scale. Put it away even and don't look at it for a while as you continue on your healthier eating/lifestyle. You will likely be pleasantly surprised. Also, remember that if you are exercising at all, you may be exchanging a little fat for muscle, which weighs more...don't let only the scale be your indicator.

If you were to lose 7 lbs a month. In a year you would have lost 84 lbs....does that seem bad to you? Remember that...you aren't here to drop 30lbs in a month and then treat yourself with snacks, gain it back and that's it. You are here for a long term lifestyle change (i think) that will result in forever weight loss. A year may be a long time, 2 years may be a long time....but that time will pass anyway...will you be healthier? Go for it girlie!!! You are doing great!
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I get that this site is big on being supportive, and while that is great and my intent in this comment, I don't see the point in providing counter-productive "atta girl" stuff in your case. Yes, seven pounds of weight loss is a terrific result that demonstrates your resolve, but you are correct in your concerns. I looked at your food diary and you will never have a sustainable healthy lifestyle by just eating smaller portions of bad foods. You may lose for a while, but sooner or later your reduced intake will go out the window and you will be right back where you started.

No vegetables? A high proportion of fast and processed foods? Don't feel like exercising? You are intelligent and know that this doesn't work. You have a good idea of what you need to do, so you can either permanently alter your lifestyle by increasing your vegetables, whole foods, and exercise or acknowedge that you are OK with yourself pretty much as you are. The incremental approach that you are on may result in some improvement and may be better than nothing, but is likely to result in more frustration than health improvements. Please don't take this as criticism--I wouldn't be here if I didn't struggle too--but rather support for you making the changes that you know you need to make.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ok that doesn't sound that bad but...I started MFP (again) on Jan 2. My baseline start that MPF gave me was about 1400 calories, I think. Here's how it panned out...

Week of Jan 7th- 2 days over cals, but 674 under weekly goal
    Week of Jan 14th- 3 days over cals, 373 over weekly goal

The second week, I was starving and I started reading up on Eat more to weight less, TDEE, BMR, In Place of a Road Map...I did the Scooby Workshop calculator. My BMR is 1968, and figured in the calculator to a 20% reduction to be 1889 cals. I changed my MFP calculator to 1865 cal/day.

I am 5'6", 262 lbs. I might exercise 3x/week. I had a personal trainer tell me once that its 80% diet. I'm working on that exercise part, but truth be told, I'm lazy. :grumble:

So in 30 days, I have only lost 7 lbs. I religiously weigh, measure and chart my intake correctly. I understand, just from past weight loss, that being morbidly obese, a small reduction in calories should result in a large weight loss. What I am doing wrong?? Check my diaries out, be brutal...tell me the truth. But I am never hungry, I have enjoyed this lifestyle change where I am not starving, binging, purging, eating only protein, etc...so I hope it just needs more time!

Please tell me its gonna work!!! :(

Its all about regulating your body.
    Anytime you change your routine you'll have a little fluctuation up then as you regulate, as long as you're below TDEE, you'll lose.
    If you constantly change your routine or calories you'll probably take longer to lose.
    Have patience.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Only lost 2lbs in January so you're doing it right!

Just keep swimming (Nemo) Great job
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Impressive loss!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! You're doing great!
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7.6 pounds for my first month, and I'm ecstatic. I started out at a high weight as well (251). I don't want to lose too fast because I don't want sagging skin.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing advice. I am a work in progress, be slow as it may. We are all here for some type of progress. Thank you! Thank you!!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just disheartened by some of my friends losing 10-20 pounds this month. But they are completely different people from me. Thank you everyone for your positive energy!!

I have that situation as well. But, I eat differently then they do and that's part of it. Try not to compare yourself to others. This is about the long haul and do what you can stick with for that long haul. 7 pounds in a month is a great, healthy loss. Keep going and be patient.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    I'm sorry... Only 7?

It took me 9 months to lose 25. :grumble:

I suggest you just keep on trucking and doing your thing. It's a lifestyle change, right? Then I wouldn't be in a hurry, you'll get there!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing advice. I am a work in progress, be slow as it may. We are all here for some type of progress. Thank you! Thank you!!!

Why are you still saying it's slow? It is NOT slow. That is pretty well a perfect amount to lose in a month.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Why are you still saying it's slow? It is NOT slow. That is pretty well a perfect amount to lose in a month.

Agreed. Well see how sustainable of a loss those 10-20 pounds people are losing! And how much of that is muscle vs. fat?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 7 lbs in one month! That's a great accomplishment!

Precisely. :flowerforyou:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Stop saying it's slow! I usually lose 4-5 pounds in a month. 7 is really good. I'd be ecstatic if I lost 7 pounds in a month.
  • snowlily80
    snowlily80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

This ^ I think thats great!!
  • hanalei2
    hanalei2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined. I came across this sight when I googled, "only 7lb weight loss in a month". I am so happy that I found this and read people's encouraging words. I have lost 7lbs in the past month and I was feeling extremely discouraged today. I wanted to quit. I see now that I am setting unrealistic goals. I feel better about the 7lbs that I have lost even though it took a month. I have signed up for this site now and look forward to being able to seek some support in my weight loss journey.
  • madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    7lb a month is 6 stone in a year, look beyond the smaller numbers. But an average 1.5lb a week is good.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Uh...if I lost 7 lbs in a month, I'd be jumping up and down.

Or I wouldn't even have the energy to do it 'cuz I'd be so damn starved.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options