Can i eat anything as long as I stay under calorie goal?!?!

Options

Replies

• smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I say in order to lose weight you need to fuel your body with nutrients to best help that effort. MFP is to help you create a lifestyle change. I'd say try and treat yourself to something other than food. Maybe awesome sports seats or something. Pick one or two things a week to satisfy your cravings and use the rest to fuel your body and fill it with premium instead of unleaded! : )
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It just comes down to "health" versus "weight loss"

There are a million ways to lose weight, but they all come down to running a caloric deficit.

There is arguably only one way to eat healthy, please feel free to debate:

-Eat the highest quality, most humanely raised, local foods you can afford.
    -Limit processed foods and all the other obvious **** you shouldn't eat.
    -Eat nutrient dense whole foods, emphasis on vegetables and lean protein sources.
    -Vary your food sources, eat seasonal, and think about environmental impact.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, you can, but you're not going to be very healthy doing so.
    Not true. I eat McDonald's at least once a week and KNOW I'm healthier than a lot of vegans, paleo, clean eaters etc. who are overweight.
    Health isn't just about food. Health is encompassed by weight, essential nutrition, exercise, rest, genetics, environment, disease resistance and happiness. Delete any one of those and you can compromise your health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    While I agree with your comment. I believe she is talking about you micro nutrient intake from those types of foods.
    Maybe. But most people on here believe that eating any fast food is nothing but a detriment to weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And you can get as technical as you want. His question was can he eat anything he wants as long as its under his calorie goal...And then proceeded to list mcdonalds and cookies. If all he eats his *kitten*, his insides are going to go *kitten* as well, and he won't be very healthy.

Obviously adding those things in every once and a while, or even once a week, are not going to be detrimental to his health. But what if his "anything" means big macs and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies all day every day? You're telling me he will still be healthy as long as he's under his calorie goal? Bullsh*t :smile:
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a tasty burger I made at home than the crap at fast food places. I don't like chewing on "kinda" meat. So you can eat what you want if its under calories....but it doesn't mean you should do it a lot.BUT why not buy a nice, lean quality cut of beef, ground it up, add a dash of this and a dash of that, grill it, slap on some cheese, and eat that instead. Probably much tastier and not so high in calories.

Now I want a burger.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Not true. I eat McDonald's at least once a week and KNOW I'm healthier than a lot of vegans, paleo, clean eaters etc. who are overweight.
    Health isn't just about food. Health is encompassed by weight, essential nutrition, exercise, rest, genetics, environment, disease resistance and happiness. Delete any one of those and you can compromise your health.

IDEA Fitness member
    While I agree with your comment. I believe she is talking about you micro nutrient intake from those types of foods.
    Maybe. But most people on here believe that eating any fast food is nothing but a detriment to weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

and i believe too that encouraging people to eat mcdonalds regularly under the mistaken belief it's okay could be very much a slippery slope for some. I don't think a burger or bit of pizza or whatever now and then is the end of the world, but taking it off the menu while kickstarting a healthy eating plan is my preference
    It can be. Statistically the average person will diet 7 times in their lifetime and fail almost all 7 times. Why? Because most diets rely on restriction or abstinence of foods that they may enjoy. Some can hold off, but eventually cave to missing the food. Disappointment sets in and program is discarded and the weight regain happens due to failure.
    Since I've changed my approach with clients (I used to only preach "clean eating") several years ago, weight regain amongst my clients has been about 1 out of about 20 compared to 9 out 10 from my previous philosophy. It's easier for most to learn how to control rather than to abstain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

McDonalds goes straight to my boobs. And I don't need anymore of those! :drinker:
    I know females who wish they had those genetics.:laugh: They'd be slamming some McD's.

IDEA Fitness member
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

and i believe too that encouraging people to eat mcdonalds regularly under the mistaken belief it's okay could be very much a slippery slope for some. I don't think a burger or bit of pizza or whatever now and then is the end of the world, but taking it off the menu while kickstarting a healthy eating plan is my preference
    It can be. Statistically the average person will diet 7 times in their lifetime and fail almost all 7 times. Why? Because most diets rely on restriction or abstinence of foods that they may enjoy. Some can hold off, but eventually cave to missing the food. Disappointment sets in and program is discarded and the weight regain happens due to failure.
    Since I've changed my approach with clients (I used to only preach "clean eating") several years ago, weight regain amongst my clients has been about 1 out of about 20 compared to 9 out 10 from my previous philosophy. It's easier for most to learn how to control rather than to abstain.

IDEA Fitness member

i also absolutely agree with that, especially that control is easier than abstinence. But control has to be learned and applied, and I wouldn't want the OP to think that McD's all the time was a great alternative - my flatmate eats ten takeaway meals a WEEK and so this is something I've totally seen.

