Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just another self rightious holier than thou piss ant doing what they do. It just shows you how much respect this person has for other people. I just hope the the tables are turned on this *kitten* one day.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Disgusting!!!!!
    The waitress didn't deserve any of it!
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You should always tip 10 to 15%. ... They wait on you HAND and FOOT and only make $2.13 an hour.

They choose to get that pay. There is a min wage for people who earn tips for a reason - they get really decent pay from tips. People choose jobs with tips becuase they CAN make pretty good money, but its not garunteed. You dont get tiped? Suck it up and move on to the next customer(s). No one has to tip - I do follow the 15% min rule - but I think people have every right not to. You work for tips and dont like that answer? Get a different job.

That waitress was stupid to post that online - she should have been fired. Even if I didn't agree with it, it was company policy and she rolled the dice and lost.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I read the story about this and, in the end, the group ended up paying the tip twice. Once because it was automatically figured into the bill (as is customary with a group of 8 or more) and the other tip was cash left on the table. Of course, it is the pastor's word against anyone else who wishes to speculate.

Was the pastor wrong for leaving the note?
    Absolutely. That is the kind of thing that gives Christians a bad name. In the article, the pastor admitted that it was wrong, saying she was embarrassed and brought shame to her church.

Was the waitress wrong for posting the bill
    Absolutely. According to the restaurant, Applebee's, the waitress violated the customer's privacy which is against company policy. Business owners who offer a service and do it poorly or openly gripe about their customers get a bad reputation and don't stay in business very long. Now, if this business is a corporation, with a national chain (like Applebee's), there are lots of people to keep happy. Restaurant managers have regional managers and heaven knows how many other managers above that. And then there are the corporate shareholders, board members, yada, yada, yada. To many, it may not seem fair that she was fired, but business is not always fair. Why? Because it's business, not fifth-grade.

I've always left a cash tip on the table, for two reasons:
    1) I figure there's a better chance the money will go to my waiter/waitress, instead of being put into a pool that is divided evening at the end of the night.
    2) I always thought it would put a few extra cents in the waiter/waitresses pocket, since it means it wouldn't show up on the paycheck with taxes deducted.
    Now, I'll be rethinking leaving it on the table, especially if my receipt with a zero tip has a chance of showing up on the Internet.

^^^^ This.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    b) Tips are part of my wages. I make $2.40 an hour. Not tipping is causing me to make less than minimum wage.

I have no sympathy - you chose to get a job where you had to rely on tips. You earn tips - they are not mandatory.

Exactly!
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    People shouldn't have to leave a bloody tip if they don't want to!!!!

Servers DEPEND on tips. They make only 4.67 an hour. Work 40 hrs in 2 weeks. Because it's not like Shifts are ALWAYS 8 hrs long. And you don't ALWAYS work 5 days a week. Please tell me you can live off 300 a month.

I wouldn't accept a job that couldn't provide me with enough income....simple.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Servers DEPEND on tips. They make only 4.67 an hour. Work 40 hrs in 2 weeks. Because it's not like Shifts are ALWAYS 8 hrs long. And you don't ALWAYS work 5 days a week. Please tell me you can live off 300 a month.

I'm glad you are in a position where you can make such a choice. I have a Bachelor's and work at the restaurant in question. I just applied for a "real job" but will continue working there for extra money. Are you not aware that unemployment is still very high??

Don't know if anyone's seen this yet. People are doing sort of a counter movement. I don't care for the anti religion feel to it, but it's interesting.

734770_329339763844505_267159172_n.jpg

Edit: Crap, stupid size issue. There's an Applebee's receipt next to it that says "I give God 0% so you get 28%" with the tip.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That 10% tithe isn't for GOD. It's for the CHURCH.

There's a difference.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For the blatant privacy issue - yes. Text that to your friends but don't blast someone's name online.

The total was 30 before tip. Tip was only 6 something. He left her ZERO. I'm betting he was a real pleasure to serve too. *eyeroll*

I haven't read this whole post, so somebody might have already beat me to it...

The pastor (a woman) actually left $6.00 on the table.
  • agreeing with u ! The God "card" seems to be a easy out for some very rude peoples actions ! yuck to him.
  • karabff
    Options
    perhaps this person needs to start reading her Bible again..it does say a man is worthy of his wages an her wages come from her tips--what a horrible witness
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What a BS excuse for being cheap.

"I give god 10%"???? What the hell does that mean? What currency does your myth accept?

I hope everyone remembers this when donation, or pass the plate time comes...I'd take change for a dollar.

Scumbag pastor!

And the restaurant that fired her should be sued to the hilt!
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through all the posts, and while I don't agree with NOT tipping, the waitress did post someones personal & banking info for all to see.

