almond milk or soy milk?

Options
124»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Had all sorts in the house as land lady was wondering if she had an intolerance to dairy.

If you don't have a problem, just stick to normal skimmed milk.

I think only the lowest calorie soya managed to be as low (slightly less I think) on calories and for me the 'real thing' beats them on taste.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Almond milk... for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned about soy affecting thyroid function also... soy acts like an estrogen supplement in the body... You are not supposed to give young boys a lot of soy especially during puberty... plus almond milk is cheap and easy to make yourself! =)
  • bumpee55
    Options
    Almond Vanilla - Unsweeten. I cannot use soy milk because I am on blood thinners.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate casein (milk protein) so I use almond milk and I like it. The unsweetened kind has no sugar and more calcium than cow's milk. It isn't a good source of protein, though, but I use it mainly as a calcium source anyway. I have had soy milk in Starbuck's hot cocoa and that was nice and creamy, but otherwise, I have no idea what it tastes like...
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The only milk I get is a little with morning cereal, and I've been using Silk Unsweetened (original) Almond Milk. Since I'm not a milk 'drinker' I can't speak to the texture or taste alone, but I love it over cereal.
    Someone else mentioned coconut milk... now I'm thinking about a delicious Banana Bailey's Colada with CoCo Lopez coconut cream! Yummmmmmm......
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk, when i drink the soy, my stomach disagrees with me all day! Besides the Almond Breeze vanilla tastes amazing :)
  • aguvsrn92
    Options
    Almond milks good 50% more calcium then milk. Get the original cause any flavored one is going to be to sweet. :) Taste good on unsweetened cereal.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    You just need to make sure it says on the carton that it is "not genetically modified"..if it does not have this on there..you're better off drinking regular skim milk. Soy milk can easily be genetically modified. Also you must watch how much sugar is in each serving. These are the reasons I just drink skim milk.
  • JustAGirL29
    Options
    that reminds me to put soy milk in my grocery list! :)

I've tried both, both to me seem great, but I prefer Soy.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    Vanilla almond with cereal! Giggity!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of almond milk but soy has a better protein count.
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love the flavor of blue diamond's almond coconut unsweetened. Awesome in my breakfast shakes.
  • hc83
    hc83 Posts: 23
    Options
    Home made almond milk.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I honestly prefer the taste of soy, but have lately transitioned over to almond milk to limit my soy intake. For those of you worried about protein, try So Delicious Almond Milk + Protein.. I buy it unsweetened now (to lower the carb count), but the vanilla is pretty good too.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk FTW

agreed!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You just need to make sure it says on the carton that it is "not genetically modified"..if it does not have this on there..you're better off drinking regular skim milk.
    Why?
    Ethics? Can't see any other reason?

If anything, GM soy may have various other ethical reasons to drink it over non GM - I don't know the specifics, but things like less pesticides, more likely for 'poor' people to get a crop and thus get paid, ability to grow on land that doesn't require cutting down forests are the sorts of reasons you might want to take GM over non GM.
    Of course, in reality ALL the food we eat has had it's genetics modified - and most of it by humans.