When to lift weights?

Options
13»

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    5 pounds per day. So 15 pounds per week. Not each set.

Also deadlifts are supposed to go up 10 pounds each time and you only do 1 set of 5 deadlifts not 5

you ll be at 135 on the deadlift in about 2 weeks so should try to find more on craigslist probably can get them pretty cheap

I can't increase that much anymore. I got up to 155 lbs (my body weight is 135), but found I'm losing grip. Deloaded back to 135 and worked back up at 5 lbs each time, but can't go beyond. Split grip seems so awkward -- seems no easier to me.

Every one has their stalling points. You're doing it right. And yea I hate spit grip too.

Maybe try gloves or straps?

I like the split grip.

I would recommend not using gloves or straps, rather working on grip strengthening exercises. Using gloves or straps just makes the problem worse in the long run.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Split, or alternating grip, whatever you want to call it should make things quite a bit easier. Gloves will not help. In fact there's not reason to use gloves ever. If you are getting calluses then you aren't gripping properly. Here's a video explaining how to grip the bar properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

Regarding losing grip.. Are you doing deads first in your routine? Make sure you aren't doing any other work before which could fatigue your grip. How many sets are you doing before you attempt your max weights sets? Just some things to consider which could be affecting grip. Check out the vid above and perhaps that might be enough to help with. it's all in the fingers, not the hands. There's no harm in using straps, but only when you can't progress any further without them.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Split, or alternating grip, whatever you want to call it should make things quite a bit easier. Gloves will not help. In fact there's not reason to use gloves ever. If you are getting calluses then you aren't gripping properly. Here's a video explaining how to grip the bar properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

Regarding losing grip.. Are you doing deads first in your routine? Make sure you aren't doing any other work before which could fatigue your grip. How many sets are you doing before you attempt your max weights sets? Just some things to consider which could be affecting grip. Check out the vid above and perhaps that might be enough to help with. it's all in the fingers, not the hands. There's no harm in using straps, but only when you can't progress any further without them.
    I don't have callouses. I do 2 x 5 warm up squats and 5 x 5 max squats before deads. I just do 1 x 5 max sets of deads (stronglifts program).

thanks for the vid.