Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    TDEE-less then 20% here
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Guaranteed to work (provided that you have your TDEE calculated correct or close, and are logging accurately or close to accurately).
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're seeing a lot of success stories indicating the poster used a TDEE, don't they count as folks who have had success with the method?
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had success using both the TDEE formula and MFP. Lost approx 15 pounds using MFP guideline and approx 15 pounds using TDEE. They are really going to work about the same way if you are using MFP correctly (i.e.--you put in the correct daily activity rate and you are eating back most, if not all of your exersice calories). The difference is really just semantics. With the TDEE you have to be very dedicated to your exercise routine because you have already added in those calories so if you bail out of your exercise too often, you will be eating too many calories. The bonus with TDEE is you get to eat roughly the same number of calories daily, whereas on MFP, you may be starving on days you don't work out and trying to stuff yourself on days you do. I prefer to use TDEE because I don't like being hungry and I can stick to my routine pretty well, most of the time. But again, it's really just a preference thing.
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Quick question, so if you calculate your TDEE and choose the sedentry option, does that mean you need to eat your excercise calories back?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I started December 11, and even being completely derailed for a week and a half during the holidays, I've still lost 11 pounds in 11 weeks.
  • lorierin22
    Options
    Quick question, so if you calculate your TDEE and choose the sedentry option, does that mean you need to eat your excercise calories back?

No, if you exercise, you are not sedentary. You need to plug in the amount of exercise you intend on doing. That is the point of using TDEE. If you are going to use sedentary and count exercise calories seperately, you can just use MFP.
  • wade78
    Options

No, if you exercise, you are not sedentary. You need to plug in the amount of exercise you intend on doing. That is the point of using TDEE. If you are going to use sedentary and count exercise calories seperately, you can just use MFP.

Ahh I see! Thank you.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    For so long people have tried this diet and that diet and this pill and that shake and this juice and that cleanse........you get my point. The truth is..(drum roll)..Eat less and move more. Calculate your TDEE correctly, calculate your BMR correctly, then have NET calories somewhere in between. By net I mean food calories minus exercise equals net. People ask about eating back exercise calories, if that's what you have to do to get above BRM, then eat them. I have been doing this for two months and I have found that "spot" my body likes between BMR and TDEE. It really is that simple, burn more calories than you eat and you WILL lose weight. If you want to eat more, move more.
  • wade78
    Options

Ahh I see! Thank you.

Just recaluculated this..........................WOW Thats a large number!
  • lorierin22
    Options

Ahh I see! Thank you.

Make sure you subtract out your 20% to cut fat, but yes, it is usually a lot more calories than people have been eating, mostly because people don't eat back their exercise calories the way MFP intended or they put in sedentary, when very few people actually are (even most people with desk jobs are probably lightly active). Again, if you use MFP the way it is intended, there isn't really much difference.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    sure
  • wade78
    Options

Ahh I see! Thank you.

Make sure you subtract out your 20% to cut fat, but yes, it is usually a lot more calories than people have been eating, mostly because people don't eat back their exercise calories the way MFP intended or they put in sedentary, when very few people actually are (even most people with desk jobs are probably lightly active). Again, if you use MFP the way it is intended, there isn't really much difference.

Yep I did -20% and thats still higher than I would have expected. Hmm very interesting!
  • wade78
    Options
    OK two more questions guys......................did you guys up your calories in one go or did you do an incremental increase say +100cals every few weeks

Also should I be increasing my calories since I've got only about 14lb left to loose. I hear the last few pounds are harder to loose so eating more at this stage seems counterintutive but I'm willing to be open minded
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK two more questions guys......................did you guys up your calories in one go or did you do an incremental increase say +100cals every few weeks

Also should I be increasing my calories since I've got only about 14lb left to loose. I hear the last few pounds are harder to loose so eating more at this stage seems counterintutive but I'm willing to be open minded

If you have quite a big jump, it's best to add 100 - 150 cals a week.
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've been at 2/3 of my TDEE for months and have returned to my ideal weight. I'm never hungry or tired. I have had no need to increase my calorie intake; actually I've taken on the 5:2 fasting cycle and lost another two pounds. Still no cravings or anything.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest parts of this, is knowing which "activity level" to choose. If I'm walking two days a week (getting about 10k steps) and the other three days a week, doing the first stage of the New Rules of Lifting for Women -- would that be lightly or moderately active? Or somewhere in between?

It's really hard for me to notice changes on the scale right now due to the new lifting routine, plus the scale isn't what I'm most worried about right now, but I want to make sure I'm not eating too little... or too much.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest parts of this, is knowing which "activity level" to choose. If I'm walking two days a week (getting about 10k steps) and the other three days a week, doing the first stage of the New Rules of Lifting for Women -- would that be lightly or moderately active? Or somewhere in between?

It's really hard for me to notice changes on the scale right now due to the new lifting routine, plus the scale isn't what I'm most worried about right now, but I want to make sure I'm not eating too little... or too much.

Same, I do 2 days goal of 15-20k steps, and then 2 days heavy lifting 5x5 program and I am not sure which to pick as thats 3-4 days depending weather (as i walk outside) are only tdee (per fitbit) of 2330 range, and thats between numbers for most sites I have seen for me as well.

I tend to go by the lower end and eat for the 2330, and then eat back on days I lift if that helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Depends which site you are using - using the scooby site, I would say that is moderately active.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!