Is this the reason for being fired?
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Now, I'll be rethinking leaving it on the table, especially if my receipt with a zero tip has a chance of showing up on the Internet.

That's only if you leave a sh#tty message on your receipt.

When I leave a cash tip, I always write "CASH" in the tip line on the credit card slip. I'm not leaving them nothing, but I also know kids from college who would change amounts in the tip line after customers left. It's just easier to write "CASH" and then leave at least 20% on the table or hand it to them directly and tell them to have a nice night.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    They are both wrong, the waitress and the pastor.
    The waitress is justified in being disgusted but posting it on Facebook violates serious privacy issues, PLUS it makes her look like a petulant child and a real jerk.

The pastor is just a nasty customer. It happens, there are jerks everywhere. That does not make it right to post this online.

I would have fired the waitress and would have also considered legal action since she represented my business while violating a customer's privacy.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't think the receipt said anything about making a comment about god.... so she could share if he was going to be an *kitten*...... she didnt deserve to be fired... then again if I was serving *kitten* like that, I wouldnt want to work with those customers.... its a tip- based on customer service.. God gave the waitress life.... the waitress is not obligated to pass over her pay cheque to god for living....shame on the pastor.....
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The church makes their money from donations/tips, so you would think a pastor would understand how this person makes a living and tip her appropriately for her service.

But waitresses know just like I knew when I delivered pizzas that some customers are never going to tip you no matter what. It could be Christmas and they just hit the lottery and they still wouldn't tip.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    what has the waitress done to keep her job?

so if i'm stepping out on my girl, is she going to post that on her facebook page too? if i meeting with a prospective employer and considering leaving my job, will she put that on twitter? not sure what the US gov't has to do with it. no one is saying to prosecute her. but if i own the joint i don't employ people that embarrass my customers

I get your point, however there is a line to be drawn. Granted, the business I am in is much different than food service, but still, I don't want a customer who intentionally causes anguish to my staff members either.

Anguish? Please. I run a business, without my clients/customers I couldn't pay for my home and my bills. The waitress signed on to deal with good tippers and bad tippers when she took the job. I worked in the service industry while I was in University and no, it isn't easy but have a little perspective FFS! Do your job badly - you get fired, represent the company badly you get fired. End of.

ETA: It is TOTALLY up to the pastor whether they want to tip or not. Perhaps the waitress had a bad attitude. Three sides to every story.
  • CrowdStoppa
    Options
    What a BS excuse for being cheap.

"I give god 10%"???? What the hell does that mean? What currency does your myth accept?

I hope everyone remembers this when donation, or pass the plate time comes...I'd take change for a dollar.

Scumbag pastor!

And the restaurant that fired her should be sued to the hilt!

Totally agreed!

Someone also mentioned it was the tightwad god pushing pastors choice to tip or not.....BS! Mandatory gratuity to eat in a restaurant when your bill is a certain amount means mandatory period. Who cares is she is a "woman of so called god" doesn't stop her from raking in the dough come Sunday morning but she can't pay someone who waited on her and probably had to listen to a ton of crap the entire time. One thing I will always stand by and that is don't mess with the people that handle your food. I have respect for the men and women that work in the food service industry they are usually overworked over stressed and underpaid for what they have to deal with. I mean these people essentially have to kiss the a$$e$ of their customers no matter what and that is sad. My sis told off a customer when she failed to tip her on a nice size tab and I couldn't have been more proud because self respect and taking up for yourself when being mistreated rates above getting fired from a job that can be replaced. If I was that waitress I would have laughed in her face and sent her a book on evolution to wake her cheap *kitten* up. No way would I have tolerated that pastors blatant disrespect and they wouldn't have to worry about firing me because I would have quit then and there. Why is it some super religious people are some of the most horrible people alive? Catholic priests and their molestation of young boys for example?
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

I'm glad you are in a position where you can make such a choice. I have a Bachelor's and work at the restaurant in question. I just applied for a "real job" but will continue working there for extra money. Are you not aware that unemployment is still very high??

Don't know if anyone's seen this yet. People are doing sort of a counter movement. I don't care for the anti religion feel to it, but it's interesting.

734770_329339763844505_267159172_n.jpg

Edit: Crap, stupid size issue. There's an Applebee's receipt next to it that says "I give God 0% so you get 28%" with the tip.

I have very little knowledge of unemployment rates in the USA as I am British and currently live in South East Asia. I am also glad that I am in such a position, it hasn't always been the case, after I left University with my degree, I worked in a 1970's themed nightclub. Fortunately, I didn't stay there too long :smile:

(I left University in 2002)