Calling yourself "Fat"

Options

Replies

• sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fat is just an adjective. Like tall, or short, or thin or blue or smooth. We (individually and in society) choose whether or not to give it a negative connotation. And clearly, we have done so.

When we are raised to believe that fat equals lazy/worthless/unmotivated//unloveable...that's when the shame/embarassment/fear sets in.

I'm fat. But I'm also beautiful and smart and funny and worthy of being loved just as I am.

:flowerforyou:

I totally agree with this.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The worst is when a friend who is slimmer than you and objectively quite thin complains non stop about their weight in front of you and you can tell its to make themselves feel better. This drives me bonkers and I think it's SO rude! I know we're all our harshest critics but I would never whine about the 20 I need to lose to a friend who needed to lose much more just to make myself feel better. I once got very fed up with a close friend who asked why I had been able to lose ten pounds (at a time when I was 30 pounds overweight) when she couldn't seem to drop from130 to 120 (at a lean 5'5") I snapped and yelled BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ANY TO LOSE!! I AM LITERALLY OVERWEIGHT AND YOU ARE NOT! Haha! We made up and all but it still didn't shut her up! She complains to this day. I think it's just human nature.

I think it's probably a lot of insecurity on their part.

Definitely is. I just think there's something to be said for being sensitive to others and keeping it to yourself around those who obviously have it worse! Also I love love LOVE your profile photo! It's muh hawt body I do what I want!!!! Ahahahahaha!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Hmm,

Am I big boned? No, normal bone structure
    Am I fit? HA! not yet
    Am I thin? Whoa, yeah, not quite
    Am I obese? Well, ya know, I prefer the fat word over obese, so we'll go with fat for now!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have fat on my body. I can hold it in my hand when I squeeze my stomach. Therefore, I am fat. Is this necessarily a BAD thing? No. Do I get down on myself because I am 'fat'? Yes. But I know it's only temporary. I am still me. Fat and all.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop considering 'fat' a dirty word. It is a describing word, meant to signify an over-abundance of fatty tissue, which I possess. I am fat. I'm okay with that as far as who I am right now.

This, I am fat, its not a dirty word and if more people wouldn't think of it as a dirty word it wouldn't have the negative connotations that it does. Fat is just a word, I see it no different than saying "I am short."
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I needed to call myself fat when I started. I got to be fat by being in a constant state of denial about my weight.

What she said. Fat is not a four letter word to me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The worst is when a friend who is slimmer than you and objectively quite thin complains non stop about their weight in front of you and you can tell its to make themselves feel better. This drives me bonkers and I think it's SO rude! I know we're all our harshest critics but I would never whine about the 20 I need to lose to a friend who needed to lose much more just to make myself feel better. I once got very fed up with a close friend who asked why I had been able to lose ten pounds (at a time when I was 30 pounds overweight) when she couldn't seem to drop from130 to 120 (at a lean 5'5") I snapped and yelled BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ANY TO LOSE!! I AM LITERALLY OVERWEIGHT AND YOU ARE NOT! Haha! We made up and all but it still didn't shut her up! She complains to this day. I think it's just human nature.

You're absolutely right. How dare someone have the audacity to feel insecure around you. It is so rude that she isn't censoring her own feelings at the risk of hurting your feelings because yours are obviously more important.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Completely agreed with so many people here.
    It should be just as offensive as calling somebody 'thin'.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I actually just wrote a blog entry on body image today and have been getting positive feedback from it! LOVE YOURSELF because if you love yourself, you'll love your life, and others around you will love you more for it too!

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/01/body-image.html#!/2013/01/body-image.html
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I call it like I see it. If I look in the mirror and see fat . . . what's it to you?

Ignoring it and thinking "I don't look THAT bad" is what got me to 190 pounds. Doesn't mean I love myself any less that day than any other day.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It is what it is.
  • ChocoMello
    ChocoMello Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That!
    Exactly that!
    We all always say hiw pretty and nice others look when they call themselves fat or ugly on here...but we do jt ourselfes too!
    Every person csn be petty, every person even the skinniest has fat on them. Of course!
    So we all say 'i am fat'.
    Why dont we say 'i am muscle' or 'i am arms, legs and stomach with some brain' then?

So yea. You have fat. We all have. But that doset make any kf us here less of a petty nice kind person..!
    Does a body shape or a percentage of some body mass that can be changed easily really define us more then our insides, our chsracter wixh marks us as the person we are?
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am a culprit of calling myself fat - I use it as an adjective....however....I have a new saying "I am NOT fat, I HAVE fat....there is a difference" - and I am working everyday to get rid of the fat :)
    ^ THIS! This is my motto & working on this has helped my self-esteem tremendously!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Hmm,

Am I big boned? No, normal bone structure
    Am I fit? HA! not yet
    Am I thin? Whoa, yeah, not quite
    Am I obese? Well, ya know, I prefer the fat word over obese, so we'll go with fat for now!

Thats your right to do so. I don't ever find myself in the position to have to find a word for the size of my body.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No matter how many people tell me I'm not, I still feel that I'm fat. Even when I look in the mirror, I have a hard time believing that I'm as drastically different as 1.) people tell me am & 2.)that I actually AM not fat. I used to laugh at body dysmorphic disorder, but I truly think that it's a real and powerful thing. While I'm not a severe case, I can definitely see it being a major issue for folks.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Fat is just an adjective. Like tall, or short, or thin or blue or smooth. We (individually and in society) choose whether or not to give it a negative connotation. And clearly, we have done so.

When we are raised to believe that fat equals lazy/worthless/unmotivated//unloveable...that's when the shame/embarassment/fear sets in.

I'm fat. But I'm also beautiful and smart and funny and worthy of being loved just as I am.

:flowerforyou:

I love this!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

This is supposed to be a community of support and motivation yet there is so many people calling themselves fat and so FEW people calling themselves beautiful.

You make it sound like FAT and BEAUTIFUL are mutually exclusive. Granted, by society standards fat people aren't typically called beautiful, but to be cliched, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I am fat, but I also think I have some beauty in me. People get too caught up in labels and negativity, when really fat is just another adjective to me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I HEAR YA!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It motivates me to work harder if I call myself fat. I've always done it. My close friends and I will jokingly call each other fat. If you don't take it too seriously, it's not a bid deal.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I call it like I see it. If I look in the mirror and see fat . . . what's it to you?

Ignoring it and thinking "I don't look THAT bad" is what got me to 190 pounds. Doesn't mean I love myself any less that day than any other day.

Its nothing to me. Like I said, if this post doesn't resonate with you, then move on. But I know it does for a lot of other women that use the term "fat" as a way to speak down to themselves. If that isn't you, thats completely fine.

Take what you need and leave the rest behind. You obviously don't need this post.