Options
    We always thy i am fat.
    But never i am muscle.
    Or i am skin and blood and organs...

Its all just parts of our body.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I call myself fat because I am. Plus it sounds better than morbidly obese. It's just an acknowledgement of the issue, but not the only thing I am.

As I describe myself to others....I am ruggedly handsome!!! :tongue:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am a culprit of calling myself fat - I use it as an adjective....however....I have a new saying "I am NOT fat, I HAVE fat....there is a difference" - and I am working everyday to get rid of the fat :)

Exactly! Like I said, its OKAY to recognize it and its okay to want to change it, but FAT is NOT who you are. If that were the case, when you meet someone new you might as well say "Hi, I'm Fat. Nice to meet you!"

We call ourselves these things and begin to see them as true.....As WHO we are. What defines us.

My fat does not define me.

Doesn't work. I AM obese, I have obese makes no sense. I used to be morbidly obese, it's not defining me, it's being honest with myself :flowerforyou:
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Its one thing to recognize need for change and improvement but calling yourself names isn't going to make the pounds come off, so why do it?

Because realizing you are fat can be the first step in doing something about it????
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The worst is when a friend who is slimmer than you and objectively quite thin complains non stop about their weight in front of you and you can tell its to make themselves feel better. This drives me bonkers and I think it's SO rude! I know we're all our harshest critics but I would never whine about the 20 I need to lose to a friend who needed to lose much more just to make myself feel better. I once got very fed up with a close friend who asked why I had been able to lose ten pounds (at a time when I was 30 pounds overweight) when she couldn't seem to drop from130 to 120 (at a lean 5'5") I snapped and yelled BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ANY TO LOSE!! I AM LITERALLY OVERWEIGHT AND YOU ARE NOT! Haha! We made up and all but it still didn't shut her up! She complains to this day. I think it's just human nature.

You're absolutely right. How dare someone have the audacity to feel insecure around you. It is so rude that she isn't censoring her own feelings at the risk of hurting your feelings because yours are obviously more important.

I love you, will you marry me?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm fat, about 8% of it...
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am a culprit of calling myself fat - I use it as an adjective....however....I have a new saying "I am NOT fat, I HAVE fat....there is a difference" - and I am working everyday to get rid of the fat :)

I love this!!!! <3
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I was fat. I am less fat, and progressing towards baggy and saggy. Fat isn't who I am, it just is how I am. Right now. It isn't me forever. The saggy baggy part, less so sadly :S
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like to say that I am horizontally challenged.

I say that I am fat all the time, and I never felt any thing negative associated with the word. I would never say to someone else that they are fat or "hey look at that lady she is fat!". I say overweight to be polite about it.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Maybe people feel the need to say they are fat, or obese, or fluffy ( I don't get that one, but everyone can use the adjective they like), because society seems to demand penance from fat folk. As in, it's not okay to be fat ever, but at least if it is acknowledged by the 'fatee' then the very visible offense of being fat has been acknowledged and the debt to society can be called in.

It is essentially fat people saying, (my apologies to Red Green) "I am fat; I can change; if I have to, I guess, to be accepted on equal footing with thin folk." Does that make sense? I'm not on a fat acceptance trip; I am on a human acceptance trip. And it seems like fat folk still must make public penance for their fatness. Working on fitness, careful eating, and weight reduction aren't enough; there has to be a soupcon of shame, too.

And for me, I would rather say I'm fat if we have to use a descriptive word. The word obese, while correct, seems vaguely obscene.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    By the way, everyone that has something negative to say about this post obviously doesn't have a complex with calling themselves fat. But the POINT of the post still remains clear.

I have never met a person in my life that has never said anything negative about themselves. The POINT of the post is to be kinder to ourselves. If you want to argue for the sake of arguing, you can do so. But if there is any woman on this message board that has never said one negative thing about herself, I'd like to shake her hand.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I call myself fat all the time. I don't have low self esteem..(see my profile pic).. I never have.. But I am fat.

It doesn't bother me if someone else calls me fat BECAUSE I am fat.. it's going to take a whole lot more to offend me. People need to stop being so sensitive over everything. if people wants to call themselves fat.. let them..
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Fat is just an adjective. Like tall, or short, or thin or blue or smooth. We (individually and in society) choose whether or not to give it a negative connotation. And clearly, we have done so.

When we are raised to believe that fat equals lazy/worthless/unmotivated//unloveable...that's when the shame/embarassment/fear sets in.

I'm fat. But I'm also beautiful and smart and funny and worthy of being loved just as I am.

:flowerforyou:

This. I am fat. I have over 100 pounds left to lose. I'm sorry if it offends you, but at 277 pounds fat IS a description of myself. It doesn't change who I am as a person.

What word do you think I should use to describe myself? I may have a larger frame, but the extra 100 pounds isn't a result of my being "big-boned." I've never quite understood people who describe themselves as "fluffy." Overweight isn't sufficient to describe how much weight I have to lose. I suppose I could refer to myself as obese, but honestly, I just prefer to say fat.

She might mean people who are like, 10 lbs overweight calling themselves fat. You seem to have the right frame of mind.
    It's unlikely that you call yourself fat to make people feel sorry for you.

I try not to call myself fat anymore because I'm not that overweight anymore. I HAVE fat but I don't think I'm the hugest person EVAR.

