Gym newbies already gone at my gym ...

Options
123457»

Replies

• 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, mine's been getting steadily more crowded. Some lady even took my favorite elliptical yesterday- BASTAD!! Oh well, cheers to them :) it'll probably be pretty dead Monday!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Why do people cheer about this? The way I see it, if your gym and it's members had been more supportive of the newbies at a time when you all knew they would be challenged, maybe you could have helped them stick with it and made a real difference in more of their lives. Clearly, your gym doesn't do well by the members who need it the most (the new ones).

Haha, how ridiculous, they're adults and shouldn't have to rely on support from strangers to keep them going....it's upto each individual.

Rediculous? You are on a site built on members supporting each other....
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my only problem with the New Years mofos is that they haven't learned even a glimmer of gym etiquette in the early stages. Nothing I like more than having to strip every damned bar I come to and hunt for plates for ten minutes because stuff is scattered all over hell. I literally had to walk to six different racks and benches to gather enough for deadlifts last night.

hmmm, and that's not considered cardio? :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Still pretty empty at 3:30 am. Just the same few crazy people.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am actually backwards, I am going to start going back next week. I took a couple weeks off for personal reasons but did continue my workouts at home (walking, wii fit and such)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my only problem with the New Years mofos is that they haven't learned even a glimmer of gym etiquette in the early stages. Nothing I like more than having to strip every damned bar I come to and hunt for plates for ten minutes because stuff is scattered all over hell. I literally had to walk to six different racks and benches to gather enough for deadlifts last night.

hmmm, and that's not considered cardio? :)

Maybe. Hehe. My wife and I lift together and share a rack when it's crowded so as not to take up space unnecessarily. So if I tracked every plate I picked up and walked with, loaded and unloaded, my total volume would look insane.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like to encourage newcomers at my gym ,but I do not feel it's up to me for them to keep coming back nor is it my fault they do not stick with it
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob at the gym..And it's easily the best part of my day. But, I got laughed at by two other chicks at the gym for asking how to work the elliptical machine. =( Why must they laugh? Why not just be polite and answer my question minus the obvious laugh at my stupidity and the little snicker from each of you as you walk away? They were talking about everyone else there anyway when they were on the treadmills. Le sigh..Females.

That sucks! But look at it this way - if someone was rude to you at McDonalds (or insert the supplier of your particular weakness here) you wouldn't stop eating McDonalds. :) Stay mentally tough and don't let mean people rob you of what you deserve - being tough physically. :)
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Some people just don't understand gym etiquette if they have never gone, so maybe asking someone if you someone doing something ask them if they are going to be coming back to use the equipment if not, could they please put it back. When I'm doing a lifting routine I keep my stuff on the bar and next to my bells at different stations I've created and nothing makes me more angry than when someone has taken my stuff from my station!!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob at the gym..And it's easily the best part of my day. But, I got laughed at by two other chicks at the gym for asking how to work the elliptical machine. =( Why must they laugh? Why not just be polite and answer my question minus the obvious laugh at my stupidity and the little snicker from each of you as you walk away? They were talking about everyone else there anyway when they were on the treadmills. Le sigh..Females.

That sucks! But look at it this way - if someone was rude to you at McDonalds (or insert the supplier of your particular weakness here) you wouldn't stop eating McDonalds. :) Stay mentally tough and don't let mean people rob you of what you deserve - being tough physically. :)

If that were the case I wouldn't be here. Damnit why cant people at mcdonalds be meaner.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Still pretty empty at 3:30 am. Just the same few crazy people.

Same at 4:30.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Some people just don't understand gym etiquette if they have never gone, so maybe asking someone if you someone doing something ask them if they are going to be coming back to use the equipment if not, could they please put it back. When I'm doing a lifting routine I keep my stuff on the bar and next to my bells at different stations I've created and nothing makes me more angry than when someone has taken my stuff from my station!!

I get that, and I'll usually scout a station for a few minutes before I head for it if there's stuff still loaded. That being said, during our gym's peak hours, once you get to a rack, you had better keep your *kitten* in it until you are done with it. I've seen racks get sniped during a 30 second trip to the water fountain.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mine are still there! I hope they leave soon. I go after midnight due to work hours, and they are there until 2 judging everyone, staring at their phones, showing each other youtube videos and sitting on the machines. I did my justice by turning them in, but I guess they're making full use of their monthly dues. >.>

Did I mention the lines forming for the machines they sit on?! Frustrating.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I skipped most of January at my gym so when I went back this week it looked like business as usual to me. Being out for foot surgery recovery put a crimp in my treadmill pace and strength circuit settings :( Sadpanda
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I paid for over two years before I started going
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    images_zps48e1eb6c.jpg

:laugh:
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOL! I was actually thinking that today in the gym. I was looking around and the gym seemed so much emptier than the past few weeks. Though, I am a newbie also. Let's see if I make it to March.
  • tweak222
    Options
    Hurray for P90X :) I just do it at home. No, newbies or pros, just me and my pool of sweat!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Ettiquette period- since when is it ever ok to throw your stuff around and not clean up? We have full service towels, cleaning, ect. I feel for the housekeeping, especially in January. My daughter works at one of our gyms as a housekeeper, and yes, this is the most frustrating and exhausting thing- she is hauling weights for hours- reracking them because people just can't put stuff away. But yes, very frustrating, also as frustrating to go use equipment and someone leaves their free weights on the presses- by the time you reset weights- clean the machine cause no way am I laying on that until its been thoroughly wiped down- you can lose minutes of what you need to sustain in your own workout.