So saying, deprivation is idiotic and as someone who controls a minor eating disorder (anorexic-style self-starvation as a control technique) I know i can't do it. so I manipulate what i want to fit in my calories, eating a smaller portion of something I want that's high calorie etc.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I say in order to lose weight you need to fuel your body with nutrients to best help that effort. MFP is to help you create a lifestyle change. I'd say try and treat yourself to something other than food. Maybe awesome sports seats or something. Pick one or two things a week to satisfy your cravings and use the rest to fuel your body and fill it with premium instead of unleaded! : )
    Which is why for many the 80/20 approach works. Hit that macro/micro nutrient goal everyday and any leftover calories are free for whatever.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

My preference is not having to skip junk food for the rest of my life - I'd be a lot more likely to stop a "diet" that required that.
  • Bsaintelus
    Bsaintelus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! I absolutely love fast food so I know how hard it will be to just say no every time i smell McDonalds whenever I drive by. But I have been smarter lately and can attest to the fact that a single packet of cinnamon swirl quaker instant oatmeal in the morning kept me fulll for like 4 hours while a sausage egg and cheese mcmuffin with hash bown lasted aout a half hour lol:laugh: . I'm definitely growing more keen to making better meal choices. Btw I'm a little new even though my account is old so feel free to add me for support! I can definitely use it! Abs by summer '13!!!!
  • Bsaintelus
    Options
    Agreed. No one will ever be able to tell me to stop eating fast food cold turkey. The smell alone when driving by fast food restaurants would make me want to kill myself...
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify something. I am studying to become a Registered Dietician now, so I am not giving advice with no background, just to make sure I don't seem naggy. Yes, it is okay to eat what you love. I enjoy food and have a lot of trouble controlling my diet, so I understand what it is like to crave certain types of food. Yes, you can eat McDonalds or even live on McDonalds and still lose weight. However, I have to disagree with the previous poster in a way. You will NOT be as healthy as if you ate fresh foods and kept all other parts of your lifestyle the same. Meaning, if you work out 1 hr a day, keep your health the same (drink/don't drink, etc) and were to decide between McDonalds & cookies everyday OR fresh fruits, vegetables & pasta, you would find a difference on your overall health and possibly, not surely, but possibly your life span. Many chain/fast food restaurants contain GMO's and unhealthy additives. Small choices in your diet can affect it more than you know. For example, eating margarine everyday will have different impacts than eating butter everyday. Some argue that this depends most on the trans fats (whichever has less is better) because some fats are worse than others. Some other people will argue that even if butter has more trans fat, it is better because it doesn't contain the unnatural ingredients found in a lot of margarine, which can be hard on the digestive track since they are not as natural. While McDonalds won't likely cause you to stay overweight if you eat your calories, it may have other negative effects on the body, even if you exercise routinely, because the additives and processing it goes through at not healthy either. I would say eat it, but don't eat it all the time and make sure to keep some fresh foods, like fruit & vegetables, in your diet. If you cut your favorite foods out completely, all at once, it may be difficult to stick to your new diet/lifestyle. If you ever decide to drop the less healthy foods, try to do so a little at a time.
  • Bsaintelus
    Options
    That last post was to you JuDDDing lol
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! I absolutely love fast food so I know how hard it will be to just say no every time i smell McDonalds whenever I drive by. But I have been smarter lately and can attest to the fact that a single packet of cinnamon swirl quaker instant oatmeal in the morning kept me fulll for like 4 hours while a sausage egg and cheese mcmuffin with hash bown lasted aout a half hour lol:laugh: . I'm definitely growing more keen to making better meal choices. Btw I'm a little new even though my account is old so feel free to add me for support! I can definitely use it! Abs by summer '13!!!!

You and me both!!! I just started a month ago! We can do this : )
  • bobroxwannabox
    bobroxwannabox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say yes, but with fast food, calories are not the only thing you are consuming. McDonalds is a multi billion dollar business and their bottom line is to make money with little regard to what their products actually do to people. To do so, they add highly addictive substances to their food, causing some intense cravings. They also add chemicals that severely impair your body's ability to tell your brain you are full! SO, after eating the Big Mac, you may actually be hungrier an hour later than before you ate anything. If you like burgers, I suggest you fire up that grill and make them at home. It's way better bang for your caloric bucks, so to speak.

Source: http://lindamelosnd.com/articles/why-you-can’t-eat-just-one
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Agreed. No one will ever be able to tell me to stop eating fast food cold turkey. The smell alone when driving by fast food restaurants would make me want to kill myself...

This sounds more like a food addiction......and its kind of disturbing. It really doesn't seem like you're ready for a healthy lifestyle change
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i eat mcdonalds nearly every day look at my diary.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I say if it fits in your macros (which I suggest to be set to 40/30/30 c/f/p), then go for it. I wouldn't advise eating Mcdonald's EVERY day. But once a week won't hurt you.
    I used to believe that you shoudln't & should eat healthy ALL the time, but I've since learned. You're much happier when you allow yourself a little leeway and some treats sometimes. I'm gluten intolerant, so I feel restricted enough. Honestly, you need to be eating in a way you could the rest of your life. Not saying that eating clean all the time is wrong. But saying that treating yourself within reason isn't wrong at all either. All about moderation. :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    And to those that say a Big Mac has no nutritional value......wrong. It's not the best nutritional value, but it still has value.

Carbs 46
    Fiber 3
    Protein 25
    Fat 29

IDEA Fitness member

I say listen to this guy. Big Macs are a better source of protein than my weakness which is potato chips! And if you eat like you love to eat and keep it simple, it will be easier to stay on goal. When my goal is fat loss I consider calories first, then I look at what my calorie intake consists of.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    simple answer . EAT WHAT U WANT