Getting Healthy is Killing me!

Options
I'm not sure if its my age (49) or the fact that I have not worked out properly for about twenty years.

I have religiously weight trained total body for an hour three times a week for the last 8 weeks and I am finding that my muscles are in a constant state of aching, even after the 2 day rest!

When I used to train before (20yrs ago) I used to be able to recover by the next day, though I used to train more for sports fitness.

I train at home with some dumb bells. The weights are not very heavy, but I increase the intensity by using good form, slow movements and super setting (chest / back, quads / hams, biceps / triceps etc).
After my workout I can barely move, and the next morning I feel about 90!:frown:

My questions:
Is this normal? Does anyone else feel like this? Could it be my diet? Does it get any easier? Should I stick to more mature pastimes like dominoes and crochet? :laugh:

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The soreness will decrease as you maintain a lifting schedule. However, it should never get easier. If it does, add more weight. ;)

I remember when I started training this past summer, my legs and back stayed in a constant state of pain from squats and deadlifts. Now, I barely notice DOMS, with the exception of days when I am pushing for PRs, and even then, it's nothing like what it used to be.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Haha, I meant the constant aching getting easier, not my workouts.

Luckily I have not had any pain (yet) just a fatigue like aching.

Btw, what is 'DOMS'?
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should mix up your exercise, include some cardio and reduce your strength training, to 30 mins and then gradually increase.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I think it's just a symptom of getting more mature over time.

Make sure that you're stretching a great deal which will help the 'soreness' and drinking LOTS of water. Those two things should hopefully make a positive difference. Remember, you're supposed to get your 8 glasses of water everyday, and when you train hard you need WAY more. Help wash the gunk out of your body that your muscles expel when being used so much.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Btw, what is 'DOMS'?

Delayed onset muscle soreness :smile:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the 40s sort of suck in that regard. I totally hear you on that one. I have far more aches and pains than I did 5 or 6 years ago. But the soreness should ease up as you progress. Try mixing it up with some cardio here and there and don't forget to rest and drink plenty of water.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I think it's just a symptom of getting more mature over time.

Make sure that you're stretching a great deal which will help the 'soreness' and drinking LOTS of water. Those two things should hopefully make a positive difference. Remember, you're supposed to get your 8 glasses of water everyday, and when you train hard you need WAY more. Help wash the gunk out of your body that your muscles expel when being used so much.

I did read somewhere the importance of water and fitness. I try to drink between 1 and 2 litres a day. I think all the walking to and from the loo helps with the fitness lol.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Haha, I meant the constant aching getting easier, not my workouts.

Luckily I have not had any pain (yet) just a fatigue like aching.

Btw, what is 'DOMS'?

I'm in my mid 40s (43), and it is certainly harder to lift weights at 43 than when I was 39. All I can say is the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) aka "Sore muscles the following day" does decrease in intensity over time. As an earlier poster stated, it shouldn't completely go away, just the severity.

I recommend taking some ibuprofen after your workout is completed and drink lots of water and stretch before and after you work out.

Welcome to your late 40s! Look at it this way, it's better to be a little sore and exercise during your 40s than to not and have health problems during your 50s.
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just checking - are you warming up before hitting the weights and stretching afterwards?
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Maybe you should mix up your exercise, include some cardio and reduce your strength training, to 30 mins and then gradually increase.

I tend to do more cardio on the in between days. Could it be too much too soon? Or should I just 'man up' and accept its going to be uncomfortable.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    im not sure if this will help but raw ripe pineapple is the best to eat. it has bromelain and other bioflavonioids in it that help circulation and restore oxygen to extremeties...... try gettin 2-3 pineapples one week and eating a quarter or half of one everyday. i know it has alot of sugars, but i have leg problems and it really helps my muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A couple things that have helped ease my soreness are protein shortly after I lift, as well as a potassium boost...low sodium v8 or coconut water are my go to, along with a good amount of stretching and cool down after I lift.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    also you could have a deficiancy of some kind.......look up anemia and other things that could cause you to be fatigued. your body is trying to tell you something ! good luck and dont give up!
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Just checking - are you warming up before hitting the weights and stretching afterwards?

Yep, from my sporting days all those many, many years ago, I learnt the importance of proper warming up and warming down.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and a few weeks ago starting doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. Yes ...the DOMS.... it does usually last over until I lift again two days later!!!! I have been told that it does eventually go, but tbh, it kind of feels good. I can feel that the compound lifts really have worked almost all of the muscles in my body.

Yes, drinking loads of water does seem to be helping and I also do a Dynamic Stretch Routine every day if I can which also helps.

We shouldn't let our age put us off, if anything we should more so be doing this.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's hurting you but not killing you. lol

I can relate. I'm 60 and have the same issues as you. When it's real bad I might take a day off, soak in a tub of hot water, drink some cool water and stretch. Then the next day I hurt myself again. ;-)

I don't know any way around it since we're tearing muscle.

Geezers rule!
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I am 56 and a few weeks ago starting doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. Yes ...the DOMS.... it does usually last over until you lift again two days later!!!! I have been told that it does eventually go, but tbh, it kind of feels good. I can feel that the compound lifts really have worked almost all of the muscles in my body.

Yes, drinking loads of water does seem to be helping and I also do a Dynamic Stretch Routine every day if I can which also helps.

We shouldn't let our age put us off, if anything we should more so be doing this.

I know what you mean about the good feeling of having worked your self, but now I have started to feel 'unfit' because of the constant ache. I know 8 weeks is not very long in the bigger picture of things, just wondered if I was the only one feeling like this.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Paul - surprised you are still hurting after 8 weeks of doing your routine.
    I'm older and very rarely get any significant DOMS, even after really pushing hard to break through a plateau.

Maybe worth trying higher reps / lower weight for a weekto see if that makes any difference. Do you do any warmdown routine at all in case it's lactic acid causing you to feel you can hardly move at the end of a workout?

Diet-wise you should try eating at a surplus with good protein intake if you are trying to bulk up.

As for dominoes or crochet - NEVER act your age!! I hope to be embarrassing my kids for many years to come....
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Take some kind of protein within 30 min of your work out. My husband who is just a youngster (45), likes to sit in the jacuzzi after a hard weight training. Don't know if you have one of those available. Look at your diet, try to eat as clean as possible.

I like the sore in that it tells me I did a good work out, I didn't waste my time. I also can lift a lot more than 2 years ago, and I'm proud of it. So, yes I complain, but I know I'm headed inthe right direction. Health.