Strong urge to use the bathroom during a run:

Options
It never fails - about twenty minutes in to a run I will get a strong urge to need to pass a bowel movement. It doesn't feel like gas, it's very much an internal pressure. Often times I will run another five or so minutes and then attempt to use the facilities, typically with no results. I normally spend a few minutes in the bathroom before a workout just to make sure everything has exited my body that wants to. ....

Normally I do not continue my run after attempting the trip to the restoom, as I only really plan on 40 minutes for the workout, and I've already got my pants half off. LOL...

Anyway, my questions are: Does anyone else experience this? Do you have advice on how I may prevent this or what may be causing this? Other poop related comments you'd like to contribute?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was a marathon runner who SWORE every time before she ran a race, all the stress and excitement and buildup (heh) of the race would make her have to poop.

We went to watch our friends run in a 20k run and she felt the need to poop because she got so excited about running.

She might be cray though.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    That's actually really typical. I will let someone who is capable of running for more than five minutes advise you on what to do about it, though. :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot. I have found not eating before I run is a big help. If I run in the morning I don't eat at all before, if I run in the evening I don't eat at least 2 hours before I do my run and I always make sure to go to the bathroom prior to my run.

Most times it works but sometimes... not so much.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else experience this?
    Yes.
    Do you have advice on how I may prevent this or what may be causing this?
    Getting up and stirring around for a bit until my bowels "wake up". Pooping with all of my might before the run.
    Other poop related comments you'd like to contribute?
    Finally had a solid bowel movement today. It wasn't S-shaped, but it was solid. Please feel free to learn more about my Watery-To-Chunky-To-Semi-Solid-To-Beefy-Solid-Stool journey here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874580-finally-i-did-it I promise that I'm not selling anything!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's really common. When do you run- morning, afternoon, evening? You can take a look at your diet and see if there are tweaks that can help. What most people do is work your run around your schedule- so people will get up in the AM, drink coffee, use the bathroom, and then run. Running in the evenings works for me, I have a (non-fiberous) carb snack like an hour before the end of the work day and then run after work. Dairy, protein bars, and high fiber foods are all really bad for my afternoon snack. Coffee right beforehand tends to cause problems for me too. You will just have to experiment what works for you, unfortunately. There's no one size fits all solution. But, you're not alone.
  • trishmce
    Options
    i always get up about 30-40 minutes before, have coffee, the warm liquid helps. move around and wake up your sytem. It has worked for me for years.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Two words: Compression shorts

Ok, I don't really have anything of value to add, so I'll just leave now.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Very common problem among runners. Just go before you go. "PRP" = pre-run poop.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If a seam busts, you're gonna have this happen:

playdoh.gif

Best to vacate before running than try to block the exit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Common.

Running is a natural laxative.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Since it's only a feeling and nothing happens I'd work on ignoring the feeling and just carry on. Sounds like you must be on a treadmill to be able to just stop to go so should it become an emergency before your 40 minutes is up you should be able to handle it.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    *Walks in, sees "beefy" next to the word "stool" and leaves.*
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Stop and use the tree?
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't eat beforehand, or wait an hour or so for things to start digesting.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I used to but I would eat lots of veggies in the afternoon before my run. I moved my veggies to my mid morning snack so now I have a regular BM before my run and less of an urge to during the run.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling but then I slow down to a fast walk and the urge goes away, so I dont know, I try to ignore it
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    They don't call it Runner's Trots for nothing
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    If a seam busts, you're gonna have this happen:

playdoh.gif

Best to vacate before running than try to block the exit.

does it come with the kid laughing too???
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    just harvest that s**t and you'll never pay full price at the butcher's counter again!

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/steak-made-from-human-poop-passes-taste-test
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Since it's only a feeling and nothing happens I'd work on ignoring the feeling and just carry on. Sounds like you must be on a treadmill to be able to just stop to go so should it become an emergency before your 40 minutes is up you should be able to handle it.

I think this is going to be my course of action. I wanted to do a little 'check in' to see if it was a normal thing before trying to ignore it. You make a very good point about getting to the restroom (yes, I run on a treadmill for now)..

I appreciate everyone's input on my output!