Because of my own insecurities, sometimes when skinny girls call themselves fat around me it does make me wonder and a little sad. But really those chicks probably don't even see me. They crazy. :):)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The worst is when a friend who is slimmer than you and objectively quite thin complains non stop about their weight in front of you and you can tell its to make themselves feel better. This drives me bonkers and I think it's SO rude! I know we're all our harshest critics but I would never whine about the 20 I need to lose to a friend who needed to lose much more just to make myself feel better. I once got very fed up with a close friend who asked why I had been able to lose ten pounds (at a time when I was 30 pounds overweight) when she couldn't seem to drop from130 to 120 (at a lean 5'5") I snapped and yelled BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE ANY TO LOSE!! I AM LITERALLY OVERWEIGHT AND YOU ARE NOT! Haha! We made up and all but it still didn't shut her up! She complains to this day. I think it's just human nature.

You're absolutely right. How dare someone have the audacity to feel insecure around you. It is so rude that she isn't censoring her own feelings at the risk of hurting your feelings because yours are obviously more important.

What on earth about this says my feelings are more important? I, like any person, am riddled with insecurity but there is such a thing as sensitivity. If a friend says they failed a test i wouldn't complain if I got an A-, even if I am devastated that it wasn't an A. My friend, though she is a good person, used me to make herself feel better about her insecurity constantly. She objectively knew how much thinner she was but nonetheless complained about it in front of me to make herself feel better. She wasn't trying to hurt me, my feelings are not more important and I wasn't hurt by it, only frustrated. And all I told her in return is that she is thin- thus supporting her and trying to alleviate the insecurity some what. Your response to this was shocking to me and I will be removing myself from this otherwise very friendly thread of valid opinions because I do not want to read another snide response from you, and whatever you reply (if you do) just know I will not read it. The valid discussion about calling oneself "fat" and what that means we must think of others if we say it about ourselves was very interesting and many of you shared respectful views- of yourselves and each other. To you guys, I say thanks! Carry on with this interesting thread without rudeness and unnecessary sarcasm.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am FAT! I get what your saying about not talking yourself down (and yes, some people really are not fat) but for me, I spent a long time in denial, telling myself I was certainly chubby but not really fat and that I "carried it well". Well I was a good 70 pounds overweight. I took a picture of myself in my underwear and took a good hard look and admitted I was fat and had to do something about it! So I hear ya, but I see it as an admission and so a good thing personally!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It was actually very cathartic for me when I could say I was Fat. I think it took the power off that word and no one could use it against me to hurt me.

So you better believe I'm FAT! Go ahead try your hardest to hurt me I've already said worse to myself.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    By the way, everyone that has something negative to say about this post obviously doesn't have a complex with calling themselves fat. But the POINT of the post still remains clear.

I have never met a person in my life that has never said anything negative about themselves. The POINT of the post is to be kinder to ourselves. If you want to argue for the sake of arguing, you can do so. But if there is any woman on this message board that has never said one negative thing about herself, I'd like to shake her hand.

I totally have complexes. lol.

Stopping myself from saying bad things about myself really helped my moods and self-esteem a lot. So, you are correct! :)
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This may sound harsh, but I dont sugar coat things because thats just not how life works. I think I'm beautiful, I am a great mom and a good wife...but I'm fat, simple as that. I am able to admit this about myself and it makes me stronger, I see my faults and I know how to fix them and thats what im trying to do. It doesnt hurt my feelings or make me feel bad about myself to look in the mirror and say, "yup, i'm a fatty, but im working on it and thats all that matters"! I also couldn't care less if someone else calls me fat, because more than likely they don't know me, don't know what I have been through in my life, and don't deserve to affect my attitude or how I feel about myself, they can suck it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am FAT! I get what your saying about not talking yourself down (and yes, some people really are not fat) but for me, I spent a long time in denial, telling myself I was certainly chubby but not really fat and that I "carried it well". Well I was a good 70 pounds overweight. I took a picture of myself in my underwear and took a good hard look and admitted I was fat and had to do something about it! So I hear ya, but I see it as an admission and so a good thing personally!

I wish I could have been in denial. I was a happy, guilt free fat one..that is until the doctor got on my butt and I figured it was time for a change.. speaking of..gotta get my fat butt up and do some cardio.. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. My friend and I are loosing weight together. I had the most to loose (and needed to for health reasons), but she wants to slim down some as well. We also have another friend of ours who is thin with a wee belly pooch that appeared after kids and getting older. She calls herself fat all the time and talks about being 5 pounds larger than she wants. And the two of us who are trying to loose more than just five pounds are just

GC-Gravatar-copy.png

Then I realized that my weight loss and her weight loss are not reflective on the other person and no less valid. Just because she thinks she's fat by her standards doesn't mean she thinks that I am super hardcore obese. Nor does the fact that I've lost almost 50 pounds and have another 40 to go negate her desire to make herself look better for her.

But, to your other point, I call myself fat because I literally am fat. It's not a put down, just reality.

ETA- but I should note that I refused to call myself fat when I was 240. I thought that saying it was an admission of failure. Which wasn't or isn't true. I had to grow into the title before I could do something about it. I feel better about myself at this size than I did when I was two sizes smaller in High School.