Any Success using the TDEE Formula

Options

Replies

• SweetCrumb
    SweetCrumb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, I just switched to TDEE today (I'm beginning tomorrow). Looking forward to eating more and seeing results!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, I just switched to TDEE today (I'm beginning tomorrow). Looking forward to eating more and seeing results!!

If you are into running then TDEE is great - feed those muscles and they will reward you! :smile:
  • cunnart
    Options
    SRH7 thanks for the reply. My tdee isn't drastically different from my MFP numbers, 2400 vs.2100. But the other thing that is confusing if I do the calcs per the road map thread my cals are at 2400, if I use the spread sheet or scooby they are lower.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    3. Strength trainining: Using big dumbbells and a list of exercises someone on MFP passed to me from the Internet. 15 mins three times a week - big weights = fast results. And increased muscle mass = fat burning machine!

Do you mind sharing what list of exercises you use? Thank you!
  • SRH7
    Options
    SRH7 thanks for the reply. My tdee isn't drastically different from my MFP numbers, 2400 vs.2100. But the other thing that is confusing if I do the calcs per the road map thread my cals are at 2400, if I use the spread sheet or scooby they are lower.

Your best bet is to join the Roadmap group and put a post in there. I've figured out what works for me but not quite at the stage of being sure what is right for others yet (and would hate to get it wrong).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • SRH7
    Options
    3. Strength trainining: Using big dumbbells and a list of exercises someone on MFP passed to me from the Internet. 15 mins three times a week - big weights = fast results. And increased muscle mass = fat burning machine!

Do you mind sharing what list of exercises you use? Thank you!

Absolutely! This even has links to videos to show you what to do :)

http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    Options
    Bump
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was in and out of different methods for the past few years. Through the website fitday, I found through day to day logging of food, and a "mood journal" I needed to be around 2,000 calories. From 2009 to 2011 I went from 250 down to about 216.

My weight fluxed between 216 and 240 or so.

Then, last year I joined MFP, I don't remember what all my settings were, but I had some decent losses. getting into a consistant 230, then 220 stage, down to 216 again, and then went back up into the mid to high 220's.

This year I decided to get focused and committed, using the Holy Road Map, without working out, I went from 227 down to 216.2.

Without working out.

So, about 10 pounds, and at least 5% body fat down in a month and a half. Recently picked up StrongLifts, C25k, and until May I'm dumping the scale and only using a tape measure (every 2 weeks).
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    MFP has my calories at 1200, my TDEE from one site says 1583. So my -20 would be 1266. So if I went by TDEE-20, I'd eat 1266 calories and not eat back my exercise calories? Dang 1200 calories isn't much :( (I kinda like food...)
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for more than 4 months and have just started the TDEE -20% formula. I'm hoping to kick start a slow, but steady weight loss. Also hoping to start the C25K this spring and do some lifting. Thanks to all of you for posting your encouraging stories about TDEE -20;
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    MFP has my calories at 1200, my TDEE from one site says 1583. So my -20 would be 1266. So if I went by TDEE-20, I'd eat 1266 calories and not eat back my exercise calories? Dang 1200 calories isn't much :( (I kinda like food...)

According to your profile you only have 10 lbs to lose so TDEE-20% is too big a cut. Try a 15% or more likely a 10% cut. With so little to lose its going to be a slow process. Good luck!
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

At a guess, you may have calculated your TDEE incorrectly as that seems very low. Or you may be getting confused with your BMR. What is your height and weight, and how much exercise do you do each week?

I'm only 5'3" and class myself as lightly active as I only exercise twice a week, and my TDEE is around 1900.

Also, the closer you get to your goal weight, the less of a deficit you should have. If you only have 10lbs to lose, then you shouldn't be aiming for more than 1/2lb a week loss at most, or maybe even just set it to maintenance and eat maybe 100 cals under the figure it gives you.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm doing approximately TDEE-20%. My TDEE is around 2400 according to calculators (although my FitBit has it between 2400 and 3000 depending on the day) and I eat 1900 or thereabouts most days and have done for 6 weeks. In that time, I've lost 4.3kg (9.5lb) without feeling hungry or deprived.

I've eaten MAHOOOSIVE curries, I've treated myself to ice cream (when it fitted my macros) and once in a while I have a couple of glasses of prosecco or a cocktail (if I'm going to drink sensibly, I'm going to drink well).

Because there's everything in moderation, I'm not tempted to have massive "cheat" days on a regular basis and I don't feel like food is an enemy.
  • rnd789
    rnd789 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you input the information correctly, they should end up to be more or less the same.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well TDEE won me over I know I have not been eating enough so here it goes...although...my 20% only added 160 calories above MFP 1,200...I have been eating under 1,000 mostly for almost 2 months and exercising and yes losing but very slowly after 1st couple weeks...I only have a few left SOOO I am IN!!!
  • myfrogs11
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 125. I used sed. level (I'm trying to be honest...as I currently have not started to work out yet). My BMR is something like 1350.
  • myfrogs11
    Options

At a guess, you may have calculated your TDEE incorrectly as that seems very low. Or you may be getting confused with your BMR. What is your height and weight, and how much exercise do you do each week?

I'm only 5'3" and class myself as lightly active as I only exercise twice a week, and my TDEE is around 1900.

Also, the closer you get to your goal weight, the less of a deficit you should have. If you only have 10lbs to lose, then you shouldn't be aiming for more than 1/2lb a week loss at most, or maybe even just set it to maintenance and eat maybe 100 cals under the figure it gives you.

I'm 5'1" and 125. I used sed. level (I'm trying to be honest...as I currently have not started to work out yet). My BMR is something like 1350.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Slide yourself between sedentary and lightly active (ball park it). Sedentary is laying in bed all day, not doing anything at all. I'd be willing to be you walk around, and live a normal life, no?
  • myfrogs11
    Options

Slide yourself between sedentary and lightly active (ball park it). Sedentary is laying in bed all day, not doing anything at all. I'd be willing to be you walk around, and live a normal life, no?

So I'd eat below my TDEE but above my BMR? And once I start exercising, I would not eat my exercise calories back, correct?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!