Can i eat anything as long as I stay under calorie goal?!?!

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can if you want. Its the calories that'll determine your weight loss. But making better choices of your food will give your body the nutrition it needs.

But there's nothing wrong with a Big Mac once a week, say.

That sounds about right. I have chocolate every day, but it's only a small amount of my total intake. Most of my food is healthy, but delicious.
  • Bsaintelus
    Bsaintelus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify something. I am studying to become a Registered Dietician now, so I am not giving advice with no background
    Many chain/fast food restaurants contain GMO's and unhealthy additives.
    it may have other negative effects on the body, even if you exercise routinely, because the additives and processing it goes through at not healthy either.

Is this information you are getting at school? Or pre-existing opinions? Or something you read on the web or in a "documentary"?

It seems like it would be a bit odd if this sort of thing is being taught to registered dietitians (who should (IMO) be focusing on science more than opinions - at least during their studies).

(Oh, and there is no 'c' in 'dietitian' - not trying to be rude)

Haha. JUDDDing,I'm reading all of your posts and you seem to be one of the more sensible members of this network. Thanks for your input. That said, everyones opinion matters here and no one is definitely wrong about this subject. I have, however eaten alot less fast food and snacks like chocolates and pastries and those delicious premade nestle cookies that come in squares and take like 15 minutes to bake(yumm). These changes have led to immediate results that I can see just by looking in the mirror. I don't think its necessary to stop any "unhealthy" eating habit cold turkey. I think its best to just practice quantity control and have a better understanding of what will make you fat vs. what will make you fit
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Agreed. No one will ever be able to tell me to stop eating fast food cold turkey. The smell alone when driving by fast food restaurants would make me want to kill myself...

This sounds more like a food addiction......and its kind of disturbing. It really doesn't seem like you're ready for a healthy lifestyle change

Lol it was a joke. I would never kill myself over food haha. However, I do love the smell of McDonalds fries whenever I drive by. I was just saying that it would be very diffcult to keep a diet that forced me to stay completely away from all fast foods. I need to have a spike day once in a while in order to stay on track and not have my taste buds going crazy. Especially when I see friends and family eating whatever they want. Thats the toughest

Oh thank god. I was actually worried! Its hard. Very hard. Hell, my favorite is a chocolate hazelnut milkshake from Burgerville. I went a whole hear waiting for it to be in season.I've been eating healthy for the last 2 months so I had a small one. It was delicious, when I went to add it in k almost cried. So I worked my butt off that not.

In all fairness though, I quit smoking cold turkey. All of my friends smoke...my bf smokes...and I am still not smoking, of a puff here and there, of a drag either. No excuses, just say you want it. Its hard but I would be more than willing to make you some amazing burger recipes when you have that craving!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

And you can get as technical as you want. His question was can he eat anything he wants as long as its under his calorie goal...And then proceeded to list mcdonalds and cookies. If all he eats his *kitten*, his insides are going to go *kitten* as well, and he won't be very healthy.

Obviously adding those things in every once and a while, or even once a week, are not going to be detrimental to his health. But what if his "anything" means big macs and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies all day every day? You're telling me he will still be healthy as long as he's under his calorie goal? Bullsh*t :smile:

I'm afraid that this just isn't factually correct. I know it seems so on it's face, but there is no science to back it up. Just the opposite, really. All the data points to that if he loses weight, all of his insides will turn to gold, meaning all of his labs and vitals will improve significantly.

plus i don't think he's going to eat nothing but mcdonalds every day. i mean, there's got to be a taco bell around his house to mix that *kitten* up sometimes.

Hahahaha Taco Bell will *kitten* him up foreal! :tongue:

And if it were true that him simply losing weight equals him being healthy then there would be no unhealthy thin people, and we all know that thats not the case.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    For the love of god please stop talking about McD's, the thought of it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. >.<:sick:

It's good to look at the QUALITY of calories than the QUANTITY - what's a few pounds off the scale if I still look & feel like crap? I want to be healthy & feel amazing! Wouldn't you?

I eat pretty darn well, & the only thing I have regularly in my diet that isn't totally healthy is cheese - I love cheese & don't ever want to give it up, but I do have it more in moderation now, & usually choose mozzarella which is lower in fat & cals in comparison to most other cheese.
    This isn't to say I don't have pizza every once in awhile - I am human.

I'd much rather eat 2,000 calories of good food than 1,000 calories of fat & sugar.
    Clean eating DOESN'T ensure health. If we're doing direct comparisons of bodies, then my profile should look like **** if quality of food is all that counted when it comes to health. I should have high cholesterol, clogged arteries, massive liver damage and more since I've been eating McD's since 3rd grade. No dice. I'm healthier than many 25 year old males. Goes to show that nutrition is only part of the circle. It's important no doubt, but one doesn't have to eat like a caveman to be healthy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i just started here a month ago. i lost weight pretty quickly. come week 4 it slowed way way down. i INCREASED my calories and LOST weight. who would have every known! and to get the extra calories i now eat a yummy night time snack. the past two days, nutter butter.. honey bun.. and lost 2 pounds? yep! junk food helped me lose weight! funny how that works.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes, but don't. Because it's horribly unhealthy for you. Once a week? Sure! McDonald's every day? Yeah, if you want to die before you're 50....
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Many chain/fast food restaurants contain GMO's and unhealthy additives. Small choices in your diet can affect it more than you know

Well even "organic" fruits and veggies arent grown with non-GMO seeds....so that's not a valid argument.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering how generous I should be towards my cravings and appetites when it comes to foods that I clearly shouldn't be eating. A Big Mac is supposedly 550 calories and I love me some Micky D's. My calorie goal is around 2,000 so can I eat a Bic Mac or 2 on any given day or should I stay away? Can I eat 5 white choclate macadamian nut cookies once per day like I want to? :laugh: Tryin to get back to bein sexy for the summer! Need motivaton and advice!

Read this article. It should help answer all your questions:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

To be clear I am not recommending this, just stating that if your goal is solely to lose weight it would work. Moderation is the key for most people. When I losing weight last fall I never gave up pizza. Instead I just limited myself to having it 2 days a week or so. Good luck!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, but don't. Because it's horribly unhealthy for you. Once a week? Sure! McDonald's every day? Yeah, if you want to die before you're 50....

I don't know why, but this kind of goofy crap always leaves me speechless...
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You will be skinny fat
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. That said, everyones opinion matters here and no one is definitely wrong about this subject. I have, however eaten alot less fast food and snacks like chocolates and pastries and those delicious premade nestle cookies that come in squares and take like 15 minutes to bake(yumm). These changes have led to immediate results that I can see just by looking in the mirror. I don't think its necessary to stop any "unhealthy" eating habit cold turkey. I think its best to just practice quantity control and have a better understanding of what will make you fat vs. what will make you fit

Yeah, definitely agree. And nothing against having food opinions about additives, sweeteners, GMOs, etc as long as no one (with authority) is trying to pass them off as facts at this point. So it's more about the teaching than the opinions.

I'm doing the same thing - there's no way I'm skipping pizza for the rest of my life. But every other Friday instead of weekly and half a pizza instead of a whole now. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Don Gorske would refute this. He's 59 and eats McD's everyday since 1972.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Technically yes, you can, but you're not going to be very healthy doing so.
    Not true. I eat McDonald's at least once a week and KNOW I'm healthier than a lot of vegans, paleo, clean eaters etc. who are overweight.
    Health isn't just about food. Health is encompassed by weight, essential nutrition, exercise, rest, genetics, environment, disease resistance and happiness. Delete any one of those and you can compromise your health.

IDEA Fitness member
    While I agree with your comment. I believe she is talking about you micro nutrient intake from those types of foods.
    Maybe. But most people on here believe that eating any fast food is nothing but a detriment to weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

And you can get as technical as you want. His question was can he eat anything he wants as long as its under his calorie goal...And then proceeded to list mcdonalds and cookies. If all he eats his *kitten*, his insides are going to go *kitten* as well, and he won't be very healthy.

Obviously adding those things in every once and a while, or even once a week, are not going to be detrimental to his health. But what if his "anything" means big macs and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies all day every day? You're telling me he will still be healthy as long as he's under his calorie goal? Bullsh*t :smile:
    Well no, the OP never stated that McD's or Macadamia cookies are the staple of their intake. She just asked if she could have it.
    80/20 rule would work here.

IDEA Fitness member

It doesn't matter if he specifically SAID what he was going to eat or not. He asked if he could eat anything he wanted. My point in saying "Technically yes, but it wouldn't be very healthy" was to say that if "anything you want" are only the things you just listed (or comparable food items), then yes, you will lose weight but no, you will not be healthy.

If "anything I want" accommodates 80/20, then fine. If "anything I want" accommodates 20/80, I would ASSUME thats not healthy.

But then again I'm not a professional....Never claimed to be, so what do I know?! lol :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You will be skinny fat
    Not if you're lifting heavy!:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Thanks for your input. That said, everyones opinion matters here and no one is definitely wrong about this subject. I have, however eaten alot less fast food and snacks like chocolates and pastries and those delicious premade nestle cookies that come in squares and take like 15 minutes to bake(yumm). These changes have led to immediate results that I can see just by looking in the mirror. I don't think its necessary to stop any "unhealthy" eating habit cold turkey. I think its best to just practice quantity control and have a better understanding of what will make you fat vs. what will make you fit

Yeah, definitely agree. And nothing against having food opinions about additives, sweeteners, GMOs, etc as long as no one (with authority) is trying to pass them off as facts at this point. So it's more about the teaching than the opinions.

I'm doing the same thing - there's no way I'm skipping pizza for the rest of my life. But every other Friday instead of weekly and half a pizza instead of a whole now. :)

I would do dirty things for a well-done pizza with pepperoni, bacon, and ham. Just throw the whole pig on there. :love:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not true. I eat McDonald's at least once a week and KNOW I'm healthier than a lot of vegans, paleo, clean eaters etc. who are overweight.
    Health isn't just about food. Health is encompassed by weight, essential nutrition, exercise, rest, genetics, environment, disease resistance and happiness. Delete any one of those and you can compromise your health.

IDEA Fitness member
    While I agree with your comment. I believe she is talking about you micro nutrient intake from those types of foods.
    Maybe. But most people on here believe that eating any fast food is nothing but a detriment to weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

Well no, the OP never stated that McD's or Macadamia cookies are the staple of their intake. She just asked if she could have it.

IDEA Fitness member

It doesn't matter if he specifically SAID what he was going to eat or not. He asked if he could eat anything he wanted. My point in saying "Technically yes, but it wouldn't be very healthy" was to say that if "anything you want" are only the things you just listed (or comparable food items), then yes, you will lose weight but no, you will not be healthy.

If "anything I want" accommodates 80/20, then fine. If "anything I want" accommodates 20/80, I would ASSUME thats not healthy.

But then again I'm not a professional....Never claimed to be, so what do I know?! lol :flowerforyou:
    I agree on the 20/80!:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    so to sum it up , yes u can eat what u want if it fits your macros
  • angelams1019
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I agree on the 20/80!:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

SUCCESS!!! :drinker:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Not gonna be good all the time but once in a while is ok providing you have control.